FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts swampfire lounge sign project - COMPLETED !!!! last page...
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
swampfire lounge sign project - COMPLETED !!!! last page...
Tipsy McStagger
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-02-02 5:07 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-02-02 14:53, Lake Surfer wrote:
Kick ass work, Dave.

Its progressing great and is super clean looking.

I hope to get a look at it firsthand at a few of the California events if Doug has it with him.

Do you work off preliminary sketches or just run with it?

That was my biggest problem with the "temples" was taking something from paper to a three dimensional material.

Keep up the good work!

Thanks!

..when working from my own designs i just use thumbnail sketches to hash out the idea in 3-d.....then i just run with it......in doug's case, all i had to go on was the drawing i posted at the beginning of the thread....he gave me dimensions loosely based on how tall the finished sign should be, then i loosely scaled the rest of it, using the drawing as a guide to let me know where the various elements should line up in relation to each other. There's an old saying in the model making/design biz....."if it looks right, it is right".....

as for your temples, seems like the way to approach it would be to figure out the size you want the most prominent feature to be (in this case, the A-frame entry) then scale everything else accordingly...if you are working from old postcards, note where design elements line up in relation to each other. This will help you out greatly when trying to scale everything to size.

View Profile of Tipsy McStagger Send a personal message to Tipsy McStagger  Email Tipsy McStagger     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sam Gambino
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-02-02 11:59 pm   Permalink

Beautiful work Dave! This thing is looking killer. It'll make a great piece to have as a focal point in the room. Doug has a great design there too.

www.samgambino.com

View Profile of Sam Gambino Send a personal message to Sam Gambino  Email Sam Gambino Goto the website of Sam Gambino     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Big Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-02-03 05:30 am   Permalink

I sure hope Doug is kind enough to post some pics of it in its new home.

View Profile of Big Kahuna Send a personal message to Big Kahuna  Email Big Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tipsy McStagger
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-02-05 7:22 pm   Permalink

the tiki torches are finished!!!!!...it's almost over.....just gotta fabricate the spears and then button this baby up......a few details and it will be ready to ship out!!

View Profile of Tipsy McStagger Send a personal message to Tipsy McStagger  Email Tipsy McStagger     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiyaki
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2009-02-05 8:52 pm   Permalink

Tipsy. Nice work !

View Profile of tikiyaki Send a personal message to tikiyaki  Email tikiyaki Goto the website of tikiyaki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Clarita
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-02-09 11:11 am   Permalink

Perfect!! It looks spectacular on the dark too!

View Profile of Clarita Send a personal message to Clarita  Goto the website of Clarita     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tipsy McStagger
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-02-14 08:50 am   Permalink

well...it's all over but the cryin'!!!!

Finally, after a year of on the job/off the job the swampfire sign is done!!!! Thanks to all of you for your kind words and for occasionally poking your head in this thread to share the journey with me.....I'm sure doug will be happy and he can finally take back some of the bad things he said about me -the rest i've earned, so i don't mind.....

anyway, my camera has been giving me grief but i was able to get at least one shot of it......I will get some more pics posted as soon as i address the camera issue...till then, this will have to do......

and then comes the task of disassembling and packing the sign up for it's journey westward.......and providing doug with an assembly guide so he can get it back together at the end of the line.....

[ This Message was edited by: tipsy mcstagger 2009-03-31 05:02 ]

Tipsy McStagger
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-31 08:39 am   Permalink

..oops!!!...bump!

kirby
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-31 10:04 am   Permalink

awsome man.. realy great work...

View Profile of kirby Send a personal message to kirby  Email kirby Goto the website of kirby     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swamp Fire
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-31 4:58 pm   Permalink

Wow! Looks fantastic Dave.

Can't wait to see it in person.

View Profile of Swamp Fire Send a personal message to Swamp Fire  Email Swamp Fire Goto the website of Swamp Fire     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Polynesiac
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2009-03-31 5:47 pm   Permalink

I'm glad you "oops" and bumped this - this sign ROCKS!!!! I love the light boxes - you did you a really nice job with them and kept the 3d design true to dougs painting.

Nice one!!!!

Polynesiac - putting the "F" back in "ART"

[ This Message was edited by: Polynesiac 2009-03-31 17:50 ]

View Profile of Polynesiac Send a personal message to Polynesiac  Email Polynesiac Goto the website of Polynesiac     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
KreepyTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-04-01 09:15 am   Permalink

Frickin' flat-out AMAZING, Dave!

That is SUCH koolamundo work! Doug is a perceptive fellow to have chosen just the right artist for the job!

And whatever he paid -- it was worth every penny! (Now I can start dreaming about being able to afford commissioning Doug to design a sign for MY lounge and YOU to build it for me!)

Cheers and Congrats!

[ This Message was edited by: KreepyTiki 2009-04-01 09:16 ]

[ This Message was edited by: KreepyTiki 2009-04-01 09:21 ]

View Profile of KreepyTiki Send a personal message to KreepyTiki  Email KreepyTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sam Gambino
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-04-01 9:43 pm   Permalink

Simply a butt-kicking job, Dave! That's a fine piece of custom craftsmanship....

www.samgambino.com

View Profile of Sam Gambino Send a personal message to Sam Gambino  Email Sam Gambino Goto the website of Sam Gambino     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
NOTCH
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-04-01 10:23 pm   Permalink

F***in Sweet bro , likes it

View Profile of NOTCH Send a personal message to NOTCH  Email NOTCH     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-04-02 12:35 am   Permalink

Sweeeet, very nice!

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation