FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki velvet paintings
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 Next Page )
velvet paintings
1961surf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-10 10:38 am   Permalink

Thanks for posting this video Paipo ,quite entertaining.What a talented painter McPhee was
and what a life he has lived .I envy him in many ways.Really gives you an idea of where
and why Polynesian women velvets came about.I feel like getting on the next plane to Tahiti.

View Profile of 1961surf Send a personal message to 1961surf  Email 1961surf Goto the website of 1961surf     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Psycho Tiki D
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-11 07:56 am   Permalink

I went with leleliz to an estate sale last Thursday. This velvet nude was advertised and when the sale started liz bee-lined it in and staked a claim. Although not a Polynesian nude, a nice one anyway...

Another hard to read signature, looks like it is spelled "Zazueto"**.

Thanks again liz!

PTD

**Found out the artist is Zazuelo, he is in the Velvet Dreams book!

[ This Message was edited by: Psycho Tiki D 2009-07-17 15:08 ]

View Profile of Psycho Tiki D Send a personal message to Psycho Tiki D  Email Psycho Tiki D     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
leleliz
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-11 12:18 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-07-11 07:56, Psycho Tiki D wrote:
I went with leleliz to an estate sale last Thursday. This velvet nude was advertised and when the sale started liz bee-lined it in and staked a claim.

I didn't even have to elbow anyone !

I am glad it was worth picking up--it is really well done.

View Profile of leleliz Send a personal message to leleliz      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Psycho Tiki D
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-12 11:18 am   Permalink

Another one today for $10.00.

Can't make out the signature, will try and figure it our later.

PTD

View Profile of Psycho Tiki D Send a personal message to Psycho Tiki D  Email Psycho Tiki D     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Iokona Ki'i
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-12 12:16 pm   Permalink

Paipo,

Thanks for posting the link to 'Velvet Dreams'. I too have been
wanting to see it for awhile now. Very entertaining and inspiring!
Great to see some works I hadn't seen before. Leeteg is still my favorite
by a long shot, but I have a new appreciation for Charlie McPhee and others.
What a great character! Best comb over ever!

Jason

Nice score leleliz!

View Profile of Iokona Ki'i Send a personal message to Iokona Ki'i  Email Iokona Ki'i Goto the website of Iokona Ki'i     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Psycho Tiki D
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-17 3:06 pm   Permalink

Picked up another nude today...

Later,

PTD

leleliz
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-17 3:34 pm   Permalink

I like the way that recent find of yours was painted Duane.

So Tiki David has the Witco market cornered and you seem to have the nudie girls cornered....hmmm...looks like you got the better deal!

View Profile of leleliz Send a personal message to leleliz      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
1961surf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-17 11:05 pm   Permalink

Hard to compare leetegs and Tyrees to mexican velvets though.

View Profile of 1961surf Send a personal message to 1961surf  Email 1961surf Goto the website of 1961surf     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Psycho Tiki D
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-18 06:53 am   Permalink

Not sure if anyone is making a comparison here Bill, just posting the velvets we are finding.

I would venture to guess that for every Leeteg or Tyree painted there were hundreds, perhaps thousands of velvets painted in Mexico and the Phillipines. Some are done quite well and others are a bit cartoony.

I like the less cartoony ones myself, but I welcome them all here.

I saw six velvets yesterday. One set of Snoopy and Charlie Brown, one of an African American couple, one set of He-Man Master of the Universe and the nude I bought. Ususally don't see that many in one place.

I'll stick with nudes and polynesian paintings, but I like them all.

PTD

Cool Manchu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-02 5:44 pm   Permalink

Just to get this in the right thread...

It's an original Charles McPhee called Tahitian Innocence, dated 1961.

View Profile of Cool Manchu Send a personal message to Cool Manchu  Email Cool Manchu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Psycho Tiki D
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-02 6:41 pm   Permalink

I thought I recognized that when I met you on the way out! I musta missed that one cause I went down Row S and never saw it!

Congrats and nice to meet you!

PTD

Cool Manchu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-02 7:09 pm   Permalink

Wow, nice to meet you too! I got so many compliments and looks on the way out. Yeah, like I said, the ladies only had this one, they did have a mug or two and some cool stuff in general, but I hardly see any velvet paintings that would be of our collective liking out there...

I look forward to getting to know you better in person next time I am out in Alameda Psycho Tiki D.

View Profile of Cool Manchu Send a personal message to Cool Manchu  Email Cool Manchu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikibars
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-02 8:19 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-07-17 15:06, Psycho Tiki D wrote:
Picked up another nude today...

Hey Psycho D, where did you get this?

I sold this exact painting to a guy in California a few years ago. Can't remember who, it was a random ebay buyer. Got it at an estate auction here in Chicago.

Mine was identical in every way, right down to the girl's deformed-looking left hand.

Sure, these things were often copied and produced in quantity, but wouldn't it be odd if you had my former copy. It is easy to identify - someone screwed a wooden ruler to the back of the frame, ostensibly to strengthen the frame. Ring a bell?

View Profile of tikibars Send a personal message to tikibars  Email tikibars Goto the website of tikibars     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Psycho Tiki D
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-03 06:20 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-08-02 19:09, Cool Manchu wrote:
Wow, nice to meet you too! I got so many compliments and looks on the way out. Yeah, like I said, the ladies only had this one, they did have a mug or two and some cool stuff in general, but I hardly see any velvet paintings that would be of our collective liking out there...

I look forward to getting to know you better in person next time I am out in Alameda Psycho Tiki D.

Cool Manchu,

Still amazed by the quality of your velvet! I don't make it out to Alameda too often, but I will let you know the next time we go and we can meet up. Great score and hope you find the proper place to hang it!

PTD

Psycho Tiki D
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-03 06:23 am   Permalink

[/quote]

Hey Psycho D, where did you get this?

I sold this exact painting to a guy in California a few years ago. Can't remember who, it was a random ebay buyer. Got it at an estate auction here in Chicago.

Mine was identical in every way, right down to the girl's deformed-looking left hand.

Sure, these things were often copied and produced in quantity, but wouldn't it be odd if you had my former copy. It is easy to identify - someone screwed a wooden ruler to the back of the frame, ostensibly to strengthen the frame. Ring a bell?
[/quote]

tikibars,

No ruler attached to the frame on this one. Has to be a copy of the same one, although the hand looks deformed, it actually is the way the lighting is supposed to be picking up the details of the hand. How much did you sell yours for??

PTD

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation