FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving Geedavee is posting carvings.
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
Geedavee is posting carvings.
geedavee
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-02-03 8:48 pm   Permalink

This took about 20 hours of total work.

I need to do more of the big stuff with the chainsaw.

Thanks for all the input.

View Profile of geedavee Send a personal message to geedavee  Goto the website of geedavee     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
geedavee
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-04-18 11:39 am   Permalink

I just finished my latest tiki. Now that the weather is improving, I hope to do more carving.

I found someone that can provide me with a few bigger logs so I can start adding bodies and head-dresses.

Kind comments welcome. Still looking for my own style. This one was based on a drawing I saw.

View Profile of geedavee Send a personal message to geedavee  Goto the website of geedavee     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
seeksurf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-04-18 5:01 pm   Permalink

Nice job, i like the mouth and teeth on this guy.
Cool that you are thinking going full sized.

View Profile of seeksurf Send a personal message to seeksurf  Email seeksurf Goto the website of seeksurf     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
geedavee
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-11 4:57 pm   Permalink

I am currently trying to do a tiki that actually has a carved body and it looks like I have made a few errors.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what to do with his face/head/chest?
I know his legs are a bit thin, but I don't think I can do anything with that without risking him losing one.

Right now he looks like one of those guys at the gym that just work out their upper body.

[ This Message was edited by: geedavee 2009-05-11 16:57 ]

Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-12 05:13 am   Permalink

Aww,Gee, lemme See, I wold just start working on the features and detail, rounding out the arms, shaping the body, shaping the head/headdress and then some finer finish tats or whatever fits in.
This in Paint with a mouse who has not yet had breakfast. Just a suggestion. There is Always a lot you can do to a piece which is in the rough-out stage seemingly over cut and messed up. When you work your way out of these problems it makes the carving special and makes you a better carver. So Just start shaping and have fun!

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
geedavee
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-12 7:54 pm   Permalink

Thanks so much for your input. I did my best to take your advice.

I still have more shaping to do. I broke off the nose, but wood glue took care of it.
Also this wood smells like ammonia. I am hoping it isn't some cats urine.

Thanks again.

TikiMango
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-13 05:06 am   Permalink

I'm using a TouchPad and Paint, so my sketch is crude as well. He still looks a bit heavy in the chest since his legs are on the thin side. Like you said, I wouldn't mess with his legs as you might lose one, but you can work on his chest and arms more.

If you were to remove the material in Red (maybe carve as deep as you did at his neck), and smooth out the area in Blue, you could make his arms look like they are bent at the elbows with his hands touching at his stomach/belly. This would also give him some nice pectoral muscles.

View Profile of TikiMango Send a personal message to TikiMango  Email TikiMango     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
geedavee
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-13 7:27 pm   Permalink

Thanks for the advice TikiMango, but I couldn't redo the arms without having to deal with the fingers I already carved so I decided to finish up on this one and move on to the next one.

Here it is with the first coat of shellac.

I am hoping that 3 coats of shellac and 3 coats of Poly will be enough to cover up the ammonia smell.

I learned that I need to work with taller logs if I am going to do full bodies.
This one is only 19" tall. I have to keep the logs size small because I work on my balcony.

Thanks again.

4WDtiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-13 7:35 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-05-12 19:54, geedavee wrote:
Also this wood smells like ammonia. I am hoping it isn't some cats urine.

Dave, if it's fan palm, some pieces do reek like that.

View Profile of 4WDtiki Send a personal message to 4WDtiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
geedavee
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-05 9:15 pm   Permalink

Well I finished another one. This makes number 12.
I am slowly getting better and making fewer mistakes.

Space limitations only allow me to work on small logs for now.

I am currently adding 3 coats of shellac, then 3 coats of varnish.
Is that sufficient for coating a tiki?

geedavee
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-06 09:46 am   Permalink

I seem to be having some issues with my shellac or poly in that after a few weeks, it is beginning to peel. See the yellow parts that look like bad dental hygiene?

I know I am doing something wrong.
I figure it is either improper sanding between coats, or I am putting it on too thick.

Any experts out there want to tell me where I am going wrong and what can I do to fix the damage?

Any advice would be helpful.
Thanks.

4WDtiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-06 12:48 pm   Permalink

I've never used shellac, but is it drying fully between coats? Is the wood fully dried before sealing?

View Profile of 4WDtiki Send a personal message to 4WDtiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Polynesiac
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2009-06-06 6:12 pm   Permalink

What kind of shellac are you using?

View Profile of Polynesiac Send a personal message to Polynesiac  Email Polynesiac Goto the website of Polynesiac     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
geedavee
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-08 11:18 am   Permalink

The shellac I am using is called Zinsser Bulls Eye Clear Shellac.

I then follow up with 3 coats of either Marine Spar or Polyurethane.

I did seal the bottom of the tiki so any remaining water wouldn't have a place to drain.
Should I leave the bottom untreated?

These are indoor tikis so I started tacking neoprene to the bottom of them.

Polynesiac
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2009-06-08 7:33 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-06-08 11:18, geedavee wrote:
The shellac I am using is called Zinsser Bulls Eye Clear Shellac.

I then follow up with 3 coats of either Marine Spar or Polyurethane.

I did seal the bottom of the tiki so any remaining water wouldn't have a place to drain.
Should I leave the bottom untreated?

These are indoor tikis so I started tacking neoprene to the bottom of them.

Here's my guesses - In your last picture you posted, the buildup does look pretty thick around the teeth. It may be that you are applying too much at once. It's always better to go light and do more coats. 3 coats are plenty, especially for indoor tikis when one coat or no coat is fine too. Indoor tikis don't generally have to be protected from the weather. I have carved tikis that I've never put polyurathane on and they look exactly the same as they did when I finished carving and staining them years ago.
Also, is there a reason why are you using so many different types of sealant on the same tiki? They may not be bonding correctly - even with light sanding between coats. I suggest sticking (HA!) to one type of sealant. They all work fine on their own.

YES still seal the bottom of your tiki, and put several coats on that. Not only does it help in drying, but it also helps keep critters out (termites and whatnot). Neoprene is fine to attach to the bottom of your tiki (I'm sure it makes it easier to slide around your house). I may suggest just checking under there every so often (until the tiki totally dries) for mold. It does happen occasionally.

Hopefully that helped. Let us know if you have any other questions! Have fun carving!

PS - I like that big mouth guy!!!! It looks like he has a lot to say (or eat!!!)

----EDIT----
as far as fixing it....you're probably going to have to sand it off. You may have to re-stain it as well, as the sanding will probably remove some of it.

Polynesiac - putting the "F" back in "ART"

[ This Message was edited by: Polynesiac 2009-06-08 19:36 ]

View Profile of Polynesiac Send a personal message to Polynesiac  Email Polynesiac Goto the website of Polynesiac     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation