FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Collecting Tiki » » velvet paintings
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 Next Page )
velvet paintings
leleliz
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-12-23 3:49 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-12-19 20:14, Iokona Ki'i wrote:
Now I got a Leeteg, McPhee, and a Erwin.
Needs me a Tyree next. Look out
Bongofury!

Bongofury I think what Jason is implying here is that you may need to install a better security system at your house

Great finds recently on these velvets Jason!

View Profile of leleliz Send a personal message to leleliz      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bongofury
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2011-01-07 4:18 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-12-19 20:14, Iokona Ki'i wrote:
Scored this beautiful Charlie McPhee velvet recently.

Now I got a Leeteg, McPhee, and a Erwin.
Needs me a Tyree next. Look out
Bongofury!

I really like McPhee's velvets. I still have that Lavisse for ya when you are ready to trade. This is the last Black Velvet painting I bought...

A few months later I was looking in a book on Tahiti from 1965 and found this photo...

Also from the book is this photo titled "Painting On Black Velvet"

View Profile of bongofury Send a personal message to bongofury  Email bongofury     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Psycho Tiki D
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-03-26 11:54 am   Permalink

Due to the special assistance of my good friends leleliz and Sandra Dee (nice to meet you, Sandra), I responded to a craigslist ad and they picked these up and delivered these to me yesterday. It isn't often you can call someone who collects the same things you do and ask them to drive over, pay for and deliver the same stuff you compete for to you...so "Thank You" to liz and Sandra...it was good to see you again last night, Ami and I enjoyed your company.

I had a feeling about the look of these two. No, not Leeteg, McPhee, Tyree or Erwin, but what limited information that exists about the artist painting in velvet medium is nearly non-existent. But I did find a small blurb about this artist being a protege of Bill Erwin and a velvet from this artist was featured on an album cover of Pepe and the Rarotongans “Memories of Rarotonga”.

This velvet measures a large 27"x35" and the frame makes this very heavy. Marked on the back with 01/27/67 and 551-Y it also has the familiar silver and blue foil sticker from Davis Gallery in Honolulu Hawaii. Signed by KASE AOTEAROA.

This painting was done on brown. This velvet is the same dimensions as the one posted above, marked with date Feb. 23, 1967 and 723-Y and has the same heavy frame and Davis Gallery sticker on the back of the painting. This one is simply signed KASE.

These were both painted by a New Zealand modernist artist named Kase Jackson. His works are on exhibit in several NZ museums, but I have only found three examples of his artwork thus far and have yet to see another velvet painting done by Kase. From what I can tell, these velvets were completed years before the dates found on the back (these written dates appear to be from when they were framed) but not sure of the exact time period.

If anyone has more information on this artist, I would love to know about him.

Later,

PTD

[ This Message was edited by: Psycho Tiki D 2011-03-26 11:56 ]

View Profile of Psycho Tiki D Send a personal message to Psycho Tiki D  Email Psycho Tiki D     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SandraDee
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-03-26 3:02 pm   Permalink

Those photographed so nice. Great to meet you both too !

You guys sure go through alot to find your scores. It was a fun day and thanks for the meal and tiki talk!

Love to Ami!

View Profile of SandraDee Send a personal message to SandraDee      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Paipo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-03-26 3:14 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-10-29 03:30, Paipo wrote:

Mine is in similar condition as your second one - a little tired, lost a fair bit of the nap and the colours have faded but I still love it. I have the matching set too..

When I got the painting the name jogged my memory, and sifting through a stack of my "Art New Zealand" magazines I found an article entitled "Velvet Modernism: Kase Jackson in Rotorua ". There is a photo of him painting this very picture, including the model, and perhaps I'm being overly optimistic, but the patterns on the pareu seem to be an exact match for my version? I'd like to find out where the author sourced his pic to be sure. I'd post the article but it's about 4 pages and I dropped my scanner a year or so ago - I will update the thread when I find a new one.

View Profile of Paipo Send a personal message to Paipo  Goto the website of Paipo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Psycho Tiki D
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-03-26 4:33 pm   Permalink

Paipo,

I noticed in my search that magazine issue 121 I believe was mentioned. Too bad about your scanner. Did the article indicate how long he painted velvets or how many? Does your painting have a date on it?

I can't imagine the conditions of either NZ or Hawaii (salt air) could have been good on paintings, let alone velvet and oil? It would be interesting to know how they made it from New Zealand to California.

Thanks for posting and I was glad to see the record as well.

PTD

View Profile of Psycho Tiki D Send a personal message to Psycho Tiki D  Email Psycho Tiki D     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Psycho Tiki D
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-03-26 4:36 pm   Permalink

Oops, double post??

[ This Message was edited by: Psycho Tiki D 2011-03-28 12:25 ]

Psycho Tiki D
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-03-28 12:27 pm   Permalink

Paipo,

It is hard to see, but does the picture on the album cover show a flower in the girl's hair behind her ear? Strange if it does because neither yours or mine has the flower??

Thanks,

PTD

bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-03-28 1:15 pm   Permalink

How cool! To have a photo of the model and the artist painting the very painting one owns! Interesting that Leeteg was not the only one who would paint the same subject multiple times...I bet it was that Barney Davis that made them do it!

Paipo, could you maybe just PHOTOGRAPH that pic in the article? Perfection is secondary when curiosity abounds!

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-03-29 09:19 am   Permalink

I have always been fascinated by the "Artists & Models" subject :

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
teaKEY
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-03-29 5:49 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-03-29 09:19, bigbrotiki wrote:

Just a ploy to stare at naked women for an extended time and not be labelled a perv

View Profile of teaKEY Send a personal message to teaKEY  Email teaKEY Goto the website of teaKEY     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
teaKEY
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-03-29 5:49 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-03-29 09:19, bigbrotiki wrote:

Just a ploy to stare at naked women for an extended time and not be labelled a perv

View Profile of teaKEY Send a personal message to teaKEY  Email teaKEY Goto the website of teaKEY     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Paipo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-03-31 6:59 pm   Permalink

Here you go Sven...

(pants optional?)

According to the article, Kase Jackson was a noted modernist who worked briefly with Charlie McPhee before branching off on his own when he realised painting velvets was far more lucrative than being a cubist in the 60s.

Look familiar? I have seen this picture painted/signed by McPhee also...in this very thread!

Apparently the switch from high to lowbrow was too much for Colin McCahon, NZ's most famous painter and a contemporary of Jackson, who dropped him as a friend.

Kase sold most of his work through the Scholes gallery in Rotorua, then (and still to some degree) the mecca of NZ and Maori tourism. The gallery had no such problems conciliating the differing styles of art and exhibited contemporary and modernist art, sculpture and ceramics alongside Maori wood carvings, sheepskins, native wood tchotchkes and of course, velvet paintings:

The demand was such that a dedicated "Polynesian Room" was opened specifically to showcase Jackson's work.

Unfortunately the article doesn't really go on to say how long Kase painted for or if he is still around (he'd now be 85). He was reasonably prolific so I'm sure more works will come to light...

View Profile of Paipo Send a personal message to Paipo  Goto the website of Paipo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Psycho Tiki D
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-04-01 04:33 am   Permalink

Wow Paipo, way to come through and tie loose ends together, that is an absolutely amazing story and thank you for sharing it.

I read that Mr. Jackson passed away in 2006? (cannot remember specific year). Too bad no much exists on the internet about this or many velvet contemporary artists.

Again, thank you,

PTD

[ This Message was edited by: Psycho Tiki D 2011-04-01 06:03 ]

bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-04-01 11:07 am   Permalink

Excellent find and post, Paipo! Who will do the "Book of Black Velvet Artists" now!? Love that photo of the gallery, with the Tapa wall paper, the 50s table, and the painting on the right must be amazing in real life, it is quite large.

Wonder what his modernist art looked like...

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation