FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Events Other Events UK TIKI MUGS Book Launch 10 March Ltd. Edition Mug
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
UK TIKI MUGS Book Launch 10 March Ltd. Edition Mug
POCKETIKI
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-03 3:21 pm   Permalink

Cutting this a bit fine but here's a post to let you know that there is a 'TIKI MUGS - Artifacts of Polynesian Pop' Book Launch at Trader Vic's on the 10th March...NEXT TUESDAY!

It's taken a bit of work to get this up and running but it will be a hoot, so be there and reap the rewards!

We are so pleased to have been associated with this book as it has turned out to be a great showcase for tiki mugs, their collectors and tiki mug artists who are keeping the whole tiki revival fresh and exciting! Keep up the GREAT work folks! For those of you who haven't been able to browse the book yet...NOW's your chance...Come on down!!

Below is a mock-up of the Limited Edition Moai Mug we've produced especially for the TIKI MUGS UK Book Launch.

We wanted to come up with something that had a definite BRITIKI feel to it and hope we have achieved that. The Book Launch as you already know is to be held at TRADER VIC'S in London, now the oldest of the Trader Vic's worldwide, so it seems fitting that the mug we chose comes from a vintage 1963 DUNCAN mold...the exact same year that our Trader Vic's opened it's doors to International Jetsetters and Cockney herberts alike. Uncanny eh?

The glazes we have chosen are the super cool satin black and Tiki Racer's 'Zombie' green as used on the MAHIKI mugs of the same name. The moai connection is way cool as the most impressive tiki artifact that we have in London is the moai in the BRITISH MUSEUM - HOA HAKANANAI'A. Acquired in 1868, this beautiful 4 ton moai is the pride and joy of BRITIKI and a meeting point for all oversees tiki visitors who come by to say aloha.

It doesn't hurt either that moai mug designs are our favo(u)rites here at POCKETIKI, as is shown in the first mug picture in the book (a small selection of our moai mugs). Below is Yak (the book's designer) organising the mugs ready for the shot.

All in all, we think this mug fits the bill. Hope you like it.

The mug will be limited to ONLY 30 as we do not have time to produce more than that! About 20 are bisqued right now, the decals for the back have been ordered (the mugs won't have a piece of paper stuck on the back as in the picture...honest guv'!) and the glazes are mixed, ready and waiting at CHEEKYTIKI (who else?!). They will ONLY BE AVAILABLE ON THE NIGHT, so no starting a list or any such nonsense...just BE THERE!

Not only will you be able to purchase the book and the mug on the night but also there will be a raffle where you will have the chance to WIN other tiki mugs donated by CHEEKYTIKI, POCKETIKI, TIKI RACER, HOTROD TIKI and TRADER VIC'S! If anyone else want's to donate a mug or two let us know...the more the merrier!

A big thanks to Dusan at Trader Vic's for letting us hold the book launch at such a prestigous location! If you are going to attend, pop along to Yak's MySpace and fill in the RSVP so we can get an idea of numbers. Thanks.

Make mine a Mai-Tai at Trader Vic's next Tuesday! Trader Jim.

[ This Message was edited by: pocketiki 2009-03-05 12:34 ]

View Profile of POCKETIKI Send a personal message to POCKETIKI  Email POCKETIKI Goto the website of POCKETIKI     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
OceaOtica
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-03 3:46 pm   Permalink

Sounds like a grand time, cheers from across the sea!

View Profile of OceaOtica Send a personal message to OceaOtica  Email OceaOtica Goto the website of OceaOtica     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
POCKETIKI
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-03 4:30 pm   Permalink

THANKS OceaOtica! We'll raise a mug to you and your great tiki mugs my friend!!

Make mine a Mai-Tai! Trader Jim.

View Profile of POCKETIKI Send a personal message to POCKETIKI  Email POCKETIKI Goto the website of POCKETIKI     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TravelingJones
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2009-03-03 7:28 pm   Permalink

ALoooHA Trader Jim! Great to hear you pipe in, Sir!

WOW! you fella's in the UK have got the FULL ON tiki action happening non-stop in Fogtown these days! If it's not opening yet another fine Cheekytiki-Racer establishment, then it's throwing hedonistic exotica souriee'z like this 'TIKI MUGS' by Jay Strongman, book launch!

Too cool for school...I wish "J" was for Jetsetter, but that's not to be these days. I would zip out to Cali for a good mugging on the 7th and then kick it into reverse, crossing da pond and party with Britikish Royalty!!!

Have the best of times and I await with baited breathe for the next issue of POCKETIKI!

View Profile of TravelingJones Send a personal message to TravelingJones      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
atomictonytiki
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2009-03-04 01:19 am   Permalink

Count me in, I'll see you on Tuesday and I'll bring a retired Blue Hold-Fast to chuck in the raffle pot.

View Profile of atomictonytiki Send a personal message to atomictonytiki  Goto the website of atomictonytiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiracer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-04 02:14 am   Permalink

I'll be there - with an artist proof [one off colourway] mug for the raffle. Plus a case of goodies for show and tell. Will post some sneaky pics soon...

Atomic - It will be great to catchup again, we can talk more about HP.

Thanks to Trader Jim at Pocketiki for sorting out this Britiki do.

Devil Reef Bar Blog
http://www.devilreef.com

View Profile of tikiracer Send a personal message to tikiracer  Goto the website of tikiracer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
virani
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-04 10:23 am   Permalink

damn, I can't come ! Have fun, my friends. Man, this mug looks great, bravo.

View Profile of virani Send a personal message to virani  Goto the website of virani     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
POCKETIKI
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-04 12:21 pm   Permalink

Thanks for the comments guys! It is a shame that my overseas tiki chums can't come and play but I guess we'll just have to pretend we're having fun anyway? It'll be a long while before we can ever think of another trip to the US so feel free to drop in when you can!

Just a quick update...

I spoke to the Decal makers today asking if they had mailed the decals to CHEEKYTIKI yet, to which they replied...I don't know? DOH! It seems they haven't, so I've been promised that they will go out special delivery tomorrow. THEY'D RUDDY WELL BETTER!!! Man that letter box Anjy and batten down the hatches!!!

I've had a chat with Dusan the manager of Trader Vic's and he has kindly offered a HALF-PRICE MAI-TAI to anyone presenting, at the bar, the special voucher that comes with the purchase of the Limited Edition Tiki Mug(damn another job to do!).

Looking forward to seeing Tiki Racer's swag bag! AtomicTonyTiki, we can get the photo of you and the good ol' capt'n for the POCKETIKI article while you are down this part of the world too!

Watch this space for further hairy scary...don't tell Mary...escapades!

Trader Jim - Make mine a Mai-Tai!

OceaOtica
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-04 12:27 pm   Permalink

oops

[ This Message was edited by: oceaotica 2009-03-04 12:31 ]

View Profile of OceaOtica Send a personal message to OceaOtica  Email OceaOtica Goto the website of OceaOtica     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
croe67
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-04 1:12 pm   Permalink

Sounds like a GRAND time!! Sorry to be missing it by just a few weeks, but hoping to see you all soon!

View Profile of croe67 Send a personal message to croe67  Email croe67     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
POCKETIKI
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-04 1:22 pm   Permalink

We'll be sorry to have missed you too, but at least we'll have another good reason to get back to TTRADER VIC'S! Like you really need a good reason! Looking forward to your visit. Give good notice and we'll get a BRITIKI welcoming party ready! Toodle Pip!

Take care! Trader Jim - Make mine a Mai-Tai!

Kon-Tiki Viking
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-03-04 4:22 pm   Permalink

Sounds like it's going to be a great evening....really wish I could get back there to have a drink or three with you guys at good old Trader Vics (I miss their killer Samoan Fogcutters). So glad to see Britain flying the Tiki flag so strongly...the Book Launch mug looks amazing..congratulations !!!
Best Wishes From So. Cal, Jay.

View Profile of Kon-Tiki Viking Send a personal message to Kon-Tiki Viking      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TIKIWAGON
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2009-03-05 12:09 pm   Permalink

We will be there. Will come straight from work and taking the day off Wednesday, as it's a long drive home!! Looking forward to catching up with everyone again, seems ages ago we we're at TV last!! Should be a good night!

[ This Message was edited by: tikiwagon 2009-03-05 12:27 ]

[ This Message was edited by: TIKIWAGON 2009-03-05 12:29 ]

View Profile of TIKIWAGON Send a personal message to TIKIWAGON  Email TIKIWAGON Goto the website of TIKIWAGON     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
POCKETIKI
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-05 12:54 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-03-04 16:22, Kon-Tiki Viking wrote:
Sounds like it's going to be a great evening....really wish I could get back there to have a drink or three with you guys at good old Trader Vics (I miss their killer Samoan Fogcutters). So glad to see Britain flying the Tiki flag so strongly...the Book Launch mug looks amazing..congratulations !!!
Best Wishes From So. Cal, Jay.

Hey Jay good to here from you! We are doing our best to keep the British end up ol' boy...Oooh Eeer missus! Glad you like the mug, although the credit should go to Mr. DUNCAN for his fantastic 1963 mold and the guys at CHEEKYTIKI (especially my much better half SIAN!) who somehow have managed to squeeze this one into their incredibly busy schedule...THANKS GUYS!! I got the easy job giving out the instructions while they are orchestrating the whole shebang! SIAN should be back in an hour or so and I'll find out how hot these mugs will be on the night. If you are planning to purchase one bring your own oven gloves!!

Great news that the HOTROD TIKIs are gonna tool up the M3 to the BIG SMOKE too! The whole evening seems to be getting better and better!!

I just finished the artwork for the HALF-PRICE MAI-TAI voucher which will double up as a bookmark when it has been redeemed. Neat trick or what! Catch you later.

Trader Jim - Make mine a Mai-Tai!

54 house of bamboo
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2009-03-06 10:21 am   Permalink

Hi everyone...

We'll be on the train from Cambridge... looking forward to seeing you all.

tikiwagon is right, it's been far too long since we all saw each other.

The Stevenson Wedding Mug by Cheekytiki, 2006

View Profile of 54 house of bamboo Send a personal message to 54 house of bamboo      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation