FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving Baby Marquesan tiki sleeping on leaf
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Baby Marquesan tiki sleeping on leaf
Tiki Terrace
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-01-25 2:08 pm   Permalink

Been taking up some new hobbies on my off time from the restaurant... It's been nice having hobbies for myself that have nothing to do with the restaurant. Here are some pics:

Been making hooks now... lot of fun! Nice to work on these smaller pieces that dont take too much time investment... this first one was made for a Chicago radio guy, Roe Conn on his "A-Roe-Ha" broadcast in Maui.

And these were made for family and friends... some finished and some are still rough. This first one is made of a Myrtle Burl.

This is an ebony... macassar I'm pretty sure

Another Ebony.. still pretty rough

This one unfortunately broke, so it wont get finished:

I really enjoy the hooks and small carvings. These are my first attempts at smaller carvings and I'm still collecting tools. I would love to have any critical advice from the pros out there.

I took up a new hobby a couple years ago and have really been putting in more time the last three months... tattoo. I work with the modern machines, but only do the Polynesian tribal. I'll post the sketch and then the tattoos... all of them are in progress:

This first one is on my brother. It changed decently from the sketch. Had a very hard time getting the stencil to flow over the shoulder and onto the chest. Much of the stencil was drawn by hand.

Here is a pic of the progress. I'm a beginner at this, so I have to go over most all of it a second time as there are holidays. Any tattoo pros, please give your critique. I would appreciate.

Here is a sketch and tattoo for buddy from Guam.

It's really amazing how skin varies from person to person... this guys skin has been the easiest to work with (out of 4 different people I am working on). So this one has been the most technically sound.

This is on our chef from Hawaii:

Again, most will need a second coat of ink.

This is my first tattoo on myself.. still needs a lot of work:

This is a sketch that I will do on a buddy from hula class.

Tattoo is something I do for my own personal enjoyment... has no monitary value to me. I can now really appreciate what the pro tattoo artists do. Probably the hardest technical art I've tried. Any of the Tiki Central tattoo artists, I definitely welcome your critique. Thanks for looking
Scott

[ This Message was edited by: Tiki Terrace 2010-01-26 20:41 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Tiki Terrace 2010-03-04 22:28 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Tiki Terrace 2010-04-05 10:17 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Tiki Terrace 2010-04-05 23:17 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Tiki Terrace 2010-04-20 15:22 ]

View Profile of Tiki Terrace Send a personal message to Tiki Terrace  Email Tiki Terrace Goto the website of Tiki Terrace     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
congatiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-25 2:12 pm   Permalink

Even the broken one looks great! Beautiful work. Tiki Terrace is
definitely on my list this summer, and I'm gonna expect the red carpet
treatment

View Profile of congatiki Send a personal message to congatiki  Email congatiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-25 3:03 pm   Permalink

WOW, Scott, Just plain Awesome Stuff. Man you are getting Super Intricate with your details on your Hooks And tats. You are Definitely on the right path to do some Excellent pieces, LOVE the tats and wish I were in your neck of the woods, you could experiment on my old red skin.
For your Hooks you might want to try some bone too as it allows Much finer detail than the wood. The woods are great and they are Beautiful but they get too thin and they break. Your burls and the exotics with the tight, hard grain will be more stable.
PM me your address and I'll send you a few pieces of wood you might like for hooks. For bone, go to a Pet store and get the hollow dog bones. they come in pieces about 4 inches for 1.99$ and are clean, White and sterilized. just look for the ones with the thickest walls and the heaviest pieces. slice them on a band saw or use a regular coping, hack, jig saw.
You can use any of the woodworking burs but carbide and diamonds work best with the tine ones for fine detail.
Good luck, Keep up the great work and Keep Posting those Awesome Photos.
HappyHappyHappy!

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
big daddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-25 3:05 pm   Permalink

very nice work! tats are great as well. hell i can't tell where the break is, i would be proud to own that.

bd

View Profile of big daddy Send a personal message to big daddy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikibad
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-25 3:37 pm   Permalink

the carvings are just beautiful!!! Do you sell them??

View Profile of tikibad Send a personal message to tikibad  Email tikibad Goto the website of tikibad     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tiki beat by marcus thorn
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2009-01-26 02:49 am   Permalink

i love what you are doing keep up the good work

View Profile of tiki beat by marcus thorn Send a personal message to tiki beat by marcus thorn  Email tiki beat by marcus thorn Goto the website of tiki beat by marcus thorn     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AlohaStation
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-26 10:02 am   Permalink

Most excellent!! all the way around!

View Profile of AlohaStation Send a personal message to AlohaStation  Goto the website of AlohaStation     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TheBigT
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-26 11:11 am   Permalink

Great pattern work on the hooks! I love that last tattoo sketch - wow.

View Profile of TheBigT Send a personal message to TheBigT      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
seeksurf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-26 8:54 pm   Permalink

Nice! I really like.

View Profile of seeksurf Send a personal message to seeksurf  Email seeksurf Goto the website of seeksurf     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Terrace
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-01-26 10:16 pm   Permalink

Thanks so much for the comps! I really look forward to learning more and getting better. Keeps me sane in the midst of running a restaurant, arrgh! To answer some of the questions, I dont sell anything, yet. Just dont have time unfortunately... I usually make things as gifts for friends and family. The one hook that is "broken".. it actually broke after the picture seen in the thread. It is definitely not repairable. Thanks for the advice Benz! Yes, I really dont know what type of woods work best and am just guessing what types to choose... I did read your "carving tools" thread and picked up a bunch of your recommended bits, etc... very helpful and thanks for posting that! I will PM you in a moment!

Thanks!

View Profile of Tiki Terrace Send a personal message to Tiki Terrace  Email Tiki Terrace Goto the website of Tiki Terrace     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-29 7:35 pm   Permalink

Rock on!!!

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Terrace
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-02-15 7:49 pm   Permalink

Thanks for comps! Working on a gift for a customer and good friend. Still need to do all the fine sanding, but the rough stuff is done. Thanks Benz for the help and advice... detail work is so much easier now!

Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-02-16 11:37 am   Permalink

WOW, The detail on this guy is Outstanding, looks like you ave been practicing again. Can't wait to see it all sanded and finished!

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tiki junkman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-02-16 12:17 pm   Permalink

Top notch work my man!

I got to visit the Tiki Terrace soon.

Those tattoos are wicked.

aloha,
tiki junkman

View Profile of tiki junkman Send a personal message to tiki junkman  Email tiki junkman     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
laojia
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-02-16 9:42 pm   Permalink

Very good hook carving and I like tatoo too .
continued to do good work...

View Profile of laojia Send a personal message to laojia      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation