[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki Tile mosaic story
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 ) Remove Highlighting
Tile mosaic story
gonzo
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-05-08 3:10 pm   Permalink

Great work! If you don't mind a few more questions.

"Take a jpeg of whichever one you like the best."

-I'm guessing you mean from this forum or wherever you can find one correct?

**Yes. I dont remember which one I used. You dont need a lot of pixels.

"Enlarge it to whatever size you want to make. Then print it at kinkos full size."

-Does the image not become pixelated and distorted bown up that big? Are you making a black and white print the actual size you want the mosaic?

**Yes very pixilated but black and white lines are all you need . I touched mine up a bit with a pen adding whatever I liked best form the pictures on this forum. I think I ended up with 19x75 instead of the orginal 16x75 because the original image I started with was slightly oblique.

"Trace the paper onto the plywood using carbon paper."

-You mean trace the image correct?

**Tape the full size print onto the wood with carbon paper in between. Then press hard with a dull pencil and trace out the lines.

"Think hard about how you start because you must carry it through all the way across."

-Can you expand on this? Do you mean what style used or how you lay the tiles must be carried through out?

This is important if you look at the various pictures you see differences in the way the tile are laid out. We went with the random triangles for the water. It was harder than laying out the tiles herringbone style say. On the Moais we laid out the tiles like bricks. You probably should be consistent with this.

Thanks in advance.

Has anyone actually seen one of the kits? Was the plywood pre-printed with the design layout or was there a copy of the design you had to trace onto your own plywood.

**Not sure. Im guessing it came printed on the plywood. The catalog just gave tips on which color tiles to use. You had to pick the colors you wanted. We used the 3/4 vitreous venetian glass.

View Profile of gonzo Send a personal message to gonzo      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
El Jefe
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2012-05-08 4:58 pm   Permalink

Thanks for the info Gonzo.

View Profile of El Jefe Send a personal message to El Jefe      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
croe67
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-05-08 5:52 pm   Permalink

Mahalo!!

View Profile of croe67 Send a personal message to croe67  Email croe67     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hearn
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2012-08-15 07:38 am   Permalink

[quote]
On 2012-05-05 21:20, gonzo wrote:

Finished!!!!at last . Its a bit larger than the original kit. This one is 19X75 the old kits were 16x75. If you want one have at it. Your results will probably be better than anything you could find. If you could find it at all..

[ This Message was edited by: gonzo 2012-05-05 21:27 ]

Sorry to be late to the party...Your mosaic looks awesome! I too am working on a version of this classic Mosaic...and I was wondering. Grout or no grout?

Whats the consensus? The original PDF Brochure suggested no grout.

Inquiring minds want to know!

Thanks!

View Profile of Hearn Send a personal message to Hearn      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Wildsville man
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-08-21 12:30 pm   Permalink

Whats the consensus? The original PDF Brochure suggested no grout.

Inquiring minds want to know!

Thanks!
[/quote]

I would say no grout. I have an original with no grout and I think it has a nicer reflexive quality without it. PLUS......it's so heavy that adding more weight to it with grout kind of scares me.

Congrats

W

http://www.tiki-caliente.com/

[ This Message was edited by: wildsville man 2012-08-21 13:57 ]

View Profile of Wildsville man Send a personal message to Wildsville man  Email Wildsville man Goto the website of Wildsville man     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hearn
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2012-08-23 05:38 am   Permalink

I would say no grout. I have an original with no grout and I think it has a nicer reflexive quality without it. PLUS......it's so heavy that adding more weight to it with grout kind of scares

Thanks so much for responding....I think i will proceed with no grout. Would you mind posting some more cliseups of your work (its very inspirational)

I guess the idea with the mosaic is to attack the 'objects' first, then fill in the gaps with the water etc.

View Profile of Hearn Send a personal message to Hearn      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
croe67
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-10-17 11:58 am   Permalink

I thought I'd add my find from a while back to this thread, too.

Here it was before - in the condition I found it in - partially completed. It's basically a baby version of the big ones & done with a different style tile as well. I'm not sure if it was part of a kit, or maybe a DIY based off of the large kit version??:

In the interim, I completed the mosaic & then the crappy frame that came with it no longer did it justice. So I had our fabulous local carver amate work on a frame for it. The frame turned out beautiful!!
(You can check out amate's carvings here:
http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=34155&forum=7)

I am very happy with how it turned out vs. the somewhat sad piece I found.

View Profile of croe67 Send a personal message to croe67  Email croe67     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bongo Bungalow
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-10-19 04:33 am   Permalink

Really nice, croe!

View Profile of Bongo Bungalow Send a personal message to Bongo Bungalow  Email Bongo Bungalow Goto the website of Bongo Bungalow     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation