FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving Geedavee is posting carvings.
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
Geedavee is posting carvings.
geedavee
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-09 11:19 am   Permalink

I think I may be putting the shellac on a little too thick.
I will sand it off and fix those two tikis.

I was under the impression that the shellac is a sealer and the polyurethane or the spar will protect it from scratches.

So if I only apply a few layers of shellac or only a few layers of Polyurethane or Spar, the tiki will be okay for indoor use?

I put three coats of shellac on the big mouth guy so I guess he is done except for the bottom.

So for outdoor tikis, what would I use?

Thanks for all of the info

View Profile of geedavee Send a personal message to geedavee  Goto the website of geedavee     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
4WDtiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-09 12:05 pm   Permalink

Three layers of either will be fine for outdoor use. For indoor use, no coating is needed, unless you want the gloss look.

View Profile of 4WDtiki Send a personal message to 4WDtiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
geedavee
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-09 12:58 pm   Permalink

I guess I have been really overcoating these things.

Thanks for your help once again.

I hope to make it to a chop as soon as there is one on a Saturday.

Thanks again

View Profile of geedavee Send a personal message to geedavee  Goto the website of geedavee     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Aaron's Akua
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-09 1:22 pm   Permalink

GD,

I used to brush on spar varnish, let it dry, and sand in between coats - pretty labor intensive process. Later (on Benzart's advice) I started using spray shellac first, then spray varnish second. I know those two work well together, and using spray instead of brush cuts way down on time. You can do the whole thing in one day with the coats totally dry in between applications, and no sanding. You'd have to try really hard to get drips with this approach.

Your tikis are looking good!

Aaron

"Ah, good taste! What a dreadful thing! Taste is the enemy of creativeness."
-Pablo Picasso

View Profile of Aaron's Akua Send a personal message to Aaron's Akua      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
geedavee
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-09 2:23 pm   Permalink

I just picked up about 8 cans of spray varnish at a yard sale.

I will try that on the next one I do.

Thanks for the advice.

geedavee
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-08 8:49 pm   Permalink

Just to let you know that I am still hacking away out here.
Here is an update on my latest projects.

I started with this serving-type hutch I got for free on Craigslist.

I converted into the home bar I am now using in my pad.

I managed to do this with only about $30 in costs, and a lot of supplies I had around my apt.

I then bought a display cabinet at a yard sale and did a little work on it so now I have a place to display my good mugs. My pad is leaning towards Mid-century swank since I can't paint the walls any color but white.

And I also managed to carve out a quick tiki.

This was a buggy log. I find that I need to keep in practice on my carving, especially since I am using more power tools. This is my 13th tiki and I really need to get to the chops to get better. Plus I am a lazy sander.

geedavee
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-02-02 2:35 pm   Permalink

I finally completed the Tiki was working on at the SFV chop.

Not sure what to do with the back side of the Tiki although this is my last short fat log so maybe I will have room for a headdress on the next one.

4WDtiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-02-02 4:50 pm   Permalink

Nice, Dave! Good use of a short piece.
I remember when you were a beginner carver.

View Profile of 4WDtiki Send a personal message to 4WDtiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
BIG tiki scott
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-02-03 6:35 pm   Permalink

NIIIIICCCCEEEE SHORTY!!!! lovin this guy!!!! nice finsh too luv the two tone!!! cheerz!!

View Profile of BIG tiki scott Send a personal message to BIG tiki scott  Email BIG tiki scott Goto the website of BIG tiki scott     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Big Tiki D
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-02-05 4:32 pm   Permalink

Was just taking a look at what you've been doing (very nice, BTW), and I just happened to see that you have a nice B+D Workamate. I have one and I think it's been the single greatest tool in my carving arsenal! It's great to have a carving bench that you can just pick up and take with you whenever you want.

View Profile of Big Tiki D Send a personal message to Big Tiki D      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
geedavee
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-01 4:51 pm   Permalink

Here is a Moai I finished today.

These are tougher than I thought. All shape and symmetry.

geedavee
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-25 09:40 am   Permalink

Here is the latest completed tiki. This is the one I was working on at CheekyGirls chop.
The design is based on a plastic toy I found.

I hope to turn this one into a lamp and adding a fez lampshade.

Anyone know how to drill straight through a tiki from head to foot?

[ This Message was edited by: geedavee 2010-03-25 10:20 ]

[ This Message was edited by: geedavee 2010-03-25 10:21 ]

TikiG
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-25 10:22 am   Permalink

Nice Dave - good to see this tiki somewhat finished...can't tell you how to drill for the lampshade though, sorry!

View Profile of TikiG Send a personal message to TikiG  Email TikiG     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikilizard
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-25 11:26 am   Permalink

A reeaalllly long drill bit. From head down 1/2 way and then from the feet up 1/2 way. They sell really long drill bits at most hardware stores. If they don't carry a drill bit long enough you could use an extension. This bit is 7 1/2" long and the extension is another 12" long. Looks really cool tiki. Martini shaken not stirred.

Facebook
If you have nothing nice to say, don't say anything

[ This Message was edited by: Tikilizard 2010-03-25 11:45 ]

View Profile of Tikilizard Send a personal message to Tikilizard  Email Tikilizard Goto the website of Tikilizard     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikigodz
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-25 7:28 pm   Permalink

love that tiki man
Looks like Hef.

View Profile of tikigodz Send a personal message to tikigodz  Email tikigodz     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation