FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Collecting Tiki » » velvet paintings
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 Next Page )
velvet paintings
whyvelvet

Posted: 2011-04-17 8:02 pm   Permalink

This lovely lady has been gracing our walls for a number of years now. My husband found her in the trash. He spoke with the man throwing her away and asked if he could buy her, to which the man replied "it's trash, you can just have it". My husband feeling it wouldn't be fair just to take her, gave the man $5.00.

"Kama" is part of the family. We tell her story often and have shared her with many. I just found this site today and thought a few of you might appreciate her as well.

We've seen many Tyree's and we believe Kama is among one of his best.

She's in great condition, complete with the original carved wood frame, signature, title and date.

Enjoy!
E

View Profile of whyvelvet Send a personal message to whyvelvet      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bora Boris
Mr. Unreasonable

Posted: 2011-04-17 9:31 pm   Permalink

I'm enjoying! Thank you!!

View Profile of Bora Boris Send a personal message to Bora Boris      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GROG
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2011-04-17 11:56 pm   Permalink

Thank you for sharing. Great rescue from the trash.

View Profile of GROG Send a personal message to GROG      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiG
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-04-18 06:32 am   Permalink

Trash!? HAhahahahaha - Thanks for sharing!

View Profile of TikiG Send a personal message to TikiG  Email TikiG     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-04-19 09:26 am   Permalink

Wow, what an amazing painting! Way to save it from the trash!

This image reminds me so much of Ilona, this American Indian/German girl I knew in Munich in 1974...

Though several years younger than her, I met her in a club (while she was on LSD). Unfortunately I lived in Berlin at the time. I remember going to see the Marlon Brando "Bounty" with her (she was dressed at that point) and I remember all the turned heads. I felt like Fletcher Christian

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiRootsRocka
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-05-01 2:32 pm   Permalink

Hello everyone! I'm a long time lurker, but, would like to start contributing and become a positive member of the community. I came across this, Bill Erwin, black velvet painting and wanted to share, and to get some thoughts because I don't know anything about it.

All I know about Bill Erwin is from what I've learned in the posts in this thread and a quick google search. I know that he was Leetag's protege and that's about it. If anybody has any info about this specific painting, that would be awesome, I couldn't find anything about it in my venture through google.

This is the first painting I've ever bought, so, any thoughts on the value would be appreciated, too. I kind of consider myself a picker, so, it's always cool to know what something is "worth". If you don't think it's anything special, please let me know that, too. I really just want to learn as much as I can.

I also got some other cool stuff today that I'll add to "Tiki Finds".

Thanks to everybody for making this such a fun and informational website, I thoroughly enjoy reading through the threads, checking out the pics, and learning more about everything tiki and Polynesian pop.

View Profile of TikiRootsRocka Send a personal message to TikiRootsRocka  Email TikiRootsRocka Goto the website of TikiRootsRocka     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bongofury
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2011-05-03 4:10 pm   Permalink

WhyVelvet- Nice Tyree! TRR- Bill Erwin did some nice stuff too. As far as value, that is hard to pin down. If there is a good combination of light/shadow/ composition, original frame, provenance, then it will fetch more. I have seen his stuff sell in the range of $150.00-850.00 depending on the combination above. If you like it then it is worth what you paid for it.

Here are a couple of velvets found earlier this year

Van Zandt

Frank Oda (Hale Pua)

View Profile of bongofury Send a personal message to bongofury  Email bongofury     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trad'r Bill
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-07-24 2:54 pm   Permalink

I found this painting at an estate sale in Tiburon:

I can't quite read the signature (KIVE QA?):

it's somewhat reminiscent of this postcard:

-Trad'r Bill

[ This Message was edited by: Trad'r Bill 2011-07-24 16:05 ]

View Profile of Trad'r Bill Send a personal message to Trad'r Bill  Email Trad'r Bill     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
1961surf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-07-24 4:42 pm   Permalink

Very cool Trader Bill!

View Profile of 1961surf Send a personal message to 1961surf  Email 1961surf Goto the website of 1961surf     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Psycho Tiki D
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-07-25 1:39 pm   Permalink

Trad'r Bill,

Thanks for posting the velvet and the postcard, I have the same one (postcard that is). If you ever want to get rid of the velvet (sell or trade) let me know!

PTD

View Profile of Psycho Tiki D Send a personal message to Psycho Tiki D  Email Psycho Tiki D     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ErkNoLikeFire
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-07-30 7:36 pm   Permalink

I picked this up a few months back. There is a signature but I cant make it out. I'll take a picture of it later and maybe someone can decipher it?

“The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass.” Martin Mull

"Rum is not drinking, it's surviving" Robert Shaw THE DEEP

View Profile of ErkNoLikeFire Send a personal message to ErkNoLikeFire  Email ErkNoLikeFire     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikicoma
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2011-08-02 12:02 am   Permalink

I've picked up a couple of velvets in the last two years.

signed Agulto same as sputnikmoss' back on page one. Because of the local bases I'm also guessing from the Philippines.

the quality of this painting is excellent, signed TT Guttan 71 possibly.

of course they both look much better without the cameras flash. I have my eye on a Bill Erwin Hawaiian Cowboy (I guess) painting but I need to talk it's owner down on the price (I'm cheap er I mean thrifty)

aloha, tikicoma

View Profile of tikicoma Send a personal message to tikicoma      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Wildsville man
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-02 8:51 pm   Permalink

As I look through all the pages of Black Velvets I have to say the Artist Robb Hamel who was around for a couple of years and then faded off still seams to be the strongest by craft and design. Of course this is my own opinion and I respect LeeTag and other artist of the past,but the classic design still boarders on tacky even though it's considered classic. During Tiki Caliente 2's art show we had 3 original Robb Hamels and they all Sold. Great art,I wish he would do more.

This is the piece I own......architecture on black velvet has to be hard.

http://tiki-caliente.com/info/?cat=12

View Profile of Wildsville man Send a personal message to Wildsville man  Email Wildsville man Goto the website of Wildsville man     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Cool Manchu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-02 10:23 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-08-02 20:51, Wildsville man wrote:
As I look through all the pages of Black Velvets I have to say the Artist Robb Hamel who was around for a couple of years and then faded off still seams to be the strongest by craft and design. Of course this is my own opinion and I respect LeeTag and other artist of the past,but the classic design still boarders on tacky even though it's considered classic. During Tiki Caliente 2's art show we had 3 original Robb Hamels and they all Sold. Great art,I wish he would do more.

This is the piece I own......architecture on black velvet has to be hard.

I really dig that picture! Even if it has an illuminated phallus on it

View Profile of Cool Manchu Send a personal message to Cool Manchu  Email Cool Manchu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SandraDee
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-03 06:59 am   Permalink

Uh..Robb hasn't gone anywhere..

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=27640&forum=18&872

View Profile of SandraDee Send a personal message to SandraDee      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation