FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki velvet paintings
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 Next Page )
velvet paintings
1961surf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-30 7:18 pm   Permalink

Xlnt velvet -spiked.In all my years collecting I have never seen a three
dimemsional scenic velvet.Thats got to be rare , especially that size.
Here is one on ebay that recently sold of Waikiki scene.

View Profile of 1961surf Send a personal message to 1961surf  Email 1961surf Goto the website of 1961surf     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Okolehao
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-02-15 2:23 pm   Permalink

Some great looking stuff here.

[ This Message was edited by: Okolehao 2009-02-15 15:12 ]

View Profile of Okolehao Send a personal message to Okolehao  Goto the website of Okolehao     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sabina
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-03 5:18 pm   Permalink

This is another of the Massive "Lavisse" black velvets from the Kahiki TikiSkip had. OakTiki gave it to me and the Lounge of the Seven Pleasures as a Birthday present several years ago. Between my memories of the Kahiki and my more recent memories of all the Ohio Ohana, it makes me smile every time I see it.

(Compare it to 1961surf's Leeteg Tahitian Chief back on page 3 earlier in the thread.)

The small white-ish line to the left of his head is a slight tear in the fabric. The frame also has some slight damage down in the lower right hand corner tucked behind Polypop's carving.

Eventually he'll be carefully repaired and hung properly on the main wall in the Kapu Gardens portion of the Lounge, but for the moment, he's resting safe and sound along the Lounge wall greeting all who enter.

View Profile of Sabina Send a personal message to Sabina  Goto the website of Sabina     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
1961surf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-06 12:38 pm   Permalink

This is a Tahitian chief which I own and have posted on this thread prior

View Profile of 1961surf Send a personal message to 1961surf  Email 1961surf Goto the website of 1961surf     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Formikahini
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-06 6:27 pm   Permalink

OK, first attempt at posting a photo EVER on TC. (Thanks for making it so EASY, Hanford! wow!)

Here's a gal I found a couple of years ago in San Antonio. I wish you could have felt what I felt.
First, there was the stack of paintings.

"Oh, if only there were something good in here."

I flip through some and see the head of an Asian girl on black velvet.
"Oh, if only she's naked!" I hope to myself.

And she's naked.

I continue pulling back the paintings in front of her, thinking:
"Oh, if only she's with a tiki."

And she's leaning on a tiki!!

The photos suck: out of focus or too well lit (picking up the nap and the dust), but you get the idea.
The artist is possibly Vegas or Legas, and " '71 ".
The frame? Ick. But she came with it. One day I'll get around to having her properly framed.
My heart was pounding as I brought her to the desk.

She hangs with honor in my bar, the centerpiece behind the bar itself.

View Profile of Formikahini Send a personal message to Formikahini  Email Formikahini     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-06 10:57 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-03-06 18:27, Formikahini wrote:
OK, first attempt at posting a photo EVER on TC. (Thanks for making it so EASY, Hanford! wow!)

Here's a gal I found a couple of years ago in San Antonio. I wish you could have felt what I felt.
First, there was the stack of paintings.

"Oh, if only there were something good in here."

I flip through some and see the head of an Asian girl on black velvet.
"Oh, if only she's naked!" I hope to myself.

And she's naked.

I continue pulling back the paintings in front of her, thinking:
"Oh, if only she's with a tiki."

And she's leaning on a tiki!!

The photos suck: out of focus or too well lit (picking up the nap and the dust), but you get the idea.
The artist is possibly Vegas or Legas, and " '71 ".
The frame? Ick. But she came with it. One day I'll get around to having her properly framed.
My heart was pounding as I brought her to the desk.

She hangs with honor in my bar, the centerpiece behind the bar itself.

Formica,

Rule #1. NO WHITE WALLS!

Bamboo Ben
Custom Tropical Decor
I build Tiki Rooms for you! Just ask around ;)
https://www.facebook.com/bamboo.ben

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bongo Bungalow
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-07 03:27 am   Permalink

Formikahini, thanks for sharing. What a great find! I wonder how hold the painting is?

View Profile of Bongo Bungalow Send a personal message to Bongo Bungalow  Email Bongo Bungalow Goto the website of Bongo Bungalow     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Big Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-07 06:01 am   Permalink

Okay! Now that you've figure out how to post photos, how bout some pics of that home bar?!?!?

View Profile of Big Kahuna Send a personal message to Big Kahuna  Email Big Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Formikahini
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-07 09:59 am   Permalink

Ben-
the walls are green! But i too wish they were covered with grass matting, etc.
NEXT house...

BB, the painting was painted in '71, so she's 36 yrs old...just like me..haha...

Big K, posting more will require understanding the digital camera that I own (a gift from a sweet TC-er), which just hasn't happened yet. Some day....

View Profile of Formikahini Send a personal message to Formikahini  Email Formikahini     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unga Bunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-07 11:59 am   Permalink

Formikahini
Great story and[ painting.
I could hear your voice singing in rejoice all the way to California.
You should have bought a lottery ticket that day as well.

View Profile of Unga Bunga Send a personal message to Unga Bunga      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikipaka
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2009-03-08 03:43 am   Permalink

Wow Formikahini, what a great find. Damn you've got to love it when you say to yourself, I need to find a certain item and the damn thing just shows up. I've done that myself a few times. But this velvet takes the cake. What a great one and with a tiki to boot.. The gods must be with you.. Lucky you. Well I do beleive that good things come to those who wait.. And I'm still waiting.. Now I'm putting one of those on my wish list.

View Profile of tikipaka Send a personal message to tikipaka  Email tikipaka Goto the website of tikipaka     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
1961surf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-08 8:23 pm   Permalink

Keep the original frame -dont change it .....nice retro frame .

Amadscientist

Posted: 2009-03-25 08:57 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-06-01 15:37, Psycho Tiki D wrote:
Wow,

This kinda intrigued me today:

http://sacramento.craigslist.org/gms/341867408.html

ESTATE SALE OF "BUS" & LYNN PENDLETON (SACRAMENTO). What caught eye in the ad was they were selling "Paintings of Native Girls on Black Velvet from the old Zombie Hut Restaurant" which, in addition to the Hereford House Restuarant, were owned by Bus Pendleton.

The sale began at 9:00 a.m. I did not make there until 12:30 and didn't expect to find much. I was surprised to find both velvet paintings still for sale. One looked Polynesian and the other had more of a European look to it so I bought the Polynesian one:

I was unable to read the signature. To further complicate matters, the cord for the light was in a hole that went from the den into the garage, where the cord was plugged into an outlet. I paid for the picture, went out to the garage, cut the cord and went back into the house and removed the picture from the wall.

Inscribed on the back was the folllowing: "Native Dancer" Orignial Oil On Silk Velvet, No Copies-No Duplicates, Burke Tyree 1964, $150.00! I didn't say anything to the estate sales people, although they did tell me the children of this estate kept all the Leeteg velvets.

I can read the signature now! I love it!

Psycho Tiki D (I know I am and now I have a velvet painting from the Zombie Hut and by Burks Tyree)!

[ This Message was edited by: Psycho Tiki D 2007-06-01 16:44 ]

This is an old post so forgive me if this has already been covered.

First, let me introduce myself. I am Amadscientist, but you can call me Mark.

I have been researching the "Zombie Hut" of Sacramento. I noticed this post during a google search and noticed a big error and also wanted to add some input. The painting by Tryee may well have hung in the Zombie Hut as another similar painting did hang in the home of the surviving original owner of the Restaurant. But the mistake that was made was about "BUS" PENDLETON. If the add for this estate sale actually stated he owned the Zombie Hut, that was a either a mistake or an outright lie. But for the sake of the art and make sure it's background is related correctly it should be noted that the only owners of the Sacramento Zombie Hut were Ed and Beatrice Hill who opened the restaurant and ran it until the mid 1970s when they sold it to Bruce Brooks.

Mrs. Hill passed several years ago and was survived by her two daughters and her grandchildren. The restaurant was very much family owned and operated. We have several peices from the Zombie Hut as well as original photos from the Beatrice Hill's, as well as other family members collection.

Another Tyree painting was sold by Wynona Butler the daughter of Ed and Beatrice which depicted a similar girl, with a hibiscus flower in her right ear with her left hand towards her face. It may have been a partial nude. (I can't remember).

Thanks

Mark

View Profile of Amadscientist Send a personal message to Amadscientist      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Psycho Tiki D
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-25 09:04 am   Permalink

Mark,

Are you local to the Sacramento area? The estate auction was pretty devoid of anything else pertaining to the Zombie Hut, so your story makes sense. It would be greatly appreciated if you could share any more information on the Zombie Hut, including, if at all possible, photos of anything you have related to the the place. I am surprised not more of the stuff surfaces around here.

If you are able to contact the former owners decendants for more information about the Zombie Hut and share it here, there are quite a few of us that would find this fasinating.

Thanks for posting and welcome aboard. Look forward to hearing more!

PTD

View Profile of Psycho Tiki D Send a personal message to Psycho Tiki D  Email Psycho Tiki D     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SilverLine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-25 1:33 pm   Permalink

Here's my first velvet, just purchased today. I was kinda on the fence about it but Mrs. SilverLine likes it so . .

Is it Tang Lao? Anybody have anything else by him?

Oh well, it looks nice and was just under $20.

Classic Silver Line Boats

View Profile of SilverLine Send a personal message to SilverLine  Goto the website of SilverLine     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation