FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Creating Tiki » » Tiki Carving » » Tama - update
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 Next Page )
Tama - update
Tamapoutini
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-02-16 1:31 pm   Permalink

Kia ora All –

Tama V2.0! At Paipos suggestion Ill kick off this new thread with a bit of flagrant self-promotion; the TC Kiwi boys both picking up placements at NZs recent ‘12th Pounamu/Jade & Hard Stone Exhibition’ held bi-annually at a local gallery here on the Sth Islands’ West Coast. Thanks Ben and Pdrake for your kind messages of support!

Besides the overall ‘Premier Award’ winner, P’po was the undeniable star of the show with one of his ‘Hidden Charms’ series scooping top prize in the Adornment category. The concept and execution of the piece in question being a stroke of pure (evil) genius! Id love to tell you about it but feel its probably better coming from the man hisself.. Go on P, let them in..

I was personally very happy to receive a Merit Award for one of my entries (pekapeka) which earned me a very sexy chunk of British Colombian nephrite and an excuse to sit with the judge of the show at dinner later. This to me was the real highlight, John Edgar being one of a legendary crew of pioneer studio stonecarver/sculptors in NZ. A truly inspiring guy to listen to, his speech for the evening revolving around the theme of communicating through the medium of stone, or as he put it, ‘teaching stones to talk’.
As well as picking up prizes, the pendants made by Paipo and myself were purchased by the host gallery to add to their permanent pounamu/jade collection; another huge honour.

*the posters will be for sale on eBay once show is finished.. Actually Im not even sure how many were printed, possibly just the one(?) Rest assured I will do my best to grab as many as I can. In the meantime heres a snippet from the catalogue:

Proof that Paipo and I are on the same page. Well, almost..

The original beachcomber..

Most of the opening night attendees have strong ties to the ‘jade community’, perhaps half of them carvers themselves. A few rising stars amongst the crowd.

“Id like to thank the Academy, my parents, etc..”

The other piece I had entered was based on the Maori ‘re niho Paraoa’ or pierced whaletooth, the difference being that my ‘tooth’ was plucked from the jaws of a taniwha/sea monster..!

--
--

And to pad out pg1, heres a few from recent months:

Tiki-breastplate:

-

Double-sided Double Tiki:

-

Little trad hei-Tiki:

-

Little Moko'ed warrior:

-

Tangaroa - *sorry Grog, this had been promised to a woman of Cook Islnd decent, a gift for her father. I guess this makes us even, you b*stard..

-

Latest side-hanger:

-

V2.0 off to a flying start. Keep the pressure on me..

Take care All!

Tama

[ This Message was edited by: Tamapoutini 2010-04-27 03:22 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Tamapoutini 2010-12-20 16:46 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Tamapoutini 2012-04-02 03:40 ]

View Profile of Tamapoutini Send a personal message to Tamapoutini  Email Tamapoutini     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GMAN
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-02-16 1:42 pm   Permalink

welcome back Hommie! Sweetz Stuffs!

View Profile of GMAN Send a personal message to GMAN      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JenTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-02-16 1:44 pm   Permalink

Congratulations Tama! Those two pieces are certainly worthy of awards.

Just one bit of feedback ... don't ever make me scroll so far down your post to get to the "good stuff"! I was starting to think you'd forgotten all about my needs!

Well done, sir!

View Profile of JenTiki Send a personal message to JenTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
seeksurf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-02-16 8:57 pm   Permalink

Yes a new posting and the GMAN is first to post again Dam!

Congrats well earned, top of the line as i always suspected.

View Profile of seeksurf Send a personal message to seeksurf  Email seeksurf Goto the website of seeksurf     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GreenCarvings
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-02-16 9:25 pm   Permalink

Woohoo! You guys are legends!
Absolutely amazing work as usual T.
That pekapeka is breath taking.

View Profile of GreenCarvings Send a personal message to GreenCarvings      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
laojia
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-02-16 10:38 pm   Permalink

Congratulation for award, worthy to my sense!!! Your work is astounding !!! The rei niha Taniwha are lacemaking on stone.

View Profile of laojia Send a personal message to laojia      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Ellly
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-02-16 10:56 pm   Permalink

Thank you for sharing your masterpieces...every one is a breathless beauty...

View Profile of Ellly Send a personal message to Ellly      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
big daddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-02-17 06:32 am   Permalink

...............words just escape me. beautiful stuff and as always, t and the rest of the "stone cutters" out there have my deepest respect and amazement.

congratulations!

bd

View Profile of big daddy Send a personal message to big daddy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-02-17 10:54 am   Permalink

Well Well, Great Happy news all around. Definitely a Great way to start up a new thread. Big Congratulations again for being recognized as good as we Knew you were from the start, it's about time those guys opened their eyes to the facts!
That Legendary "Box of 80" has held these winners for quite awhile and we have seen progress on them both at one time or another and I guess it's good that you still had them in the box, available for last minute finishing and dazzling entry into the show. I know how it is when you need something really fast, you look through your box for the best stuff that needs the least work that you can finish up and get out the door. Good thing the box was there.
You Know we have missed your posts a lot and now that you have a new thread started we will expect a Regular entry every day! Anyway just know that we are Proud of your new accomplishments and honors.
HappyHappyHappy

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
surfintiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-02-17 2:20 pm   Permalink

oh MY GOD! Lookee all that BEEE-u-tifulness! Love the moko warrier, love the marq, love it all.
You and Paips on the same page? Ha, who's the better surfer though?!
...and that chunk of rock! AHHHHH

View Profile of surfintiki Send a personal message to surfintiki  Goto the website of surfintiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-02-17 2:25 pm   Permalink

OH Yeah, Almost forgot, If you can PULEEEZE get a poster for me and I'd
Love to have it signed! :lol

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TravelingJones
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2009-02-17 6:39 pm   Permalink

KUDOS...KIWI KOBBLERS KICKA$$!!!

Congrats T & P on your significant accolades! TC is truly blessed having such upstanding and certifiable stoners amongst our creative clan!!

HAKA HAKA HAKA!

Flip-flOp-fLipPp...

[ This Message was edited by: TravelingJones 2009-02-17 18:42 ]

View Profile of TravelingJones Send a personal message to TravelingJones      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tahitiki
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2009-02-17 10:46 pm   Permalink

Congratulation, your work is amazing!!!

View Profile of Tahitiki Send a personal message to Tahitiki  Email Tahitiki Goto the website of Tahitiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hiltiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-02-18 07:02 am   Permalink

Congratulations your work is always great.

View Profile of hiltiki Send a personal message to hiltiki  Goto the website of hiltiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AlohaStation
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-02-18 09:43 am   Permalink

This is a well deserved treat for two of TC best stoners! The creativity and dedication to detail you both have has truly paid off. I feel good to know that "I knew them when..."

Congrats!!

View Profile of AlohaStation Send a personal message to AlohaStation  Goto the website of AlohaStation     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation