FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki An open letter to Tiki Central from Martin/Martiki
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
An open letter to Tiki Central from Martin/Martiki
Basement Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-02-19 10:33 pm   Permalink

Dammit, Martin. I wanted YOU to mix my drink there. I know you and trust you. And important stuff like that can't be left in just any hands. Too much lime and I start pulling my warclubs off the wall and getting rowdy. I wish you the best, braddah. You pulled off a very, very authentic experience of a tiki bar there. You have to be proud of that. Aloha.
Member #490

View Profile of Basement Kahuna Send a personal message to Basement Kahuna  Email Basement Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
fez monkey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-02-19 11:33 pm   Permalink

Martin,

Good fortune to you whichever beach your raft washes up on.

It's always great to watch someone with an infectious passion doing what they love to do.

-SV

View Profile of fez monkey Send a personal message to fez monkey  Email fez monkey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Limbo Lizard
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-02-20 08:11 am   Permalink

We can hope that Martin will go on to create another masterpiece,... then another, and another - the Johnny Appleseed of the tiki lounge.

View Profile of Limbo Lizard Send a personal message to Limbo Lizard      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Pepe le Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-02-20 10:10 am   Permalink

Best of luck to you Martin and thanks for keeping the true art of bartending alive!!! I still hope I'll be able to experience your cocktail wizardry some day soon!!!

View Profile of Pepe le Tiki Send a personal message to Pepe le Tiki  Goto the website of Pepe le Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Royale
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-02-20 7:28 pm   Permalink

Oh dear. Even though I'm reading this while watching the sun set over Wiakiki, it's still a buzz-kill.
Even as a "minority partner" I have no doubt that it was your passion, vision and dedication that has made Forbidden Island what it is today. Mahalo Nui Loa Martin!
I look forward to keeping in touch with you and sharing another Sidewinder Fang in the near future.
Aloha,

View Profile of Tiki Royale Send a personal message to Tiki Royale  Email Tiki Royale     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
chiwito
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-02-21 10:45 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-02-18 06:50, monet2u wrote:
I also hope this is the last we see of the great Martin and his mad mixing skills! !

I certainly hope that the above is a typo. Of course, like all FI regulars [well, semi-regulars; I'm not on the wall of immortals or anything like that] I will greatly miss Martin but look forward to dividing my drinking time between the still-great FI and whatever new project strikes Martin's fancy.

chiwito

View Profile of chiwito Send a personal message to chiwito  Email chiwito     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
midnite
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-02-22 12:35 am   Permalink

Tiki expert Martin Cate leaves Forbidden Island

Is there tiki trouble in Alameda?

"Martin Cate, whose modern revival of tiki drinks at Forbidden Island (1304 Lincoln Ave., Alameda) made him one of The Chronicle's Bar Stars last year, has sold his share of the business. Cate says he and his partners, who also own the Conga Lounge in Oakland, "just had different ideas about how to go forward with the business."
..."

Bad News, Like Socks, Come In Threes

Hell of a week,
midnite

PS HELL of a week.

View Profile of midnite Send a personal message to midnite      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikivixen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-02-22 3:13 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-02-19 10:00, pablus wrote:
sigh

http://www.crazedmugs.com/FI%20raw.mp3

This is sooo beautiful!!!

[ This Message was edited by: tikivixen 2009-02-22 15:14 ]

View Profile of tikivixen Send a personal message to tikivixen      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mrsmiley
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2009-02-22 10:55 pm   Permalink

My silly comment doesn't seem so funny now. TOO soon-I can't joke about it yet.
If you like it, it is ZAZZ! If you don't it is RAZZ!

View Profile of mrsmiley Send a personal message to mrsmiley  Email mrsmiley Goto the website of mrsmiley     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
monet2u
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-02-23 1:49 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-02-21 22:45, chiwito wrote:
Quote:

On 2009-02-18 06:50, monet2u wrote:
I also hope this is the last we see of the great Martin and his mad mixing skills! !

I certainly hope that the above is a typo. Of course, like all FI regulars [well, semi-regulars; I'm not on the wall of immortals or anything like that] I will greatly miss Martin but look forward to dividing my drinking time between the still-great FI and whatever new project strikes Martin's fancy.

chiwito

oh my, indeed it was a typo!! I've still got plenty of love to share for FI and Martin where ever he goes, I'll follow. I'm always in need of a tasty libation!

[ This Message was edited by: monet2u 2009-02-23 13:52 ]

View Profile of monet2u Send a personal message to monet2u      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thejab

Posted: 2009-02-23 2:32 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-02-18 19:36, Coco Loco wrote: So as long as the drink standards remain strong and the usual dj's are there, we will continue to support it.

I couldn't agree more, drink quality is the most important thing to me! And thanks for mentioning the DJs!

View Profile of thejab Send a personal message to thejab  Goto the website of thejab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thejab

Posted: 2009-02-23 2:32 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-02-18 19:36, Coco Loco wrote: So as long as the drink standards remain strong and the usual dj's are there, we will continue to support it.

I couldn't agree more, drink quality is the most important thing to me! And thanks for mentioning the DJs!

View Profile of thejab Send a personal message to thejab  Goto the website of thejab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ted tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-02-23 3:54 pm   Permalink

Only been there once and I made two others come with me. They were non-believers before then....now they get it. Thanks for making a visit out to Alameda truly great. Red carpet treatment all the way. Best of luck with what comes next..

View Profile of ted tiki Send a personal message to ted tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mr. Aloha
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-02-23 4:05 pm   Permalink

Aloha Martin:

You have spoiled many of us drinkers with your high quality (and great tasting) cocktails. I look forward to your next venture, so please keep us in the loop. All the best to you going forward.

Brian and Lisa

View Profile of Mr. Aloha Send a personal message to Mr. Aloha  Email Mr. Aloha     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tiki-smith
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-03-01 09:22 am   Permalink

Thank you for your hard work and dedication. I live in Los Angeles, and have only been able to get up to FI once so far. I wear my FI shirt proudly and recommend it warmly to all. The drinks were by far the best I've had, and I've been to many tiki bars. I hope the place doesn't change too much without you.

Mucho Mahalo to you, please let us know what you're up to next.
The Tiki Smith

View Profile of tiki-smith Send a personal message to tiki-smith  Goto the website of tiki-smith     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation