FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Creating Tiki » » Tiki Carving » » small wood carving from France. 2014 update... P 45
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 Next Page )
small wood carving from France. 2014 update... P 45
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-21 05:17 am   Permalink

Oh, Right, I Forgot , it is an American plow plane, used by the expert farmer to plow those long, straight lines in the dirt. we all knew that?
Or maybe it's a Handled Sandusky Beech Plow Plane w/ Boxwood Nuts (they must hurt).
But then it should be the Handled Skew Rabbit Plow Plane because of the skew cutter it most certainly has.
Which ever won it is It has Won main purpose and that is to cut (or plow) a long parallel ditch or rabbit in a piece of wood before you give up and throw it into the fireplace! (btw, it doesn't work on rabbits, but Makes rabbits,Everywon knows that)
Thanks Jerome

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
laojia
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-21 07:26 am   Permalink

"before you give up and throw it into the fireplace!"

Oh no BenZ ! This kind of tool never give up:

Just one minutes to make this groove... Sometimes faster than settle and start the machine.
In any case you deserve widely your price! I wait your address.

I've finished the dovetails assembly of my little workbench. Almost ready to leave in holyday. Playing with knive and wood hunk on the beach...

Plywood drawer, for tool and vise storage

closed by four bench dog

Now some pieces finished (And if I become a master in this kind of pieces,as I read above, it is thanks to every support/encouragement/advice from all TC'ers.)

This pendant ships tomorrow to its owner

My cord work must be improve, it's the first...

Two shiny koru

Have a good evening everyone!

Jérôme.

View Profile of laojia Send a personal message to laojia      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiMango
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-21 09:47 am   Permalink

Great looking pieces, and nice home for your tools.

View Profile of TikiMango Send a personal message to TikiMango  Email TikiMango     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
seeksurf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-22 5:15 pm   Permalink

Yes, those fella look great!

View Profile of seeksurf Send a personal message to seeksurf  Email seeksurf Goto the website of seeksurf     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
laojia
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-25 06:07 am   Permalink

Hello TC'ers!

Leaving holiday tomorrow!

Backpack, workbench, one old guy to continue carving and some good reading... face the océan!
So no update for few days, or only for check the swap.

Have nice days!!!

Jérôme.

View Profile of laojia Send a personal message to laojia      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TheBigT
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-25 06:48 am   Permalink

Wow, your woodworking skills are awesome! I love that workbench!! Have a great Holiday!

View Profile of TheBigT Send a personal message to TheBigT      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-25 08:09 am   Permalink

Wow, Lookit this stuff

This little work bench is Awesome!, just glue the postcard to the top and mail it along. AND Look at that JavaJava guy sitting up there ready for more detail,,SWEET.
Of course the pendants are Excellent too and I still love the Black wood the best.
Your cords are good and it is SO Easy to make them perfect from your level. Just Hold the braid tightly, alternating fingers and pulling it tight AS you braid it. The keeping the braid TIGHT makes all the difference. THEN after you have finished the braid and secured the ends, Stick a screw driver in a vice extending out horizontally and drape the cord over the shaft.( It can be anything but it should be smooth) Now grab each end of the cord with your hands and make a motion like you are Polishing the screwdriver, pulling very hard. Do this for a couple minutes and you will see the Magic begin.
Your braid will smooth out, tighten up and look like Paipo or Andy might have done it
Hope this helps.

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-11 2:44 pm   Permalink

Laojia, shouldn't you be coming home about now? I Know you took carving tools with you so what pieces do you have to delight us with?
Hope your Holiday was Nice and relaxing.

Paipo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-11 3:41 pm   Permalink

I love that workbench/box, it's so cool to see some other fine craftsmanship that is carving-related. I was just talking to a furniture maker I know out in the water yesterday, and I'm going to try and check out his workshop when I'm over in the city next time. Those old woodworking tools are very appealing! I am going 100% old-school and hand powered for my wood setup.
Hopefully you've made some progress on the MKK while you've been on holiday....I don't recall anyone else here ever attempting a full version?

View Profile of Paipo Send a personal message to Paipo  Goto the website of Paipo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
big daddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-11 11:18 pm   Permalink

Laojia,

beautiful workbox/bench and the little guy is coming along wonderfully. i still haven't gotten into my small piece of black walnut. how has it been to carve? have a great holiday and don't get too sunburned.

bd

View Profile of big daddy Send a personal message to big daddy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
laojia
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-13 06:17 am   Permalink

Hello I'm back yesterday!

A small reply after some hours of reading to discover all news stuff across the carving forum ... Lots of talent around... And not enough time to comment everyone ...

I was very exciting to see your new work Benz! And so sorry for what happens! I hope your injury heal good...

Maybe tomorrow a complete update with holiday pics...

Write you later!

Jérôme.

Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-13 08:18 am   Permalink

Welcome home Jerome, I'm sure you're tired after a long trip so just rest up a few minutes then Back to work??
Seriously, I hope you had a great time and cleared all the cobwebs out of your head. Thanks for the well wishes too I think I'll be carving in a day or two. Tried a bit today but it isn't gonna work yet!.

Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-13 3:06 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-06-20 16:01, laojia wrote:
Contest for a tools addict : If you know the name and function of this beast , mp me your adress and you win a postcard from my holiday place next week!!

More pics soon!
Have a good night!

Jérôme.

Laojia, A Beautiful Postcard arrived today and pictured were these Beautiful Boulders scattered around a field of Green, Green Grass, as far as the eye could see and I Swear that far off on one of the rocks is a shadow of a man creating the Moai. Is that you and is that why you named it "The field of not finished moai"? Only you sir , Beautiful, and Thanks Immensely for the card and for the thoughts too. How fortunate I could share your Holiday, Fun. Well I think I'm tired now so will turn in Thanks again.

laojia
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-14 01:18 am   Permalink

Hello TC'ers! Thank you late for reply Tikimango/Seeksurf/BigT/BD/Paipo/Benz...

The holiday was good, relaxing, sunny but not very studious for sculpture ... Only some of cord work (thank's for advise BenZ, very useful!) to deliver the last two Koru and a session of two hours to put the Kavakava on the road to progress. Also a pleasant encounter with a parisian carver for a lunch on the road...

BenZ!

How is your hand? Pleased that the card is already come, then that may be in the Yipwan also found its new home... Pleased to see that the postcard that you like! In fact, it is a field of stones lifted, dating back to antiquity and is called "menhir". It is something fairly common in Europe but rarely in such large numbers. Nobody really knows the meaning of any of this...

Some holiday pix:

White sand, sun, blue lagon water but temperature from brittany

A local Kavakava standing above a fountain lost in a field:

Lion that decorates a roof:

A dead thujas tree carving :

The owner of the garden told me that it was carved there are 5 or 6 years by a friend. "It was that or the fire" she has said...
Unicorn head detail:

After all these years, with the weather starts to rot, so she hopes to cut it to install on base.
prow of Drakkar:

No meeting with the artist, moved to the south of France...

Work pix:

Cord work for grenadill Koru:

Almost same for the pink ivory (just forgot to take the picture before delivery...)

Work in progress on the Kavakava

Paipo: I do not know if I am the first to attempt a full version (too recently registered) but I hope I'm not the last. I think it's a very good challenge for a carver... full of detail, full of work...

Foot cord vise: a technique of Indian I believe.

That's all for today, thank's for looking!

Have a nice day!

Jérôme.

Paipo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-14 01:47 am   Permalink

Good to see your magic box in action! It's given me some insight into solving problems I've wondered about with working on smaller pieces. A very elegant solution. Those pfeil chisels are making me jealous too!

View Profile of Paipo Send a personal message to Paipo  Goto the website of Paipo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation