FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki how cool is that - a tiki-plane ! ! !
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 Next Page )
how cool is that - a tiki-plane ! ! !
JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-09-02 11:00 pm   Permalink

AWESOME.

What an incredible continuation to an incredible story !!

And I like how they envisioned a "working" volcano.

Amy, you have one in the works for Mojave Oasis, right ??

UPDATE - Ooops, sorry for flipping the page. Everyone needs to go back to the previous page and see Buzzy's (and the Bigbro's) recent post(s). Better yet go back to Page 1 and see Tiki history (both vintage and Revival) unfold before your eyes. This is just too surreal.

[ This Message was edited by: JOHN-O 2011-09-03 09:11 ]

View Profile of JOHN-O Send a personal message to JOHN-O      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-09-04 08:15 am   Permalink

Great research Buzzy, and thanks Sven and Queen K for filling in a few more of the details. Those old signs are awesome and that boat looks great on the lake. Really makes you want to get back to Mojave Oasis.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Queen Kamehameha
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-09-04 7:36 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-09-02 23:00, JOHN-O wrote:
AWESOME.

What an incredible continuation to an incredible story !!

And I like how they envisioned a "working" volcano.

Amy, you have one in the works for Mojave Oasis, right ??

Maybe for Mojave in April

View Profile of Queen Kamehameha Send a personal message to Queen Kamehameha  Email Queen Kamehameha Goto the website of Queen Kamehameha     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sophista-tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-09-04 7:44 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-09-02 22:58, Unga Bunga wrote:
Quote:

On 2011-09-02 19:32, bigbrotiki wrote:

I think I soiled myself!

hahahahahahahahahahahaha

View Profile of Sophista-tiki Send a personal message to Sophista-tiki  Email Sophista-tiki Goto the website of Sophista-tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-10-11 10:10 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-10-10 20:32, Bay Park Buzzy wrote in this thread...

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=41337&forum=17&start=15&18

My plane just got here, so I'll be arriving via my Chartered flight:

I'm using Newberry's Interlake Transport.

See you all there!
Buzzy Out!

WTF ?? !!

The thread's come back full circle ??

View Profile of JOHN-O Send a personal message to JOHN-O      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bora Boris
Mr. Unreasonable

Posted: 2011-11-07 06:46 am   Permalink

Found this Newberry Springs photo from the Los Angeles Times in the UCLA Digital Archive ~

"Man fishing from Tiki house on one acre lake in the desert community of Newberry Springs, Calif., 1965

[Caption] HAWAIIAN FLAVOR-Eugene Cowell fishes from Tiki house in his one-acre lake, one of the 35 which have blossomed in the desert community of Newberry. He says catfish eat from his wife's hand."

View Profile of Bora Boris Send a personal message to Bora Boris      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-11-07 07:09 am   Permalink

Nice.

Also a very interesting use of the word "Tiki house", especially in 1965. It reminds me of this "Tiki Hut"...

So at some point in the 1960's, a bamboo thatch structure became synonymous with "Tiki".

[ This Message was edited by: JOHN-O 2011-11-07 08:52 ]

bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-11-07 12:22 pm   Permalink

Just ask the folks in Florida, there every thatched beach bar has been a Tiki Bar for a while now. Question is since when.

For something to become "synonymous with" something, there has to be a slew of examples out there. Fact is that in regards to architecture that matters, as with the most wide-spread apartment buildings, Motels or bowling alleys, the label "Tiki" was never used.

GREAT find Boris! That is pretty much the first romanticized photo of the place! Would be interesting to find out WHICH lake this Eugene Cowell owned. Amy?

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bora Boris
Mr. Unreasonable

Posted: 2011-11-07 12:25 pm   Permalink

It kinda makes you wonder if the reeds the picture was shot through were placed there for the picture only?

View Profile of Bora Boris Send a personal message to Bora Boris      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-11-07 12:28 pm   Permalink

Probably not, but it does look like they were the only live vegetation around.

[ This Message was edited by: bigbrotiki 2011-11-07 12:29 ]

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Queen Kamehameha
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-11-07 9:30 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-11-07 12:22, bigbrotiki wrote:
Just ask the folks in Florida, there every thatched beach bar has been a Tiki Bar for a while now. Question is since when.

For something to become "synonymous with" something, there has to be a slew of examples out there. Fact is that in regards to architecture that matters, as with the most wide-spread apartment buildings, Motels or bowling alleys, the label "Tiki" was never used.

GREAT find Boris! That is pretty much the first romanticized photo of the place! Would be interesting to find out WHICH lake this Eugene Cowell owned. Amy?

Hi Sven, I have sent the name off to friends... Buzzy and I scoped out a place a few weeks ago, with a large lake, tiki huts and more. even a bunker under the lake island. I know we took pictures will get him to post them...... The caption on that picture, I have heard it before...I will will check my Newberry items...ah...what we dont know about Newberry springs......

[ This Message was edited by: Queen Kamehameha 2011-11-07 21:32 ]

View Profile of Queen Kamehameha Send a personal message to Queen Kamehameha  Email Queen Kamehameha Goto the website of Queen Kamehameha     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JimH

Posted: 2012-03-28 2:18 pm   Permalink

Hello all! I'm new to this message board and discovered it while looking for info on "Lake Jodie".

I lived on Lake Jodie Fri-Sun from 1974 until the early 1990's. My family owned one of the properties there and it was our weekend getaway. I have very fond memories of it and the surrounding desert and was looking for any news, or photos so everything you guys have dug up is amazing!

Seeing Gus Raigosas name, and all the pictures here is like a giant flashback!

I was born in '74 so my early memory is not great, but I don't recall much of (or any) Tiki presence in my time there. I don't know if the idea had already not taken off by then or what. There was a smaller "swimmin' hole" as we called it, off of Lake Jodie that did have a little hut, but it was not an A-Frame like some of the others I've seen here.

"Lake Aloha" definitely looks like the original plans for Lake Jodie. Only thing missing from Lake Jodie as it stands today is the third island. I'd remember it if it was ever there, we water ski'd in a figure 8 around those two islands for years!

I'm pretty sure I have a postcard from "Lake JODIE" that the Raigosa's had made laying around my house somewhere that I'll try and scan and share with everyone. I have no idea where it may be, but I know I've seen it around over the years.

I'd love to have a higher resolution pic of the "Lake Aloha" image if anyone has it, that is so cool. My parents would probably enjoy seeing that.

Great work by all involved here! I really enjoyed reading everything you've shared.

Moving on to the "Airfield" communities mentioned here...I know live in Lancaster, CA. Just outside of Palmdale and near a CASTLE that was once a private club for pilots. There was a link to it in the Abandoned and Little Known Airfields link posted here earlier.

The castle still remains today, you can get your best view of it from the aqueduct that runs behind it, you cant get much of a view from the front gates without binoculaurs or long lens camera, but it is definitely very cool and there are a ton of photos on the web if you look hard enough, even of the castle interiors.

Here's the link to that airfield/castle (it's also known as "Shea's Castle":
http://members.tripod.com/airfields_freeman/CA/Airfields_CA_PalmdaleS.htm

Thanks again everyone!

View Profile of JimH Send a personal message to JimH      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Queen Kamehameha
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-03-30 1:54 pm   Permalink

Hi Jim, Nice to meet you!, I own Mojave Oasis in Newberry Springs and Sven who is our Tiki Religion Teacher and Expert,Found those Water color Drawings. I have seen lake Jody, it is not Polynesian but the lake and homes is very cool! I will see if I can get you a better picture

Amy

[ This Message was edited by: Queen Kamehameha 2012-03-30 13:56 ]

JimH

Posted: 2012-04-10 5:05 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-03-30 13:54, Queen Kamehameha wrote:
Hi Jim, Nice to meet you!, I own Mojave Oasis in Newberry Springs and Sven who is our Tiki Religion Teacher and Expert,Found those Water color Drawings. I have seen lake Jody, it is not Polynesian but the lake and homes is very cool! I will see if I can get you a better picture

Amy

[ This Message was edited by: Queen Kamehameha 2012-03-30 13:56 ]

Thanks Amy! I'm very familiar with the Area and Silver Spur Road! Nice to meet you!

View Profile of JimH Send a personal message to JimH      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikilongbeach
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-08-07 2:50 pm   Permalink

Look at the tiki's on the wallpaper! Too bad that man's plaid jacket blocks part of the view.

Not my etsy posting, but the picture is of a mock up on a Boeing 727 interior.

www.etsy.com/listing/130733487/boeing-airplane-interior-cabin?ref=shop_home_active&ga_search_query=boeing

View Profile of tikilongbeach Send a personal message to tikilongbeach      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2018 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation