Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki Tile mosaic story
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page ) Remove Highlighting
Tile mosaic story
Trader Woody
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-03-27 1:32 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2003-03-27 13:13, bigbrotiki wrote:
Right now everyone is a little on the edge, being broke AND at war is simply stressful.

Well, nothing could be more calming during these times than making a Tiki mosaic....more relaxing than yoga......

By the way, while these kits are obviously not available any more, is it easy to get hold of the little tiles? Surely, it can't be too difficult to sketch out a Moai, then fill in the gaps with tiles until you've got yourself something special for your wall?

Trader Woody

View Profile of Trader Woody Send a personal message to Trader Woody  Email Trader Woody     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PolynesianPop
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-03-27 1:42 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2003-03-27 13:32, Trader Woody wrote:
By the way, while these kits are obviously not available any more, is it easy to get hold of the little tiles?

TW, I've seen my local Home Depot hardware store sell small bags of ceramic tile bits but for the price they were asking, the cost of all the different colors could quickly add up.

I've been told that you can go to a tile manufacturer directly and ask them however, I've yet to try this.

My wahine has done some tile mosaic work in the past on an old table. How did she get the tile? She picked up some really cheap plates & stuff at a thrift store, took them home, wrapped them in an old towel and smashed them to bits with a hammer.

The table came out great!

Poly-Pop *

Bartender, make mine a glass of WATAHHH!!!!!

View Profile of PolynesianPop Send a personal message to PolynesianPop  Email PolynesianPop Goto the website of PolynesianPop     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader Woody
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-03-27 2:26 pm   Permalink

Thanks Poly-Pop,

I think going at 'em with a hammer looks the cheapest (and by far the most fun) bet. Now I've just got to do out and find lots of flat plates in various shades of brown...

Trader Woody

View Profile of Trader Woody Send a personal message to Trader Woody  Email Trader Woody     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
purple jade
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-03-27 3:11 pm   Permalink

You can also go to a tile dealer and ask if they have any remainders of discontinued lines. They'll usually sell them cheap, and you can break 'em up into smaller pieces. Broken up four inch standard bathroom tiles cover a good bit of area, with grout and all.

View Profile of purple jade Send a personal message to purple jade  Email purple jade Goto the website of purple jade     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
cynfulcynner
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-03-27 3:22 pm   Permalink

A Bygone Era in Oakland and Urban Ore in Berkeley (two architectural salvage yards) usually have tons of tile.

--cyn

View Profile of cynfulcynner Send a personal message to cynfulcynner      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
DawnTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-03-27 3:34 pm   Permalink

I have gotten boxes of broken, chipped, off colored tiles from Tile Dealers dirt cheap. One guy gave me a box for free!

View Profile of DawnTiki Send a personal message to DawnTiki  Email DawnTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
laney
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-03-27 3:36 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2003-03-27 11:17, waikiki tiki wrote:
You guys are so defensive. Tikisobayli was simply offering the idea that Al try and make it since he couldn't purchase it. He was just quoting Al by saying "grubby little fingers" and doing so jokingly! I am very aware that Al makes all sorts of nice things and thought this mosaic would be no problem. Sorry for the misunderstanding. And Laney, just exactly what is a "real job"? Does that mean that some people here have fake ones? Anyway, the mosaic is really cool and Al, you do some really nice work!

waikiki

Yes, I'd say I have a "fake" job. I work nights and while it is wearing to my body (wah, wah) it does leave me my days free. I have time to take on a lot of projects, but I'm still getting my house painted and unpacked (this could take years!) I have also finished two art projects, several jewelry pieces, some lamp refurbishing, etc. I also think we were defensive of Al especially. You probably wouldn't have seen that reaction if it was someone else but Al is extremely creative and not only makes lamps, barkcloth upulstry, etc. He even tells us how he did it and will jump at the chance to help anyone who needs advice tackling a project.

On another note. I made a table with broken bathroom tiles, plates and other ceramics, and I think the tiles in the tiki mosaic piece are a different kind. I don't have one but someone who does can maybe post a very close-up photo. I think they are glass mosaics and not ceramic (like bathroom tiles) I know there used to be a stained glass Co. that produced glass mosaics but again, they are expensive. I'll keep looking and post info if I find it.

View Profile of laney Send a personal message to laney  Email laney     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Cultjam
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-03-27 3:53 pm   Permalink

eBay got gobs o glass tiles

View Profile of Cultjam Send a personal message to Cultjam      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chongolio
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-03-27 8:00 pm   Permalink

Here is shot of a stained glass I had a friend make for me using the same design from those kits. I got my reference pic off a Pollo Del Mar cd.
Chongolio

[ This Message was edited by: Chongolio on 2003-03-27 20:04 ]

View Profile of Chongolio Send a personal message to Chongolio  Email Chongolio Goto the website of Chongolio     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chongolio
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-03-27 8:04 pm   Permalink

whoops, double post
Chongolio

[ This Message was edited by: Chongolio on 2003-03-28 04:04 ]

View Profile of Chongolio Send a personal message to Chongolio  Email Chongolio Goto the website of Chongolio     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Alnshely
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-03-27 10:53 pm   Permalink

Aloha,
Tikis Obayli, That's a good Idea, I've only seen one of these and I photographed it so I could grid it up and copy the patern. If I do it, I'll post Pics.

Waikiki Tiki, thank you for the kind words.

PolyPop and Laney, Standing up for me? you guys are sweet.

Chongolio, Great Idea, what an Inspiration.

Sven, sadly, this is all he has left of the kit. He was suprised that anyone would want such a thing. I'll Email him and see if he knows were it came from.

Mahalo,
Al

View Profile of Alnshely Send a personal message to Alnshely  Email Alnshely     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
waikiki tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-03-28 10:58 am   Permalink

Quote:

I also think we were defensive of Al especially. You probably wouldn't have seen that reaction if it was someone else but Al is extremely creative and not only makes lamps, barkcloth upulstry, etc. He even tells us how he did it and will jump at the chance to help anyone who needs advice tackling a project.

Laney,
I'm not sure you read my posts very well, because in both of the posts I mentioned how I knew Al did lots of creative stuff that was great. I guess you missed that part though. Sorry I offended you so much.

Chongolio,
I love that stained glass! I do stained glass as well and am going to try and tackle a similar project, I've just been putting it off until summer. The one you have looks great though!

Trader Woody,
Good luck with yours! I think the plates are a great idea since you could get lots of good browns and stuff. Might try that myself sometime.

Have a great weekend everyone!
waikiki

View Profile of waikiki tiki Send a personal message to waikiki tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
boutiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-03-28 6:07 pm   Permalink

Have you seen many of this other mosaic before? It's got that funky tribal voodoo mask kinda' quality. It's made from colored linoleum. Since I have two (found at different places at least a year apart) and the first one I found has a couple of pieces missing, (you can see the color numbers underneath) I'm pretty sure it came as a kit like paint-by-numbers or "Mosett" by the inventor of paint-by-numbers. I guess you could take your favorite tiki image and make it into a mosaic, though there is something very cool about the idea these old ones were once deemed worthy of being mass-produced and sold at department stores to home crafters.
mosaic.jpg" BORDER="0">

View Profile of boutiki Send a personal message to boutiki  Goto the website of boutiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
woofmutt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-04-02 01:08 am   Permalink

Everyone wants to buy or make things today, why not try and steal one of these mosaics? Many of you know who has them, where they live, what they like to drink and how much they can drink of it...Do the math.

Or you could make it out of something other than tile. Say smashed up Lifesavers you bake in the oven...Or Jelly Bellies! That would be so cool. But seriously, since it would be a decorative wall piece you could use a heavy card stock for a paper mosaic, sealed under several coats of something shiny. Or use vinyl tile, particularly the color flecked ones used in schools and hospitals, they come in a wide variety of colors and they're vomit proof. Both these materials would be a helluva lot easier to cut than glass/ceramic tile but assembly will be just as tedious...So you wouldn't feel like you were cheating much.

View Profile of woofmutt Send a personal message to woofmutt  Email woofmutt Goto the website of woofmutt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Phillip Roberts
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-10-16 01:38 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2003-03-27 20:00, Chongolio wrote:
I got my reference pic off a Pollo Del Mar cd.

[ This Message was edited by: filslash 2008-09-12 14:54 ]

View Profile of Phillip Roberts Send a personal message to Phillip Roberts  Email Phillip Roberts     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation