FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Home Tiki Bars The Zombie Hideaway
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 Next Page )
The Zombie Hideaway
TabooDan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-04-29 6:17 pm   Permalink

Okay, here's another view of the corner:

There's that Tiki again! In this shot you can see the sea grass on the roof a bit better. It looks good with just this but that Heather fencing will really make this roof pop!

Here we are just starting to mount it after we had cut it to fit:

Quite awkward to do and you need at least two people to do this. Don't know how the great Bamboo Ben does it!! Working on the ceiling is one of the hardest and back breaking things!!

Here is a shot of the left side:

Kind of awkward to get a good shot of it but here is one of the right side once the Heather was mounted:

You also get to see the bench as well as the large bamboo that will go on either side of the doorway.

I want the bamboo on the walls in this area, under the Hut, to go either side of the bench and meet up with the bar area. I wanted to carry this theme on with the bench design as well. I had done this same style on a previous bench and liked the way it came out.

First I had to add wood that was going to frame the bamboo that would be mounted to the bench. I forgot to take a picture of the unfinished wood once it was all cut and mounted.

Here is a shot of the wood mounted and stained:

In the plain, unfinished areas is where I will mount the bamboo.

Like this:

You won't see any of the backing once completed.

A few trick cuts and this end complete:

Alot of cuts but it comes out nice:

Here's the smaller left bench done along with the bamboo mounted on this side of the wall as well:

I went with a smaller bamboo just to break it up but also because I did not want to use a thick bamboo that stuck out past the finished wood.

Another shot of the area not quite finished:

I will post some more shots soon.
Mahalo, TabooDan

View Profile of TabooDan Send a personal message to TabooDan  Goto the website of TabooDan     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mr. Pupu Pants
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-04-29 7:32 pm   Permalink

Beautiful, Dan. Just beautiful.

View Profile of Mr. Pupu Pants Send a personal message to Mr. Pupu Pants  Email Mr. Pupu Pants     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TabooDan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-04-30 5:52 pm   Permalink

Thanks Mr. Pupu!

Here's are a couple crappy shots of the bench once all the bamboo was mounted:

At the same time I'm doing the roof and the woodworking for the bench, I figured I would start building the shelf unit that will go behind the bar. I wanted something that had to be custom to fit my space. The room isn't too large so the depth would be important. The bar would be going in front of this unit so I had to keep that in mind.

The key also is that I don't want a window in this room!! The Zombie Hideaway needs to be just that, a Hideaway! Any true Tiki Bar can't have windows. Well, dark as can be anyway. I guess some places it works, like with some of the newer Bars. But, if you have an authentic old one, no windows!
Plus, I need the wall space and can't have a big window in the way!! The trick here is that I live in a townhouse so we can't take the window out or anything like that so we gotta cover it up. No problems!!

Here's a rough drawing(actually, a work of art on it's own!!)of what I had planned:

I wanted to have cabinet space on the lower half with glass doors and extra storage. This was one of the few places I can actually get to have doors with some of the collection behind glass. Other areas of the room I will not be able to do it because of the over all look I want.

The top half, left and right side, was being specifically made to house glassware and bottles on shelves. The center area was being built to display something specific in my collection. The goal here was to have a velvet painting in the center of the cabinet with a few small stylistic cut shelves either side.

I have a rare velvet painting done by Frank Schirman. As you probably already know, he also made quite a few beautiful black coral pieces. I thought it would be interesting to have his velvet as the center piece and have a few of his coral pieces either side of it. Well, that's what I want to do anyway!!
The whole cabinet would be dark stained and have a mixture of adjustable glass and wood shelves, a couple of drawers, mirror backed, lighting and a thatch roof running along the top.

Okay, here's a shot of the area again with the window on the left wall opposite the bench area:

Rough lower cabinet assembled:

In this shot you can see the tongue and grove pieces on the wall. At first these were only about 14" or so down the wall until I changed that and mounted more so they ran right to the cabinet.

Shot of the lower section built with cabinet doors checking sizing and rough counter sitting on top:

Room shot again:

Here you can see matting added to the wall area that may be seen and the counter top piece cut and shaped:

Cabinet door's mounted to base and two drawers made and in place:

Close shot to show detail of left drawer:

I like doing these kind of hidden tray's that fit into drawers! Kind of a neat detail. Perfect for stir stix, napkins or matchbooks! Top piece slides back and forth to reveal what's below. You can also do them as a tray that fits the whole drawer that way you have a hidden compartment. Gotta stash your stash somewhere!! You can also see the holes drilled for the adjustable shelving that will go inside.

Here is a photo of the top section starting to get cut and sized up:

You can also see the corner shelf unit I started playing around with. Not sure how I wanted this to look but did want some small shelves for the corner possibly to display oddly shaped items like some bowls and the like.

Photo of upper left and right sections assembled:

Shot's of lower section with doors, drawer faces and center mounted shelves:

Hey look......No window!!:

Once that window was covered up, the whole room took on another feel!! You can see the Heather mounted on the roof a bit better in these as well.
1/4" G1S Pine plywood for backing. Once this was attached, this will support the finishing details I plan on doing and make a nice strong backing to the whole cabinet. Two fixed shelves for added support.

Once the cabinet is all sanded up, nice and smooth, it's time to stain:

Still gotta add the lower section backing and the upper details.

Man these posts take a while!! Gotta run now but more to come!!
Mahalo, TabooDan

[ This Message was edited by: TabooDan 2009-05-01 06:14 ]

View Profile of TabooDan Send a personal message to TabooDan  Goto the website of TabooDan     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TabooDan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-03 4:06 pm   Permalink

I just wanted to show this bench again after the wood and bamboo was attached:

I had done one of this style before where I did the bamboo surrounded by dark wood and we were quite happy with it. The dark wood and the lite colored bamboo really gave a cool color contrast.

The bench that I had done before in my previous lounge inspired a cool custom frame that I had done for one of Heather Watts paintings. I figured I would show it here.
Heather had asked me to do a frame for an upcoming Art Show. At first we couldn't nail down a design. I had done some others for her but she wanted something a little different.

In our old Tiki Lounge we had this bench which I had done like the one above except the bamboo went horizontal instead of vertical. Heather held the painting she had done on the bench and it looked really cool. The cedar wood stained dark gives it almost a red tinge and we knew it would work.

Here's the frame all stained and ready:

And here's the frame with her piece called "Insert Coin":

This photo is of her piece hanging on the wall at the Roq La Rue Gallery in Seattle, Wa., where was on display for the Tiki Art Now III Show. It came out pretty good. The bamboo that she had painted in the background went with the bamboo on the frame.

Man...I love her stuff!! Heather's colors are so vivid, great details, and there is always so much going on.

Anyways, that's it for now!
Mahalo, TabooDan

Sam Gambino
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-03 10:22 pm   Permalink

What a place! Looking fine - Well done so far TabooDan!

View Profile of Sam Gambino Send a personal message to Sam Gambino  Email Sam Gambino Goto the website of Sam Gambino     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-04 9:47 pm   Permalink

Quite awkward to do and you need at least two people to do this. Don't know how the great Bamboo Ben does it!! Working on the ceiling is one of the hardest and back breaking things!!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cheers Taboo!

It hurts after a while. Then everything just goes numb.

Killer room!

Bamboo Ben
Custom Tropical Decor
I build Tiki Rooms for you! Just ask around ;)
https://www.facebook.com/bamboo.ben

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TabooDan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-19 3:28 pm   Permalink

Hey Gambino, Thanks for checking it out!! More to come so keep checking back man! Gotta get one of your pieces in here one day!! I'd like to feature a bunch of different artists in the Lounge and you are definitely on the list. Love checking out your always interesting and inspiring artwork!!

Mahalo!!
TabooDan

TabooDan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-19 3:41 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-05-04 21:47, RevBambooBen wrote:

Cheers Taboo!

It hurts after a while. Then everything just goes numb.

Killer room!

You're right about everything going numb! Started to do the bamboo on the roof and that wasn't much better!! Thanks for not making fun of anything I am doing yet!! The white and colored paint you see will all be gone!!

Thanks also for the post RevBambooBen!! You have truly inspired more than just me with your remarkable and very talented craftsmanship!! Managed to get to Frankie's a few weeks back and the place looked great! Keep em' coming!

Many Mahalos!!!
TabooDan

Queen Kamehameha
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-19 4:08 pm   Permalink

Dan, the room is looking great, keep posting!

Amy

View Profile of Queen Kamehameha Send a personal message to Queen Kamehameha  Email Queen Kamehameha Goto the website of Queen Kamehameha     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Iokona Ki'i
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-19 4:58 pm   Permalink

What an amazing job you're doing with this place!
Can't wait to see it finished. Great details!

View Profile of Iokona Ki'i Send a personal message to Iokona Ki'i  Email Iokona Ki'i Goto the website of Iokona Ki'i     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ZuluMagoo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-19 6:40 pm   Permalink

Excellent progress Dan! Looks fantastic.

View Profile of ZuluMagoo Send a personal message to ZuluMagoo  Email ZuluMagoo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
greentikipat
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-22 4:57 pm   Permalink

man, the Zombie Hideaway is looking so great! excellent craftsmanship Taboo. i enjoyed the shots of boards. that red per welinder was my first 'new' deck ever! man, good times. keep up the cool stuff!

View Profile of greentikipat Send a personal message to greentikipat  Email greentikipat Goto the website of greentikipat     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kahalakruzer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-26 5:56 pm   Permalink

I still love how the fireplace turned out...very old-school oriental vibe. Looks like you've done a very thorough job on the craftsmanship of the bench and shelving units. I know how that can be overlooked sometimes, but you definitely took the time and it turned out awesome! Keep it up!

View Profile of kahalakruzer Send a personal message to kahalakruzer      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kon-Hemsby
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-27 05:17 am   Permalink

Fantastic work. Great inspiration.

View Profile of Kon-Hemsby Send a personal message to Kon-Hemsby  Email Kon-Hemsby     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TabooDan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-27 8:45 pm   Permalink

Thank you all VERY MUCH for the kind words!! I appreciate you taking the time to post here and let me know what you think!!
One of my favorite things here on TC is to check out what and how other people are building and doing so to have my own post on what I am creating is kind of cool.

I hope that I can do at least a little to inspire some who check out my posts and maybe entertain a few while your surfing around here. You too, who post here, inspire me to do more and motivate me to pull the finger out and get this room done!! So thank you again!

More photos too follow shortly!!
Many Mahalo's from The Zombie Hideaway!!

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation