FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki An open letter to Tiki Central from Martin/Martiki
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
An open letter to Tiki Central from Martin/Martiki
Tiki-Kate
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-02-18 8:19 pm   Permalink

Martin,

Although I'm an out-of-towner who has only visited Forbidden Island twice, this seems like such a loss to me because I feel like I went through this long and amazing process with you, albeit from a great distance. Back in 2005 when it was announced that you had become a bartender at Trader Vic's, everyone watched in fascination as you honed your craft and learned how to operate a first class establishment. You did this the right way. If more bar owners were to put in that sort of effort and research, Forbidden Island may not be the rare gem that it is and would find itself in far better company.

Thank you for reminding us all that what truly matters in life is to follow your passion and to do what you love.

View Profile of Tiki-Kate Send a personal message to Tiki-Kate  Goto the website of Tiki-Kate     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
martiki
Official Mixologist

Posted: 2009-02-18 8:35 pm   Permalink

I just want to pop in here for a second to say how touched I am by all the responses and kind words. Thank you all so much. I will of course keep everyone here posted about the future, and respond to everyone when I get a little more time.

MAHALO!!!!!

View Profile of martiki Send a personal message to martiki  Email martiki Goto the website of martiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trad'r Bill
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-02-18 8:37 pm   Permalink

Martin - thanks for the great times - missed our chance to share slug stories... what about SC as a landing spot?

View Profile of Trad'r Bill Send a personal message to Trad'r Bill  Email Trad'r Bill     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Otto
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2009-02-18 10:05 pm   Permalink

Martin, thanks for creating the wonderful destination that Forbidden Island has been. I am sure that we have not seen the last of you at Tiki events (Tiki Oasis 9, hint, hint) and at your future project.

You have brought much happiness to the Tiki community and we will all continue to support whatever you do in the future.

Cheers!

View Profile of Otto Send a personal message to Otto  Email Otto Goto the website of Otto     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Lake Surfer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-02-18 11:09 pm   Permalink

Martin, thanks for your huge contributions to the tiki community.

Your love for tiki culture shines through in everything you do, with a unique passion.

I wish you all the best in your new journey.

Rebecca, thanks for sharing your husband with us and supporting his dreams.

Hope to see you both in San Diego this summer and to raise a toast in your honor for all you have done for us!

View Profile of Lake Surfer Send a personal message to Lake Surfer      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VampiressRN
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2009-02-19 06:10 am   Permalink

You will truly be missed. Wishing you the best for the next Tiki endeavour.

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Gnomon
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-02-19 09:42 am   Permalink

I couldn't believe it when I heard the great news!

Does that mean you're now available to come to Washington and lead the Tiki revival?

It was a great luxury having a master mixologist of your calibre in our midst. I hope we don't lose contact when you embark on your next adventure. I'll be raising one tonight in your honor...just before I down it. Drink up me hardies!Yo ho!

View Profile of The Gnomon Send a personal message to The Gnomon      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pablus
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-02-19 10:00 am   Permalink

sigh

http://www.crazedmugs.com/FI%20raw.mp3

View Profile of pablus Send a personal message to pablus  Email pablus Goto the website of pablus     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TofuJoe
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-02-19 11:11 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-02-19 10:00, pablus wrote:
sigh

Pablus. That is simply beautiful.

View Profile of TofuJoe Send a personal message to TofuJoe  Goto the website of TofuJoe     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tiki leki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-02-19 11:27 am   Permalink

Martin , I only met you once at last years Tiki Oasis , and your knowledge of Rum's and combinations of just the right ones to use in cocktails is simply amazing. I'm sure you'll be missed at Forbidden Island. Consider a change of venue; you did wonders for No.Cal. Come down south where it's warm. San Diego needs you and your vision of what a serious cocktail is. All the best!!

View Profile of tiki leki Send a personal message to tiki leki  Email tiki leki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
retrodiva
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-02-19 1:50 pm   Permalink

Quote:

sigh

Oh man I had remained on an even emotional keel through all the posts until I listened to this. Wonderful and so poignant.

View Profile of retrodiva Send a personal message to retrodiva  Goto the website of retrodiva ICQ status     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
dangergirl299
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2009-02-19 3:12 pm   Permalink

I am stunned by the news and don't know what to say that hasn't been said already.
It was a wonderful experience seing the love child of the Novato Grotto and the Conga Lounge grow into the tiki bar of our dreams. I for one was greatly inspired by the ambiance and took notes on what to do for when I decorated my Hidden Tiki Lounge.
I will continue to enjoy the wonder that is FI and also look forward to Martin's next project.

View Profile of dangergirl299 Send a personal message to dangergirl299  Email dangergirl299 Goto the website of dangergirl299     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Buster
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-02-19 4:09 pm   Permalink

I'm with you on that one Retrodiva.

View Profile of Buster Send a personal message to Buster      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trad'r Bill
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-02-19 5:31 pm   Permalink

Quote:

sigh

...talk about lump in the throat

Trad'r Bill

View Profile of Trad'r Bill Send a personal message to Trad'r Bill  Email Trad'r Bill     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Formikahini
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-02-19 7:54 pm   Permalink

Ohhhhhh.....

I feel like Martin's view of what a tiki bar should be was MY view - that he'd looked through my eyeballs and built what I was envisioning.

I'm so happy to know FI will continue, but it will not be the same for me. And Martin, you weren't even there the one night I got to go! But you made sure I was treated so amazingly well that I felt your presence the whole time.

I will tell myself that he is going on to create something that wonderful elsewhere - like 10 minutes from MY house....
That would ease my hurt.
Painkiller style.
Ooh, yeah.

F

View Profile of Formikahini Send a personal message to Formikahini  Email Formikahini     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation