FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki velvet paintings
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 Next Page )
velvet paintings
leleliz
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-04-26 3:17 pm   Permalink

Not sure if everyone saw this on EBay. It just sold today for $180.27. The seller was out of Texas so I am not sure if any of you are that person-but great job on the auction if you are!

Regardless I really love this painting and wanted to post it here:

And the signature :

Hopperfonda is the seller's ID btw.

View Profile of leleliz Send a personal message to leleliz      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TabooDan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-04-26 5:26 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-04-26 13:46, Psycho Tiki D wrote:
TabooDan,

What did the instructions label say about how to clean velvets??

Thanks,

PTD

Hey PTD, I don't have the painting now so I can't double check what it said. It was original with it and the only two things I remember was to keep it out of direct sunlight and to use a clothes brush to clean it and brush in the direction of the velvet. I find those kind of just push the dust and hair around though and can never get in the corners.

I just use a pet rollers with the sticky self adhesive sheets on it. They don't harm the painting and work very well. I haven't really had to use anything else.
Hope this helped a little.
Later, TabooDan

View Profile of TabooDan Send a personal message to TabooDan  Goto the website of TabooDan     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
1961surf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-04-27 3:39 pm   Permalink

Saw this on ebay, however its really not very hawaiian .Nice piece but
no known signature and really don't see anything hawaiian about it.
The flower she is holding is a daisy not a plumeria or hibiscus flower.
$180 is alot for unknown artist, still a very nice painting .

View Profile of 1961surf Send a personal message to 1961surf  Email 1961surf Goto the website of 1961surf     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
1961surf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-01 09:29 am   Permalink

Curious if any TC member won this Perc Miller velvet that closed yesterday.
Bongfury..Psycho Tiki D ??? Unfortunately I was out bid.Very cool piece,
and sold for alot more then I had expected .
This is true nostalgic 1950's hawaiiana at its finest.
Aloha -Trader Bill

View Profile of 1961surf Send a personal message to 1961surf  Email 1961surf Goto the website of 1961surf     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bongofury
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2009-05-01 5:24 pm   Permalink

Not me, but I like it.

View Profile of bongofury Send a personal message to bongofury  Email bongofury     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TabooDan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-02 09:55 am   Permalink

Quote:

1961surf wrote:[/i]
Curious if any TC member won this Perc Miller velvet that closed yesterday.
Unfortunately I was out bid. Very cool piece,
and sold for alot more then I had expected .

So....what did it sell for?? Always good knowing some of the prices that these velvets sold for. It is a nice one so I am curious.
Thanks, TabooDan

View Profile of TabooDan Send a personal message to TabooDan  Goto the website of TabooDan     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
1961surf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-02 10:34 am   Permalink

Taboo Dan $279.00

TabooDan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-02 5:25 pm   Permalink

Picked this nice large velvet up a couple of weeks back on our trip through the States:

Here's a close up of the signature, well actually, it is more of a symbol:

The details are good and she is well done. I like the hint of a vision of branches behind her just visible in the lite.

It is quite similar to one that Psycho Tiki D had posted earlier here on Page 2:

Clearly though, it is different and must have been done by someone else.
Possibly a Japanese artist??

TabooDan

kahalakruzer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-02 7:59 pm   Permalink

I'm still waiting to stumble onto my first, well NICE, Velvet painting...

View Profile of kahalakruzer Send a personal message to kahalakruzer      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Psycho Tiki D
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-03 12:09 pm   Permalink

Those sure are a couple of nice velvets posted here lately. I don't really ever buy much on Ebay, so the one posted by surf1961 was not purchased by me. Nice though!

TabooDan, that symbol is close, I wouldn't be surprised if it was done by the same artist, as he did a few nudes as well, although I have only seen one.

My find today even surprised the crap out of me. I half-heartedly got up early this morning after an evening of drinking my birthday absinthe and saw rain outside. Planned on going to the Lodi Street Fair to check out the antique sellers and look for tiki. Since it was coming down too bad and I checked the website for the fair to see if they were canceling due to rain, and they were still a go. Got in my car and started driving, boom...raining like crazy. I debated about turning around and going home. Intermittent light and heavy rain, the exit before I get off in Lodi, there is a huge car wreck in front of me. Second thoughts of turning around and going home. Get off the freeway and get lost.

Finally find the place. Park and start walking around. Most vendors have their wares covered up from the rain. Make a quick round trip through the vendors and start on my second leg. Always think I will find something from the Stockton Islander because Lodi is so close to Stockton. Nope, nothing.

I walk up to this space where this guy is selling a bunch of old bottles and junk he hauled out of some old mines. I see this velvet propped up, facing toward the inside of his booth. Pretty dirty and a little wet from the rain. Before I really look at it, I ask him what he wants for it. He tells me $10.00, so I take a closer look at it and immediately pull my wallet out and hand him the money.

As typical with most velvets, it is very hard to read the signatures. I looked on the back of the painting to find this...

"Back" "#55 Original Oil on Velvet, Burke Tyree, 1968".

Being this was so dirty, I could not make out this signature on the front until I came home and cleaned it...

"Tyree"

A few images of the painting!

Now residing on the newly remodeled and painted wall in tikihammer's room.

I asked the seller about this painting and how he acquired it. He told me, honestly and much to my surprise that he found it in a cave in Columbia, California!

This is perhaps my greatest find in the wild and now my second Tyree.

Later!

PTD

View Profile of Psycho Tiki D Send a personal message to Psycho Tiki D  Email Psycho Tiki D     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikipaka
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2009-05-03 1:36 pm   Permalink

Great score there Psycho Tiki D, damn you have all the luck! I'm still waiting to come across a nice black velvet in the wild.

View Profile of tikipaka Send a personal message to tikipaka  Email tikipaka Goto the website of tikipaka     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
leleliz
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-03 3:23 pm   Permalink

I know what vendor you are talking about PTD. Awesome score (ya punk!). In all honesty I never would of even thought to check out his booth since I walked past it about a dozen times and barely gave his stuff a glance. Stayed till noon so 3 hours in the rain was enough for me. Found a few items for cheap but none as awesome as that. You win this round

View Profile of leleliz Send a personal message to leleliz      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Formikahini
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-03 7:42 pm   Permalink

Awesome, AWESOME score!

For $200, that Tyree would have been awesome!!

For *TEN* dollah - Wheeeeeeee doggie!
F

View Profile of Formikahini Send a personal message to Formikahini  Email Formikahini     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TabooDan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-03 9:15 pm   Permalink

Now that's a nice one Psycho Tiki D!! Quite different than the usual ones as well. I love the way he writes on the back of his pieces. Cool little personal touch.
Great score man!!
Mahalo!!

Danno
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-05 11:54 am   Permalink

Great score Pscyho D! I always read about scores like this . . . and well, I'm reading about it again! Damn!

View Profile of Danno Send a personal message to Danno      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation