FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts swampfire lounge sign project - COMPLETED !!!! last page...
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
swampfire lounge sign project - COMPLETED !!!! last page...
Tipsy McStagger
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-01 1:11 pm   Permalink

greetings and happy new year!!!

thought i'd start out the new year by sharing a project i have been working on and off of over the past few months.....Back in may doug horne of swampfire lounge approached me about making him one of my sign replicas based on his logo for his artwork and website.....the plan was to have it done in time for last years 2008 tiki oasis to be unveiled in his booth.....unfortunately, a few set backs occured and rather than rush it through and half-ass it, i informed doug that regrettably, it would not be ready in time.....since then i have been chipping away at it when i can and this past holiday season i was able to rally and start the big push to completion.....

it's about 75% there.......i decided with doug's blessing to post progress pics here ......this will help me stay focused toward it's completion.

here's a few random early stage shots, followed by the latest pic i took this a.m. of the sign with light boxes fired up and ready.....

Here's the only piece of info i had to work from....i based the sign on doug's dimensions and had to wing the rest....

here's some not too interesting shots of the light boxes taking shape....

..and here's the tiki head that will ultimately crown the sign.....this is in the rough early stages (not yet painted either)....since then i have revised it a bit for the sake of assembly. I hand carved this out of dense foam.....it was my first real carving attempt...i thought it came out quite nice....and light-weight too!!

..and this is where we are at right now......

..Doug wanted me to use actual driftwood, but it posed problems with the lettering getting cut...so i had to fake a driftwood look. Also, the camera makes the letters look washed out, but they are actually a nice even green light flowing throughout....

...Had i lived out west near doug i probably would have had it done in time....but i had to carefully design this so it could be disassembled for shipping and easy set-up....i assume doug was going to drag this thing from trade show to tiki event so it had to be light and it had to break down for travel.....as it is, the 2 light boxes are removable.....the tiki head will also be removable....right now it just locates into the top of the pole and is held in by 2 screws......

..stay tuned....i should have the tiki head finished and painted this weekend.....next week i make the flames and tiki torches....

..also- big thanks to BUZZY for suppling the bamboo pole and to Perry for being there for me when i needed the letters cut!!

[ This Message was edited by: Tipsy McStagger 2009-01-01 13:19 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Tipsy McStagger 2009-03-31 05:04 ]

View Profile of Tipsy McStagger Send a personal message to Tipsy McStagger  Email Tipsy McStagger     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Sperm Whale
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-01 1:19 pm   Permalink

That looks super sweet!! Good Yob Tipsy!!

View Profile of The Sperm Whale Send a personal message to The Sperm Whale  Email The Sperm Whale     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kirby
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-01 2:34 pm   Permalink

im realy diggin this.... I cant wait to see it finished..

View Profile of kirby Send a personal message to kirby  Email kirby Goto the website of kirby     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
congatiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-01 3:07 pm   Permalink

That is very cool Tipsy, a most impressive project. I sure Doug
will be happy, anyone would be happy!

View Profile of congatiki Send a personal message to congatiki  Email congatiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Big Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-01 3:23 pm   Permalink

WOW! You are one creative windbag! I'm kidding, you're really not that creative! Kidding! I think this is your best yet & the other ones really blew me away! I hope to someday have one of your signs grace my lounge!
Mahalo,
Rick

View Profile of Big Kahuna Send a personal message to Big Kahuna  Email Big Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tipsy McStagger
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-01 5:10 pm   Permalink

thanks all!!

View Profile of Tipsy McStagger Send a personal message to Tipsy McStagger  Email Tipsy McStagger     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2009-01-01 8:09 pm   Permalink

Looks sharp Tip!!! Will you coat the foam head with anything to make it a little more durable? I think Bowana did a foam Moai (before the Woofmutt imposed moratorium) and coated it with Bondo

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TabooDan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-02 07:22 am   Permalink

Tipsy, Very cool!!
Thanks afor deciding to post the progress pictures as it brings it into perspective a little more and shows the detail you put in. Awesome first time carving with the Tiki!
Looking forward to checking it all out!

Great job!!
TabooDan

View Profile of TabooDan Send a personal message to TabooDan  Goto the website of TabooDan     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Monkeyman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-02 08:20 am   Permalink

you've got some serious skills.

View Profile of Monkeyman Send a personal message to Monkeyman  Email Monkeyman     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Babalu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-02 08:23 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-01-02 08:20, Monkeyman wrote:
you've got some serious skills.

Agreed! Just plain Killer Suff here!

View Profile of Babalu Send a personal message to Babalu  Email Babalu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tipsy McStagger
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-02 10:02 am   Permalink

thanks everyone!!

-maddogmike- bondo would be messy and time consuming for this....after i prime the foam, i hit it with a heavy coat of texture paint. This forms a protective shell over the already dense foam..from there the added paint and clear coat will only add more protection to it....it will be quite durable but Doug will still have to be careful with it if he plans on traveling alot with this sign...

Buzzy originally carved a similiar tiki head (i think there are pics of it on one of his carving threads here) out of palm for this project but the end result was too heavy to be used for this ...so i had to go with a lite weight material that i could easily carve myself....

[ This Message was edited by: Tipsy McStagger 2009-01-02 10:04 ]

jpmartdog
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-02 10:14 am   Permalink

awesome job Tipsy!

Really a magnificent sign. I think the carved tiki is perfect. How were the letters actually cut out.. and cut out of what material. Is the cutout then glued to acyrlic sheeting?

Can't wait to see the progress! very impressive!

View Profile of jpmartdog Send a personal message to jpmartdog  Email jpmartdog Goto the website of jpmartdog     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tipsy McStagger
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-02 12:19 pm   Permalink

thanks!!

the tricky part to this is that i have to make the tiki torches and flames a separate component. i can't ship this with them permanently connected to the pole so a sub assembly will be required...i have a way to do this, it's just a matter of figuring out the specifics....it's the only way to ship this to doug and then for him to travel with it without suffering any damage in the process....

..in retrospect , I would have gone with using pvc pipe to create the bamboo pole look....but initially doug wanted to stick with natural materials whenever possible so i used the natural 4" dia. bamboo from buzzy....however some time ago the bamboo split down the back on it's own so i rotated the split part to the backside...it can only be seen if you take a peek behind the sign and it actually made it easier for me to do the wiring.

pappythesailor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-02 1:04 pm   Permalink

Brilliant work. I really love it so far.

View Profile of pappythesailor Send a personal message to pappythesailor  Goto the website of pappythesailor     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
NOTCH
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-02 5:02 pm   Permalink

That sign looks Killer!!

Nice job

View Profile of NOTCH Send a personal message to NOTCH  Email NOTCH     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation