FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Countdown for LA Trader Vic's
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 Next Page )
Countdown for LA Trader Vic's
Ojaitimo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-26 11:48 am   Permalink

Yep, you're right Jeff. As of today they begin serving lunch.

Last week at LA Live

[ This Message was edited by: Ojaitimo 2009-05-26 12:25 ]

View Profile of Ojaitimo Send a personal message to Ojaitimo  Email Ojaitimo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Coco Joe
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-06 12:43 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-05-02 11:59, Ojaitimo wrote:

looks like fun

View Profile of Coco Joe Send a personal message to Coco Joe  Email Coco Joe Goto the website of Coco Joe     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Coco Joe
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-06 1:21 pm   Permalink

Don't know about you guys but Trader Vic's seems like a great place to spend father's day

View Profile of Coco Joe Send a personal message to Coco Joe  Email Coco Joe Goto the website of Coco Joe     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-21 2:02 pm   Permalink

Excellent photos!
I think I missed half of that when I was there!

BTW, were all of those people waiting in line to go to Trader Vic's?

View Profile of christiki295 Send a personal message to christiki295  Email christiki295     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Ojaitimo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-22 10:36 am   Permalink

Thanks, cool place for photography. The line was for the Grammy Museum or the Nokia Theater at LA Live.
There is an event today at Trader Vic's Monday June 22 from 4pm to 8pm with music and hula dancers. John is also having a Tahitian rum tasting.

View Profile of Ojaitimo Send a personal message to Ojaitimo  Email Ojaitimo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tattoo
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2009-10-13 7:14 pm   Permalink

Went two weeks ago on a Thursday night and... well, apparently they're closing at 10:30pm already. Nobody was in there and they weren't too thrilled to see new customers walk in. Frankly can't see myself going back. Tried to call before we went but it went straight to an answering machine (even though they were open) telling you to check their web site for hours and reservations. Meaning don't call if you want to make a reservation or check to see if they're open. Going to LA live is not the easiest to place to just check out. So if Trader Vic's might be closed and there's no way of checking... I'll pass. A shame. Every other place was open that night since there was an event going on at Staples. Hmmmm... not a good sign when a bar starts closing its doors at 10:30pm.

[ This Message was edited by: Tattoo 2009-10-13 19:17 ]

View Profile of Tattoo Send a personal message to Tattoo  Email Tattoo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tom Slick
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-13 9:06 pm   Permalink

I went Friday evening, and I have to say the place looks great, aesthetically speaking. I was there at 6:30pm and Jasmine our bartendress was real nice and genuine. She recommended the Kung Pao wings as a starter, and they were surprisingly delicious! She made some great drinks as well(not overpowering, but just right!).

I only stopped in because I had an event to attend at Nokia, but I'm glad I decided to check it out. Alot of people here on TC know I have heartburn over the reckless demolishing of BH Trader Vic's, and the way Trader Vic's Corporate seems to have no backbone in trying to keep their businesses and namesake alive. Just look at how many have closed in the past 5 years, yet the TV staff seems "exciteable" to throw warehouse sales filled with failed business decor. It must be easier for Corporate to whore out the name, than to really get involved to make owners and co-owners investments an all around successful venture for both.

Anyhow, let me not get overly negative, because the L.A. location is cozy, and I wish this franchise all the best! I would have no hesitation in being a return guest. I do think that for a Friday Evening that I went, the place was very slow with not one table filled for dinner in the time I was there, which seemed a little alarming. Especially seeing that the Yard House directly around the corner was slammed packed. I hope all is well, and I will share my experience with others. Thank you John and Co. for having people like Jasmine working, and being well trained in the mixing of the drinks. Also, not to forget the cookstaff, who seem to be turning out tasty and well balanced flavorful eats in a consistant manner.

View Profile of Tom Slick Send a personal message to Tom Slick      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TraderJohn
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-10-13 10:35 pm   Permalink

Open 7 days again:

LUNCH: Mon - Fri: 11:00 AM - 3 PM
DINNER: Sun - Thu: 5 PM - 10 PM- Fri - Sat: 5 PM - 12 AM
BAR/LOUNGE: Mon - Thurs 11 AM - Close
Fri - Sat 4 PM - Close

View Profile of TraderJohn Send a personal message to TraderJohn      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-14 03:06 am   Permalink

Hmmm.... I hate to call attention to this, but how many people here actually eat the food at TV on a regular basis? And I mean an actual sit down meal in the dining area. Obviously the bar area is a repeat experience for the drinks, socializing, and decor but what about "let's go to TV for dinner" vs. "let's go to TV for drinks". Most of my friends (non-Tikiphiles), have tried dining at TV once but don't plan on being repeat customers after their first visit.

I think the real problem is the type of cuisine. "Polynesian" food might have been popular during the mid-20th century but we live in a 21st Century Los Angeles where 1st-class authentic Japanese, Chinese, Korean, and Vietnamese food is available. Yeah I know that "fake" ethnic food at places like PF Changs is wildly popular but that's easily branded as Chinese. It's not easy to describe the food at TV. Fusion might be an acceptable concept at a new foodie restaurant in Beverly Hills, but from a chain that has roots in mid-century kitsch?

The overhead of running a restaurant has got to be high, and I question TV's ability to be successful with this model. Maybe TV should just focus on being a bar and offer a limited food menu. Let's face it, we go to TV mainly for the tropical drinks, the food is an after thought.

Another issue I think is TV tries to be too classy and doesn't really emphasize their unique mid-century kitsch appeal. How about really going over the top and becoming something like a "Polynesian Hooters"? TV could still be faithful to its original Tiki Style but you'd have staff along the lines of the Mai Kai Mystery Drink girls. That could be a fun and ironic experience that would appeal to today's younger generation (and at a much lower price point). We'd still be able to get our classic Mai Tais, Navy Grogs, and Zombies. Isn't that all we really need?

Yeah, I know everyone at TC wants to have that classic "frozen in time" TV experience, but it looks like the rest of the mainstream non-Tikiphile world isn't buying it.

TV has the brand and it has the tasty drinks. It'd be a shame for this place to fail as quickly as the Las Vegas location.

[ This Message was edited by: JOHN-O 2009-10-14 08:15 ]

View Profile of JOHN-O Send a personal message to JOHN-O      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tattoo
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2009-10-14 09:06 am   Permalink

I've always enjoyed going to Trader Vic's and will again. Indeed, I mainly go for drinks and their fantastic bar menu. I've had dinner there as well and have to say it was fantastic. Truly grade A cuisine and reasonable prices. The thing is, I specifically went to Trader Vics because I wanted a place that was still serving food past 10pm (not the restaurant menu but the bar menu). Unfortunately that's not the case and I wish someone would've picked up the phone to have told me (before I was faced with having to go to the Yard house). Of course it's silly to keep a bar/restaurant staff around when no-one is there but it's a bit of a Catch-22. Now no-one will be there because the bar/restaurant will have a reputation for closing early. Obviously I went on a Thursday and should've gone on a Fri-Sat. The problem is that now if I mention TV as a bar destination to my wife, she'll not care to go after what happened last time.

We're going to see 'Band of Horses' at the Nokia on Monday the 9th of November. Hopefully we'll have time for dinner at TV before the show. Not sure because of work. At least we'll grab a drink and some Pu Pu's. However, if me and the wife are up for it, I'm sure we would love to grab a drink afterwards. Is it worth staying open just because people might stop by? Not sure.

View Profile of Tattoo Send a personal message to Tattoo  Email Tattoo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Or Got Rum?
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-14 09:36 am   Permalink

Tattoo, As a veteran Manager/Owner Operator of the restaurant/bar biz, I would say your theory is spot on. This has happened to me many times, especially from franchise owners. What they don't understand is the paying public does not give a damn if you have to stay open, pay the staff, and the utilities. If you post hours you better stick to them, because that is the ONLY way you will build any late business. Who knows maybe that is where you can catch a "niche" corner of the ever more competitive market. If it is done by the closing managers whim, you are dead. That also is why many independent owners and corporate core units will "release" any individual who does this. EVERYONE talks about Customer/Guest Service, but how many really practice what they preach? Not as many as they think. THE only reason they are open is because of the Guest. If they can't do it CONSISTENTLY, then go open up an Owl gift shop and close at 5:00! Sorry about the rant, but that is one of my Hot buttons. Thanks for your insight. OGR

View Profile of Or Got Rum? Send a personal message to Or Got Rum?      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chub
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-14 3:49 pm   Permalink

Once they started advertising House music DJ's and Blues bands on Sat. nights they completely lost me. Oh, also the fact that the last time i was there, the manager said Tiki Tuesdays were no more. Goodbye Trader Vics Downtown L.A.

[ This Message was edited by: Chub 2009-10-14 15:50 ]

View Profile of Chub Send a personal message to Chub  Goto the website of Chub     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-14 4:21 pm   Permalink

Guys, you are really a tough crowd. But: We have been over this before here many times: We, the Tikiphiles, are not what keeps a place like this afloat -especially in these tough times. Just ask any Tiki artist out there trying to sell his wares: The Tiki community is not that up in the chips that they can afford dinner at Trader Vic's on a regular basis. (I know I can't. If I could, I would go there more often). And we are not that numerous.

It was very gracious and nice of Trader John to include us, (and seek my advice), in the creation of the place, and in my opinion he did an outstanding job. This is the most authentic and classic Trader Vic's of all the recently built ones. They need to cater to downtown business and Staple Center sports crowd to survive. That spoiled Tiki boy attitude of "They don't play Martin Denny" and "This and that dish/ cocktail is not perfect" will not help anyone.

I am very much looking forward to "Tiki Mugs" book author/ Exotica DJ Jay Strongman's Thursday evenings, Jay knows how to mix the new with the old, and his soundscape will be the perfect accompaniment to a perfectly mixed Trader Vic's cocktail.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Murph
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2009-10-14 5:05 pm   Permalink

Sven,

Well put.

I've enjoyed every trip to the restaurant.

Good luck to John and Trader Vic's LA.

WaikikiWomb

View Profile of Murph Send a personal message to Murph  Email Murph     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Iokona Ki'i
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-14 5:11 pm   Permalink

Amen Sven!
We love going to Trader Vic's LA and will continue
to support them no matter what. They have always
been top notch and very accommodating. Even comping
drinks on occasion. Who else does that?

View Profile of Iokona Ki'i Send a personal message to Iokona Ki'i  Email Iokona Ki'i Goto the website of Iokona Ki'i     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation