FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Chinese restaurants that serve tiki drinks in Los Angeles?
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page ) Remove Highlighting
Chinese restaurants that serve tiki drinks in Los Angeles?
mattesq
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-03-11 2:01 pm   Permalink

I was recently at the Twin Dragon, an old school chinese place on Pico, and was surprised by their non-traditional (red) but pretty decent tasting mai tai. The menu also offers a zombie, navy grog, and a pina colada (served in a coconut mug). The place has been stripped of any interesting decor, but there is a nice fish tank behind the bar that runs the length of the wall to lend a bit of ambiance.

I also drove by Fu's Palace which is right down the street on Pico boasting a nice A-frame entrance. Some quick research revealed a thread here on the place, which was formerly a tiki establishment known as Wan Q. Apparently, they still serve tiki drinks as well, and I am excited to give the place a try soon.

Seeing these places got me interested in discovering other Chinese/tiki crossover places. Good Luck Bar in Silverlake isn't a restaurant, but has an extensive tropical drink menu and some spectacular faux vintage Chinese style decorations, so I would put that in the category as well.

Is anyone aware of any other Chinese restaurants/bars in the Los Angeles area that serve tiki drinks and perhaps have some interesting retro-style decor?

View Profile of mattesq Send a personal message to mattesq      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hiltiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-11 8:09 pm   Permalink

Not L. A. but Mandarin Tiger in Tarzana has tropical drinks.. They serve all their drinks in tiki mugs and bowls. Not the best drinks but kind of old fashion fun.

View Profile of hiltiki Send a personal message to hiltiki  Goto the website of hiltiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Coco Joe
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-11 10:01 pm   Permalink

There's always Benihana's

View Profile of Coco Joe Send a personal message to Coco Joe  Email Coco Joe Goto the website of Coco Joe     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
squid
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-13 12:50 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-03-11 20:09, hiltiki wrote:
Not L. A. but Mandarin Tiger in Tarzana has tropical drinks.. They serve all their drinks in tiki mugs and bowls. Not the best drinks but kind of old fashion fun.

You're right Hiltiki. Mandarin Tiger rocks. Old school Chinese food with crispy noodles for munching on, lemon-sucker waiters and one hilarious waitress. I'm guessing the bar area MAY have been Tiki at one time. Any idea?

View Profile of squid Send a personal message to squid  Goto the website of squid     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Coco Joe
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-13 01:25 am   Permalink

I have to say we've had a good zombie, mai tai, and scorpion bowl at Hop Louie's in Chinatown

[ This Message was edited by: Coco Joe 2009-03-13 01:26 ]

View Profile of Coco Joe Send a personal message to Coco Joe  Email Coco Joe Goto the website of Coco Joe     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiyaki
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2009-03-13 08:50 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-03-13 01:25, Coco Joe wrote:
I have to say we've had a good zombie, mai tai, and scorpion bowl at Hop Louie's in Chinatown

Maybe so, but just don't eat the food. It is easily the WORST chinese food I've ever had.

View Profile of tikiyaki Send a personal message to tikiyaki  Email tikiyaki Goto the website of tikiyaki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikihai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-13 12:34 pm   Permalink

Not in L.A. but a real cool Chinese restaurant that serves drinks in mugs and bowls is the China Inn...877 Hornblend St in Pacific Beach. The drinks are cheap and cheaper...$4 for a drink served in a mug and $9 for a bowl. Both the food and drinks are well above average. Info from Cammos book.

View Profile of tikihai Send a personal message to tikihai      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiyaki
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2009-03-13 1:51 pm   Permalink

What I look for in a Chinese restaurant :

BLACK tea, not Jasmine

Complimentary crispy won tons (or noodles) and duck sauce and hot mustard on the table...it should arrive with the water.

EGG rolls, not just Spring rolls. There IS a difference.

Red Naugahyde booths.

Tropical Drink Menu

Chinese restaurant done right.

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=11818&forum=2&hilite=Queens

View Profile of tikiyaki Send a personal message to tikiyaki  Email tikiyaki Goto the website of tikiyaki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiauction
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-14 06:17 am   Permalink

the expectation that you'll walk into the local chinese-american lucky dragon restaurant and bar, and get authentic chinese is preposterous. the genre is chinese-american: crab rangoon, pupu platter, scorpion bowls, mai tais. i'll take a gander that most old-school chinese-american restaurants are set up that way! in fact, to take the polynesian bit out is like taking tomato sauce out of italian-american cooking.

i fondly remember the "kong" in cambridge mass aka hong kong bar and restaurant, which my wife absolutely abhors, the manager had like a biker jacket on all the time.

[ This Message was edited by: tikiauction 2009-03-14 06:18 ]

View Profile of tikiauction Send a personal message to tikiauction  Goto the website of tikiauction     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Coco Joe
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-14 09:35 am   Permalink

Has anyone been to Formosa Cafe? I wonder if their Mai Tai's are decent.

http://formosacafe.com/index.html

Bora Boris
Mr. Unreasonable

Posted: 2009-03-14 2:21 pm   Permalink

I went to the Formosa a few months ago with Tiki-Kate and the bartender told us they were known for their Mai Tai, when we told him we had just come the Trader Vic's lounge he said "Oh never mind then they won't be as good as Trader Vic's. he was sincere about it and offered to make us anything else but refused to show me a drink menu no matter how many times I asked (which I think was about 5 times) So we had to guess what he could make for us. It was annoying and exhausting and I'm in no hurry to go back.

View Profile of Bora Boris Send a personal message to Bora Boris      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tiki leki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-03-14 5:16 pm   Permalink

My favorite has to be Chin Chins on Sunset in West Hollywood. No Tiki drinks but the food is fantastic !!

View Profile of tiki leki Send a personal message to tiki leki  Email tiki leki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-14 6:05 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-03-13 01:25, Coco Joe wrote:

I quite like the food at Hop Louie and the lunch special and the decor make for an excellent value.

Across the street, at Golden Dragon, the Boo Loo is served in a ceramic pineapple.

View Profile of christiki295 Send a personal message to christiki295  Email christiki295     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hiltiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-14 6:13 pm   Permalink

Yamashiro is up in the hills in Hollywood, it has a fantastic view of L.A. On a clear day you can see the ocean from the bar. There are a few drinks with light and dark rum in their drink menu, Mai Tai is included. Food is great but a little costly.

View Profile of hiltiki Send a personal message to hiltiki  Goto the website of hiltiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
paranoid123
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-16 2:54 pm   Permalink

I'm just sayin', but you're not going to get ANY true Chinese cuisine west of the 710 in Los Angeles. You won't get any tiki drinks at these restaurants, but the Chinese food will be good.

View Profile of paranoid123 Send a personal message to paranoid123      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation