FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Events » » California Events » » Save The Tonga Room Event March 6th
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Save The Tonga Room Event March 6th
retrodiva
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-03-04 1:01 pm   Permalink

Regarding what The Jab wrote, I do agree, but what I can tell you from working in a bar, that no matter how pissed off the staff and managers might be about a particularly busy night the only people who really matter are the ones looking at the numbers. So we might piss the staff off, but we will probably make the money people think twice.

That being said...I think we should do this right and at least one Thursday a month go there for a TC night. I'm open most Thursdays and would be happy to spur this on as long as someone else is willing to take the reigns if there is a month I can't make it.
a
One reason for going early is that they have happy hour from 5 - 7 pm. But I think to really get a good group we need to make it from 7 pm - onwards.

We could shoot for the 1st Thursday of the month so as not to conflict with any of Jab's dj gigs at FI. That would make our first meet on April 2nd and give the Tonga some time to recover from this Friday. In case they are pissed off. What does everyone think about the 2nd?

There are several groups researching what is involved with getting it listed as a historic landmark but so far what they've found is that the laws only cover the outside of a building. So truly I believe the only way they are going to sit up and take notice is if the Tonga starts making money.

View Profile of retrodiva Send a personal message to retrodiva  Goto the website of retrodiva ICQ status     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unga Bunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-04 1:02 pm   Permalink

If somebody told them (I'm sure they already did)that 800 people are going to show up with signs and protest, I wouldn't be surprised if they shut it down on Thursday.

View Profile of Unga Bunga Send a personal message to Unga Bunga      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
1961surf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-06 1:12 pm   Permalink

If I lived closer I would be all over this.I have been there many times and
this is a great place.Another historic tiki temple in jeopardy .There will
be nothing left soon for the next generation to enjoy.Truly a sad day.

View Profile of 1961surf Send a personal message to 1961surf  Email 1961surf Goto the website of 1961surf     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thejab
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2009-03-06 2:38 pm   Permalink

Who wants to go this Sunday around 5:00? I'm sure they will need the business then. I can make it on April 2nd, but I don't want to wait that long. I need a reminder of what we're fighting for; surely not for the drinks!

View Profile of thejab Send a personal message to thejab  Goto the website of thejab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JenTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-06 3:16 pm   Permalink

I could make it Sunday around 6:00. I've got something else in the city until 5:30 in Potrero Hill area.

View Profile of JenTiki Send a personal message to JenTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
LuvTiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-03-06 6:18 pm   Permalink

I agree with the folks who suggest we spread out the support, rather than stage a single event. I was there on a Saturday about a month ago and the place was packed. We could not get a dinner reservation -- had to eat in the bar. It is still a popular place, but it can't hurt to make it even more popular!!

FYI re the entertainment charge -- If you are there when the music starts, they will add the entertainment charge to your bill.

I am prepared to chain myself to the tonga room if they are serious about shutting it down.

View Profile of LuvTiki Send a personal message to LuvTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikitonga
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2009-03-06 6:25 pm   Permalink

I'm hoping someone posts pics. I'd love to see what the turnout was!

View Profile of tikitonga Send a personal message to tikitonga  Email tikitonga     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Haole'akamai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-07 2:26 pm   Permalink

I saw it on CBS News!

(you'll have to sit through a commercial to see it, though)

View Profile of Haole'akamai Send a personal message to Haole'akamai      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unga Bunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-08 03:11 am   Permalink

My God Haole'akamai,
After watching that video, I would also say, Close the mother down!
The reporter didn't even want to be there.
Damn glad I wasn't.

View Profile of Unga Bunga Send a personal message to Unga Bunga      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
leleliz
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-08 1:14 pm   Permalink

That was a pretty great turnout-the power of cyberspace for sure.

On a side note that reporter is pretty much the absolute worst. How is she allowed on tv???

View Profile of leleliz Send a personal message to leleliz      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Haole'akamai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-08 2:55 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-03-08 13:14, leleliz wrote:

On a side note that reporter is pretty much the absolute worst. How is she allowed on tv???

No kidding! Linda Yee is one of the worst field reporters (the only one I dislike more is Vic Lee - he's a complete troll) in the Bay Area, and we're a MAJOR MARKET. Her eyes are always looking in two different direction, neither is into the camera. She creeps me out.

Plus, do we know that one guy in the crazy-ass checkered visor (Uh, the 80s band Madness called and they want their wardrobe back!) they interviewed in line who, when asked what his wildest memory of the Tonga was, answered "DRRUUUUUUUUUNNNNNK."?! He's the same one earlier in the video who's seen whooping like he's in line for the keg at a frat party. Nice! Way to represent....

View Profile of Haole'akamai Send a personal message to Haole'akamai      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
leleliz
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-08 3:04 pm   Permalink

When you are trying to do something with a purpose--like saving a landmark-its always good to know WHY what you are trying to do is important.

I would think that the checkered visor guy would feel like an ass when he saw himself on the news later...but I think that is expecting too much!!

View Profile of leleliz Send a personal message to leleliz      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Norcal_Kahuna
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-03-10 11:00 am   Permalink

PRESS RELEASE

SAVE THE TONGA ROOM RALLY AT SMUGGLER’S COVE SAN FRANCSICO
650 Gough Street (at McAllister), San Francisco, California
Tuesday, March 23rd, 2010 from 5:00 until 7-ish

SAN FRANCISCO, CA - To all concerned San Franciscans, Tiki freaks, Dionysians and Sybarites, midcentury fans, and rum aficionados; come one and come all to a gathering at Smuggler’s Cove (650 Gough St. San Francisco, CA 94102) on Tuesday, March 23rd, 2010 starting at 5:00PM to sign a petition opposing the demolition of the Tonga Room to make way for a parking garage and yet more luxury condominiums. After you sign the petition, stay a while and enjoy a fantastic rum cocktail or two while you mix and mingle with like-minded people and listen to Exotica under the soft glow of Tiki torches and beachcomber lamps. Around 6:00 PM, Chris VerPlanck and Erica Schultz of S.O.S. Tonga will provide a brief update on efforts to save the Tonga Room and exhort you to contact your local supervisors and the president of the Historic Preservation Commission, urging them to designate the Tonga Room as a local San Francisco Landmark. Mahalo!

For more information, contact Chris VerPlanck at
cvp73@yahoo.com

View Profile of Norcal_Kahuna Send a personal message to Norcal_Kahuna  Email Norcal_Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiyaki
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2010-03-10 11:04 am   Permalink

Is there an online petition for us out of towners ?

View Profile of tikiyaki Send a personal message to tikiyaki  Email tikiyaki Goto the website of tikiyaki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JenTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-10 11:14 am   Permalink

Are the organizers of the event aware that Smuggler's Cove only holds 49 people and that only 1/3 of those people will be within earshot at any given time? As much as I think giving business to Smuggler's Cove is a good idea in most cases, I can't imagine this is the best venue choice for a rally. 49 get in, 49 more stand outside bitching about not getting in.

View Profile of JenTiki Send a personal message to JenTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation