FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums ╗ ╗ Tiki Events ╗ ╗ California Events ╗ ╗ Save The Tonga Room Event March 6th
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Save The Tonga Room Event March 6th
retrodiva
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-03-01 06:32 am   Permalink

Hi All! I'm not sure if anyone else has posted this yet or not. I tried searching for it but could not find it. They are going early from 5 - 7 so maybe we should overlap them and go until about 9 pm? I don't think it can hurt. I'm trying to get that night off from FI so I can go too, but even if I don't please do go and try to help save the Tonga Room.

Here's what was forwarded to me from a facebook post:

Host: I Love San Francisco
Type: Party - Cocktail Party
Network: Global
Date: Friday, March 6, 2009
Time: 5:00pm - 7:00pm
Street: 950 Mason
City/Town: San Francisco, CA

--------------------
Subject: Friday March 6

Our group has over 800 members in 3 days, all through word of mouth. Keeping spreading the news!

As you can see from the posts, people are calling for an evening at the Tonga Room next Friday, March 6. Jed Lane has set up an event here
http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=53690287642#/event.php?eid=53690287642

It's a tough time economically, so the best way to convince the Fairmont to keep the Tonga Room is to show up, spend money, and make it a smart business decision to keep it in place.

And keep posting your memories of the Tonga Room that we can share with the powers that be!

View Profile of retrodiva Send a personal message to retrodiva  Goto the website of retrodiva ICQ status     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Haole'akamai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-01 08:04 am   Permalink

Mahalo for posting this! TofuJoe & I will put it on the calendar.

View Profile of Haole'akamai Send a personal message to Haole'akamai      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unga Bunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-01 08:58 am   Permalink

Great news and I wish (and thank) the group the best.
800 people? Even if half show, it's hard enough to get a drink on the Tiki Central bar crawl.
Still waiting for someone to organize a "Tiki Central Save The Tonga" event.

View Profile of Unga Bunga Send a personal message to Unga Bunga      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
dangergirl299
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2009-03-01 6:40 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-03-01 08:58, Unga Bunga wrote:

How about we organize a monthly TC event at the Tonga Room? Like the 2nd or 3rd Weds or Friday?

View Profile of dangergirl299 Send a personal message to dangergirl299  Email dangergirl299 Goto the website of dangergirl299     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ZeroTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-01 6:48 pm   Permalink

ooo! Sounds like a good idea
to me...

~Zero

View Profile of ZeroTiki Send a personal message to ZeroTiki  Email ZeroTiki Goto the website of ZeroTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
retrodiva
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-03-02 09:37 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-03-01 08:04, Haole'akamai wrote:
Mahalo for posting this! TofuJoe & I will put it on the calendar.

I'm excited I just got Friday off so we'll be there too. Not sure if we can make it by 5 pm but we'll try.

View Profile of retrodiva Send a personal message to retrodiva  Goto the website of retrodiva ICQ status     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
retrodiva
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-03-02 09:45 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-03-01 18:40, dangergirl299 wrote:
Quote:

How about we organize a monthly TC event at the Tonga Room? Like the 2nd or 3rd Weds or Friday?

How about a Thursday night for us poor folks that work at Forbidden Island On Wed. and Fri. Besides there's already a weekly TC night at FI on Wed. nights. )

Kālai Waʻa
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-03-02 2:50 pm   Permalink

Why is this so early? 5PM is not real practical for most people that work and need to drive/park to get there.

But we'll see what we can do!

View Profile of Kālai Waʻa Send a personal message to Kālai Waʻa  Goto the website of Kālai Waʻa     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Haole'akamai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-02 3:06 pm   Permalink

I think it's five because that is when the Happy Hour starts, with buffet and (I think?) drink specials.

View Profile of Haole'akamai Send a personal message to Haole'akamai      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chief Bartender
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-02 3:40 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-03-02 09:45, retrodiva wrote:
Quote:

On 2009-03-01 18:40, dangergirl299 wrote:
Quote:

How about a Thursday night for us poor folks that work at Forbidden Island On Wed. and Fri. Besides there's already a weekly TC night at FI on Wed. nights. )

Or a Saturday night for those of us in the wilds of Sacramento and other faraway places?

View Profile of Chief Bartender Send a personal message to Chief Bartender  Email Chief Bartender     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kolohe
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-03-02 8:02 pm   Permalink

I wish I could make it. But I don't get off of work until 5 p.m.

View Profile of Kolohe Send a personal message to Kolohe      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
CucamongaChango
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-03 01:15 am   Permalink

I'll be in Oakland taking the CBEST that afternoon... wouldn't be too much of a stretch to stop over in SF on the way back up to Santa Rosa.

View Profile of CucamongaChango Send a personal message to CucamongaChango      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
retrodiva
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-03-03 10:06 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-03-02 14:50, KÔlai Waʻa wrote:

Why is this so early? 5PM is not real practical for most people that work and need to drive/park to get there.

A friend pointed out that they, at least used to, charge an entertainment charge after 7 pm. So that might be why it's so early. I think if our TC group gets there by 6:30 we can keep the party going until 9 or so.

retrodiva
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-03-04 07:06 am   Permalink

Hello,

This is from the Save The Tonga Room event page on Facebook about organization of Friday's event. I'm going to try to get there around 5 pm, when it opens. But I stress that I don't think people should not come even if they can't get there by 7 pm. I doubt that everyone will be getting there that early so the party should still be going.

All,

Patrice Mackey (Eugene, OR) wroteon March 2, 2009 at 12:00pm

Well, as word of this Friday's event has spread amongst a number of communities (both online and analog), the concept of trying to "Organize" it has somewhat fallen by the wayside. There may be too many groups to try and keep one central organizing committee for all of them.

HOWEVER, there are some ideas and guidelines that some of the instigators would like to share with folks planning on coming out and show their support for the Tonga:

1) Respect the Farimont/Tonga Staff & Premises.

Hey, this is a show of SUPPORT, not a protest, per se. If we want the powers to bend to our will, it'll be a lot better if we are respectful and show them our LOVE for the Tonga Room and it's environs. To that end, please don't block the entrances or disrupt the access of Hotel Guests or Staff as much as possible during the event.

2) Ya gotta Wear the Flair
Hey, how are they going to know you aren't just another tourist? By your Tiki Wear! Be it classic Navy Whites, Colorful Tropical Shirts, Leis, Pith Helmets, Straw Hats, or whatever...this should be a celebration of all things Tiki!

3) A few signs would be nice.
Let folks know why you are there! But remember to keep it clean....nothing ruins a good news photo op like a sign they can't show on the 6 O'clock news.

4) Gathering Location:

Folks will be gathering beginning at 4:00 PM at Huntington Park, 1 Block West of the Fairmont until just before 5:00 PM when the Tonga Room Opens and then walk down en masse to the California Side Entrance to the Tonga Room. This should allow for some nice photo ops both before and during the brief march down to the Tonga Room.

5) Patience.
Ya know, it might get a wee bit crowded in the Tonga Room on Friday. Please be prepared to wait, or even visit one of the other venues at the Fairmont before getting inside. And again, be polite with the staff, management and guests.

6) Have fun!

thejab
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2009-03-04 11:01 am   Permalink

Here's what I wrote on Facebook regarding the Friday gathering. Let me know your thoughts.

In my humble opinion, it is not a good idea to do this event on a Friday. I'm sure they are always plenty busy on Fridays for Happy Hour, and a huge crowd descending on them will just piss them off. The staff is usually grumpy anyway, if not downright rude. I have been involved in many of the annual Tiki Crawls (at least 5 or 6) when we showed up en masse (calling them ahead does no good, they will not try and make special accomodations), and they were not happy with us.

Do our cause a favor and reschedule this for a slower day, like Sunday or Wednesday (they are closed Mon and Tues). I think they open at 4:00 on Sunday.

View Profile of thejab Send a personal message to thejab  Goto the website of thejab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation