FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Countdown for LA Trader Vic's
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 Next Page )
Countdown for LA Trader Vic's
Kona Chris
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-04-30 2:10 pm   Permalink

I'm sure it's been expressed, but can I just chime in and state how happy I am that this place looks as awesome as it does? I was so afraid we were going to get something like TV's Las Vegas. Instead we have a place that more completely expresses the Polynesian aspect than the Beverly Hills TV's ever did. I can't WAIT to get back to LA!

Chris

View Profile of Kona Chris Send a personal message to Kona Chris      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-04-30 3:25 pm   Permalink

We are indeed all filled with confidence that this Trader Vic's will show to the world that a new Polynesian restaurant CAN be classic "Tiki" style and contemporary at the same time.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
robtikiti
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2009-05-02 12:38 am   Permalink

A few more shots from last week's opening ceremony and blessing:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/attackcat/sets/72157617585057842/

Enjoy!

View Profile of robtikiti Send a personal message to robtikiti  Goto the website of robtikiti     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Beachbumz

Posted: 2009-05-02 02:02 am   Permalink

Okay, definitely going to Vic's next time I fly into LA.. That place rocks, I really need to get me a set of those plates too... Thanks for posting the link to the pictures.. Love to see more..

View Profile of Beachbumz Send a personal message to Beachbumz  Email Beachbumz Goto the website of Beachbumz     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Ojaitimo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-02 11:59 am   Permalink

LA Trader Vic's May 1,2009 Eve of opening day

View Profile of Ojaitimo Send a personal message to Ojaitimo  Email Ojaitimo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Iokona Ki'i
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-02 12:23 pm   Permalink

Great Photos!

We had an Awesome time last night. Everything was perfect.
Beautiful decor! Stunning tikis! Excellent drinks and Delicious food!
The sea bass blew us away! The Staff was top notch! Music and dancers
very entertaining! Tiki folks always a blast!

Congratulations Trader Vic's LA! Look forward to many memorable
times in your wonderful new diggs!

View Profile of Iokona Ki'i Send a personal message to Iokona Ki'i  Email Iokona Ki'i Goto the website of Iokona Ki'i     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chub
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-02 11:04 pm   Permalink

We didn't have a reservation, but still got a seat for two tonight (opening night). Everything was perfect. Our waitress was very attentive and fast. The food was great and both drinks I had were top notch. I will be back many, many times. I probably am in real trouble since this place is 10 minutes from me. Thanks Vic.

[ This Message was edited by: chub 2009-05-03 09:02 ]

View Profile of Chub Send a personal message to Chub  Goto the website of Chub     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Ojaitimo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-03 4:57 pm   Permalink

Nice story in the LA Times
former Beverly Hills haunt adds tiki-torch flair to L.A. Live.
By Scott T. Sterling
May 1, 2009
There was much sorrow among history buffs and tiki aficionados alike when the iconic Beverly Hills bar Trader Vic's shut its doors in spring 2007. The old-school watering hole, which opened in 1955, had fostered a sense of L.A. history despite the perpetual renovations and changes happening all around its location at the intersection of Santa Monica and Wilshire boulevards.

After months of rumors and speculation, Trader Vic's returns Saturday to Southern California with an expanded and updated version in downtown's sprawling L.A. Live entertainment complex on the corner of Olympic Boulevard and Figueroa Street. With picture windows looking out onto Olympic, this super-sized version of the classic Polynesian experience is essentially two places in one.

The front half is a party-ready bar area, complete with a wrought-iron enclosed patio outside. But deeper inside is the plush, wood-paneled dining room, where booths line the custom tapa cloth-covered walls, with everything focused around the giant Chinese wood-fired oven located at the back of the room. There is a posh private event room adjacent to the dining area, with an impressive outrigger imported from the Dallas Trader Vic's hanging above the room's huge communal table. And, of course, there are tikis, large and small, everywhere.

Related

* Inside the new Trader Vic's
Photos:
Inside the new Trader Vic's

Ads by Google

LA Bars, Clubs & Lounges

Get the latest spin on LA nightlife with Thrillist Free Daily Emails

Thrillist.com

"Green" Food

Get Updated On Hippest & Hottest Places To Eat Organic & Vegan Food

IdealBite.com/LosAngeles

Corkbar

Downtown Los Angeles WineBar Open Daily for Lunch & Dinner

www.corkbar.com
While this new Trader Vic's has been painstakingly detailed to maintain a warm, "Tiki Nation"-approved atmosphere, owner John Valencia admits a few concessions had to be made in order to fit the outsized surroundings of L.A. Live.

"Yes, there are TVs in the bar area and one in the private dining room," Valencia said while touring the freshly completed space recently. "We're literally next door to the Staples Center, so we have to be ready to accommodate a sports crowd -- and look forward to the Lakers having a long playoff run this year. But we did it as discreetly as possible."

Valencia flew in the Rev. Neal Harper McHenry (a.k.a. "The Big Kahuna") from Hawaii to preside over a traditional blessing ceremony for the new space, anointing both rooms with water from the Pacific Ocean, salt and a tea plant stalk. Waiters passed trays of steak and chicken seared in the Chinese oven alongside other Trader Vic's favorites, such as the Crab Rangoon.

But this being Trader Vic's, arguably the home of the first mai tai and notorious for huge, rum-soaked drinks, the emphasis is squarely on the cocktails. Waitresses in Polynesian dresses served up a selection of drinks, starting with the latest Trader Vic's concoction: the Big Kahuna. This signature cocktail for the L.A. location comes in a special edition tiki mug, which is for sale (serious tiki collectors have been placing advance orders for weeks). Topped with a wedge of lime, it's a flavorful alternative to the mai tai. The coconut-flavored Chi Chi (which eschews rum for vodka and triple sec) is appropriately served in a coconut-shaped ceramic mug. The Trader Vic's Grog is laden with enough pineapple and passion fruit juice to cleverly mask the dark rum lurking within. But it was the almond-tinged mai tai that packed the most potent punch of the bunch.

With hula dancers swaying to the live Hawaiian music on the bar-area stage, Valencia seemed genuinely optimistic about bringing this blockbuster tiki experience to the neon explosion that is L.A. Live

"This is the 75-year anniversary of Trader Vic's, and the excitement I've felt from people about this place has been tremendous," he said. "Hospitality is a large part of the Polynesian culture, and we look forward to welcoming guests into this new era."

scott.sterling@latimes.com

Trader Vic's Los Angeles
Where: 800 W. Olympic Blvd., Suite A120, L.A.

When: 5 p.m. to midnight Sundays to Thursdays, 5 p.m. to 2 a.m. Fridays and Saturdays

Price: Possible cover charge depending on the night or live performance

[ This Message was edited by: Ojaitimo 2009-05-05 13:52 ]

View Profile of Ojaitimo Send a personal message to Ojaitimo  Email Ojaitimo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
crazy al
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-05 10:13 am   Permalink

holy tikis!! Danny's tikis look like they were pluck right out of the Caliente tropics parking lot!! Damn! this is fantastic and the similarity to Leroy's work should only be exalted... Leroy should be siting on a throne being fanned by the topless.. as Danny carves at his feet... tiki Lives!! they make the place what is is before you ever get inside the joint!! Now for the rest of the tikis???? the place is nice! staff seems to be committed!!! Thanks for the invite!!!!

View Profile of crazy al Send a personal message to crazy al  Email crazy al Goto the website of crazy al     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Crowntiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-05-05 11:21 am   Permalink

I really enjoyed my virgin quest over the weekend, definitely in the upper sphere of TV's I've been to.
The Good:
The place looks great. Kudos to everyone involved, it exceeded my expectations in terms of decor, design and attention to detail. The staff was friendly and well-trained in terms of the menu and drink recommendations. The bar staff seemed to be zipping along already, the drinks were all well-balanced.

The Bad (But still pretty good):
It pains me to say it, but the new formula Trader Vic syrups are just plain awful. Despite the bartenders best efforts, who did produce some nice cocktails, some of the drinks have that heavy medicinal after-taste which reminded me why I don't buy ANY of the TV mixers any more.

The Ugly:
No Almond Duck Tidbits on the menu. A classic. My all-time favorite. Sadly missing. Where do I start my petition to add it to the PuPu menu?

View Profile of Crowntiki Send a personal message to Crowntiki  Goto the website of Crowntiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
LOL Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-05 11:48 am   Permalink

For posterity's sake it might be a good idea to keep a running inventory of all the artist's contributions.

Ovarian Cancer Research

View Profile of LOL Tiki Send a personal message to LOL Tiki  Email LOL Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thejab

Posted: 2009-05-05 6:00 pm   Permalink

Does anyone know their hours? Their web site used to state they open at 4, with a daily happy hour 4-6, but now it doesn't show their hours. But that LA Times article states they open at 5:00.

View Profile of thejab Send a personal message to thejab  Goto the website of thejab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-05 6:18 pm   Permalink

im pretty sure its
4 pm to midnite, sun to thurs.
4 pm to 2 am fri and sat.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

View Profile of bigtikidude Send a personal message to bigtikidude  Email bigtikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-06 12:37 pm   Permalink

I went last night for the 1st tiki night at Trader Vics.
had a From Scratch Mai Tai, tasted good, but seemed a tad light on the rum.
had a Navy Grog, tasted great, but they used 1 oz. light 1 oz. gold, and 1 oz dark rum. Isn't it supposed to be 3 oz. dark rum? hmmmmmmm???
had the Big Kahuna just to get the mug, the drink was not to my liking at all.
too light to much grenadine, and too much sweet stuff in it.
after 1/3 of it, I asked him to pour it out.
I got a headache from it.

the Decor is great, but a tad on the light side.
but I don't think a New TV's will ever look like the old ones.
Not Crazy about the flat screen TVs playing sports,
but being how close it is to the Sports complex, I'm sure that's a must have there, will just have to live with it.

the Food, off the Hook amazing as always at any Vics.
kudos on that.

I will def. be back many many more times!!

as for parking, I didn't look for free street parking, but a block away.
there was a unlimited parking time, for 7 bucks flat rate.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

View Profile of bigtikidude Send a personal message to bigtikidude  Email bigtikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TraderJohn
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-05-06 1:52 pm   Permalink

Trader Vics Los Angeles

Open 7 days

Hours:
Sunday - Thursday
4PM - Midnight

Friday - Saturday
4PM - 2AM

Starting May 12th we will start serving lunch

11AM - 3PM

Tiki Time

Monday - Friday

4PM - 6PM

Tiki Central Night is Thursday

$3.00 off All Trader Vic's Cocktails

View Profile of TraderJohn Send a personal message to TraderJohn      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation