FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Creating Tiki » » Tiki Carving » » Grand Poobah's Oasis Update
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 )
Grand Poobah's Oasis Update
hiltiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-07-17 08:14 am   Permalink

Very nice carve.

View Profile of hiltiki Send a personal message to hiltiki  Goto the website of hiltiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Will carve
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-07-17 3:25 pm   Permalink

Nice carve.
Paint & finish really show it off.

View Profile of Will carve Send a personal message to Will carve      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
cy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-07-17 3:26 pm   Permalink

Sweet carve Poohbah.

View Profile of cy Send a personal message to cy  Goto the website of cy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Grand Poobah
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-09-07 8:02 pm   Permalink

It has been a busy summer. I have spent a lot of it adding a beach to my yard.

I started by building a third waterfall.

I liked how different the Pirate Tiki had been. I wanted to continue and make something a little different. I am a big James Bond fan and I got an idea after watching live and let die. I wanted a tiki to place at the base of the waterfall so I designed a Voodoo themed tiki. I liked how other artists have used colors such as greens and blues in their designs. I figured I should take a risk. I found out that Lowe's offers a Cabot stain in blue. I designed this guy with a snake that is wrapped around his waist. I gave him scales and tried out the blue stain. He slightly yellowed after I added a spar urethane to him.

I added a few black scales

I also gave this one a voodoo themed hat.

and a voodoo doll

here he is

I also was intrigued by a Brad Parker skeleton tiki sketch. I wanted to somehow incorporate a similar idea. I decided rather than just make a skeleton like tiki I would include it on the back.

I also wanted to make a better surfboard than one I had previously made. I am finding that they are much easier to sand!!!!!

[ This Message was edited by: Grand Poobah 2014-09-07 20:05 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Grand Poobah 2014-09-07 20:12 ]

View Profile of Grand Poobah Send a personal message to Grand Poobah      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
cy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-09-08 08:02 am   Permalink

Great ideas and execution Poobs! The hands are outstanding.

View Profile of cy Send a personal message to cy  Goto the website of cy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Grand Poobah
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-10-18 04:39 am   Permalink

Several years ago I had made these matching tikis for my backyard. The weather really had beaten them up. The heads really began to rot. I couldn’t bring them inside, I didn’t want to give up on them, and I just couldn’t urethane over the problem.

I have had to go back and insert a wedge in a tiki whose check had grown too wide for my liking. I thought I might be able to do the same. Due to too much rot, I decided that I would have to actually decapitate them! The first guy actually lost his entire head. I also decided that while I was at I would change the color scheme as well.

The next guy was not so bad. I would only have to scalp him. I also decided to change things up and had a lot more fun with him. I wanted to carry the theme a little further by creating a bone like lighting fixture. I wanted the hand to hold a candle, but I didn’t want the candle to be real. I was hoping to find a solar candle that looked as if it had dripping wax. No luck. I tried online, and was especially hopeful with Halloween around the corner. I decided to make my own using PVC and hot glue. I them inserted a battery operated tea light inside and it passes for what I was looking for. Then I made sure to really coat these guys good. (15 coats of spar urethane!)

Finally I have been recoating all of my tiki(s) with more coats of spar as I don’t want this to happen to them.

View Profile of Grand Poobah Send a personal message to Grand Poobah      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
cy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-10-18 5:47 pm   Permalink

Outstanding work as always Poobah, thanks for keeping us abreast of your latest!

For the Love of Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-10-21 04:18 am   Permalink

Really nice save on the two tikis.

View Profile of For the Love of Tiki Send a personal message to For the Love of Tiki  Email For the Love of Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hiltiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-10-21 10:45 am   Permalink

Nice carvings, I really love the hand you carved, looks great.

View Profile of hiltiki Send a personal message to hiltiki  Goto the website of hiltiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Grand Poobah
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-10-22 05:04 am   Permalink

Thanks everyone, I have been away from carving for a bit. It is feeling good to be back in it.

8FT Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-10-23 8:46 pm   Permalink

Nice work on saving and replacing the rotted parts. I really like those tikis (size and design). I have found that multiple coats of urethane aren't enough to protect long term when carvings are exposed to exterior conditions. What I have done is to use a tube of clear silicone caulk and just slather the top of the carving. It really helps deter water penetration. Thanks for sharing your work.

View Profile of 8FT Tiki Send a personal message to 8FT Tiki  Email 8FT Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Grand Poobah
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 29 days ago; 06:42 am   Permalink

It has been awhile. But here a few I have completed. This one was mad for my dad. He was a high school baseball coach for years and baseball has always been a part of his life. I had made him one with a martini glass, but he let it fall over and it became open season on it.

I have been dealing with rot more and more lately. This summer has been terrible with the rain. Many of the old tikis I have had to bring back in to repair. Another was so badly rotted on the inside that I had to cut off the head and will have to replace it as I did earlier with two others. I am at a loss as keep upping the layers of spar. I am now caulking every check and recently came across a clear and paintable flex seal. Here is another guy. He too has been taken a beating.

I apologize if these come out sideways as they were right side up on my computer by loaded sideways. I hope everyone is well.

cy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 29 days ago; 08:13 am   Permalink

Great to see you are still carving Poobah, thanks for posting, outstanding as always.

TheBigT
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 12 days ago; 09:35 am   Permalink

You got some wicked skillz man, nice stuff!

View Profile of TheBigT Send a personal message to TheBigT  Goto the website of TheBigT     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hang10tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: Yesterday; 11:47 am   Permalink

Awesome
Welcome back

This only happens on the up and down pics
( Open up the pictures on your computer,
rotate them upside down, save it,
rotate them right side up, save it,
then you can post them and they will be in the proper position. )

Or
Only take sideways pics

[ This Message was edited by: hang10tiki 2018-09-18 11:48 ]

View Profile of hang10tiki Send a personal message to hang10tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2018 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation