FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts swampfire lounge sign project - COMPLETED !!!! last page...
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
swampfire lounge sign project - COMPLETED !!!! last page...
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-02 5:39 pm   Permalink

Looks great! Makes me wanna do my own sign for my lounge room. Where do you get the lighting hardware from? Any problems with heat build up?

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swamp Fire
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-02 8:14 pm   Permalink

Now that I have seen the sign in progress I think I would like to change direction with it.
I'm thinking a Wall Mart meets Wallgreens feel (see picture below for referance).
I think this new direction with the design will give it a more generic, milktoast look, something that will offend no one.

Every artists nightmare right?

I'm just now seeing some of these progress pics for the first time and all I can say is WOW!
I'm so excited to have Dave doing this piece for me.
I wanted this for home use but you are going the extra mile and making it portable as well.
Looking forward to seeing the finished sign.

[ This Message was edited by: Swamp Fire 2009-01-02 20:17 ]

View Profile of Swamp Fire Send a personal message to Swamp Fire  Email Swamp Fire Goto the website of Swamp Fire     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Clarita
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-03 08:45 am   Permalink

Oh wow! You are such a pro!! no only the interpretation is more than perfect, the construction of it, it's so neat and intelligent!! i'm totally jealous can wait to see it finished!

View Profile of Clarita Send a personal message to Clarita  Goto the website of Clarita     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hiltiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-03 09:47 am   Permalink

Tipsy, your work is just perfect.

View Profile of hiltiki Send a personal message to hiltiki  Goto the website of hiltiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tipsy McStagger
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-22 9:04 pm   Permalink

thanks for all the kind words!!

..finally got some more work done on the sign......i managed to make the flames and start figuring out how the flames, spears and torches are going to be mounted to the sign.....

this picture shows the platform which is attached to the bottom of the head with screws...the acrylic flames slide into location and can be removed for shipping or for travel...behind them will be one flicker flame bulb each.....after i mount the blocks to hold the torches and the spears i'll cut away any excess material from the platform so that it's not so square and large...

the flames have been sand blasted on the backside so that you will not be able to see the bulb through the flame from the front but you will still see the flicker flame action as it lights up the whole flame shape...the added bonus is that it will also throw some light up onto the tikis face.

i hope to have this mocked up so i can plug in the flame lights and sign to see how it all looks this weekend.....i'll post pics of it here when i can...also need to bring out some of the details of the head with some darker paint, so look for that to change in the next couple of posts from me...

[ This Message was edited by: Tipsy McStagger 2009-01-22 21:10 ]

View Profile of Tipsy McStagger Send a personal message to Tipsy McStagger  Email Tipsy McStagger     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Diablo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-23 12:43 am   Permalink

Gotta love the functional art.

View Profile of Tiki Diablo Send a personal message to Tiki Diablo  Email Tiki Diablo Goto the website of Tiki Diablo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tipsy McStagger
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-02-01 10:51 pm   Permalink

thanks for all your kind words!

..okay, here's the latest!!.......got the flames done and lit up as well as the platform that supports them and the spears and tiki torches.....this week i'm gonna fabricate and install the flicker flame torches that belong on either side of the tikis head. The spears will be last and those simply get built, cut to size than slip right into the holes provided on the platform......those will remain removable but the torches will remain fixed in place which is why the platform and head are removable, to make it easier to transport and ship......i still need to add some darker details to the tiki head but i'm waiting to do that last so i can see how all the colors play off each other when it's complete.

here's a detail of the finished platform....shows the socket/bulb locations and the base where the torch and spears will be located......

here's what it looks like in the dark with no other light source...

spooky, huh??

the sign project is about 95% done......I hope to have it wrapped up in the next couple weeks and then ready for the task of having to pack this thing up and ship it out to doug a.s.a.p.........

stay tuned!!

[ This Message was edited by: Tipsy McStagger 2009-02-01 22:54 ]

View Profile of Tipsy McStagger Send a personal message to Tipsy McStagger  Email Tipsy McStagger     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sneakytiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-02-02 03:22 am   Permalink

Really slick, pro look! Very nice.

View Profile of Sneakytiki Send a personal message to Sneakytiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tipsy McStagger
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-02-02 04:52 am   Permalink

[ This Message was edited by: tipsy mcstagger 2009-02-02 08:45 ]

Tipsy McStagger
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-02-02 04:53 am   Permalink

[ This Message was edited by: Tipsy McStagger 2009-02-02 08:45 ]

Tipsy McStagger
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-02-02 04:55 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-02-02 03:22, Sneakytiki wrote:
Really slick, pro look! Very nice.

Thanks....i'm actually gonna add some elements to make it a little more rustic looking which is what doug originally wanted. For example, the spears will have some jute wrapping where the spear heads meet the shaft.....also, on either side of the lounge sign, where the curved bone-like shapes intersect i would like to wrap in some twine to give the illusion that they are held together that way.....

Tipsy McStagger
Tiki Socialite

[ This Message was edited by: Tipsy McStagger 2009-02-02 08:46 ]

Tipsy McStagger
Tiki Socialite

[ This Message was edited by: Tipsy McStagger 2009-02-02 08:46 ]

teaKEY
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-02-02 06:44 am   Permalink

Head On, apply directly to the head. Head On, apply directly to the head.

Nice stuff there. The sign has always been a favorite of mine. When Doug came out with his first three TikiFarm mugs (first of many), they were OK, but I always liked the look of this tiki the best. Still, I don't think it was made into a mug. But now a cool or hot sign, that will work.

View Profile of teaKEY Send a personal message to teaKEY  Email teaKEY Goto the website of teaKEY     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Lake Surfer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-02-02 2:53 pm   Permalink

Kick ass work, Dave.

Its progressing great and is super clean looking.

I hope to get a look at it firsthand at a few of the California events if Doug has it with him.

Do you work off preliminary sketches or just run with it?

That was my biggest problem with the "temples" was taking something from paper to a three dimensional material.

Keep up the good work!

View Profile of Lake Surfer Send a personal message to Lake Surfer      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation