FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Recipe: Coco Lopez Question
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Recipe: Coco Lopez Question
dcman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-25 07:04 am   Permalink

Use ONLY coconut cream, not coconut milk, they cannot be interchanged.

The Painkiller specifically calls for Coco Lopez, but I actually prefer Goya, which is more easily available. Goya seems be a little creamier.

All coconut cream, no matter what kind you use has a tendency to be chunky with lumps of coconut, which I find particularly unappetizing. I've figured out this trick. When I make anything with Coco Lopez, usually Painkiller mix, what I do is shake the can well and then pour it into a bowl. I add one of the drink ingredients to the coconut cream (such as a few ounces of lime juice) and then I stir with a whisk until all the coconut chunks are broken up and universally liquid and creamy.

dcman

View Profile of dcman Send a personal message to dcman  Goto the website of dcman     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2010-09-25 7:54 pm   Permalink

To further complicate matters, there is an unsweetened product also labeled coconut cream. It contains 27% coconut oil and supposedly can be beat like whipping cream. Coconut milk is 19% fat with no sugar added, Coco Lopez is 16% fat with lots of sugar added

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2010-09-29 5:07 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-09-18 08:13, Slacks Ferret wrote:
I can't get Coco Lopez up here (I'm pretty sure anyway...)

Hey SF,
I found it at WalMart in the liquor aisle next to the bitters and Rose's Lime Juice. Maybe they carry it at Canadian WalMarts too?

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Slacks Ferret
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-30 09:37 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-09-29 17:07, MadDogMike wrote:
Hey SF,
I found it at WalMart in the liquor aisle next to the bitters and Rose's Lime Juice. Maybe they carry it at Canadian WalMarts too?

Yeah...I looked there, 'cause the Coco Lopez website stated they were sold in Walmarts...but I'm guessing they just don't sell their stuff up in Canada.

View Profile of Slacks Ferret Send a personal message to Slacks Ferret  Email Slacks Ferret     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Slacks Ferret
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-10-01 11:18 am   Permalink

Anyone ever use this?

I am able to find this in town...but I wonder if it's too far off the mark?

View Profile of Slacks Ferret Send a personal message to Slacks Ferret  Email Slacks Ferret     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2010-10-01 3:28 pm   Permalink

Unless it has a bunch of sugar (5 gm per ounce) it's not the same.

Slacks Ferret
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-10-25 1:07 pm   Permalink

Okay...In my never-ending quest to find some decent cream of coconut:

I found "Coco Colada" Cream of Coconut...anyone ever try this?

I think I may be getting closer. It's got 23 g of Sugar per 30 mL. Is that about the same as Lopez? Anyone care to list the nutrition facts on Coco Lopez (or include a photo of it?)

Mahalo!

Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-10-25 1:25 pm   Permalink

I just tried "Coco Real" which is closer to the desired taste of the classic Painkiller
but it is not as creamy as Coco Lopez, for some reason I can not find Coco Lopez any where
in my area!

The Coconut syrups have a good taste but lack that creamy texture and are very sweet
so I find by reducing the amount of syrup you use produces a good Painkiller taste wise
just not as creamy as the Coco Lopez.

Hint: using a cocktail shaker with ice will give it a nice creamy consistency with whatever Coconut mixture you use.

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2010-10-25 2:42 pm   Permalink

SF, here's a link to that label, it won't let me post it. Coco Lopez has 20 gms of sugar per ounce and Coco Colada is 23 grams per 30 ml (just a little over an ounce), sounds about right

ATP, I found Coco Lopez at Walmart in the liquor aisle

Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-10-25 6:17 pm   Permalink

Thank's Mike!

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Slacks Ferret
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-10-25 7:03 pm   Permalink

Yes, thanks Mike. That label is very similar in the nutrition values. I'm guessing I have something very similar here. I'll have to do a taste test to be sure...once I have a can of coco lopez that is...

Brandomoai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-10-25 7:45 pm   Permalink

Wal-Marts in Canada don't have liquor aisles! I usually get the Coco Colada stuff, which is pretty much the only substitute for Coco Lopez in these here parts. I also brought a couple of squeeze bottles of Coco Real back from the States, but I don't notice a big difference in taste or texture. They're both good. The squeeze bottle is convenient, but still not that easy to pour. I've never tried Coco Lopez to compare, but it sure gets referenced in a lot of recipes. I'm fairly certain it's not available here, unless it turns up in some small, ethnic store somewhere...

View Profile of Brandomoai Send a personal message to Brandomoai  Goto the website of Brandomoai     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kahuna Tiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-10-26 06:42 am   Permalink

I just wanted to chime in quickly here. I emailed Coco Lopez about a year ago or so, and they said at that time that they didn't sell their products in Canada and had no immediate plans to enter the Canadian market. Since then, I've discovered "Coco Colada" which was originally labeled "Pina Colada Mix" but has since been relabelled to "Cream of Cocconut". Personally I like the flavor, but it is not visually appealing. It looks kinda slimy when you pour it from the can. :-S

[ This Message was edited by: Kahuna Tiki 2010-10-26 06:42 ]

View Profile of Kahuna Tiki Send a personal message to Kahuna Tiki  Email Kahuna Tiki Goto the website of Kahuna Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Brandomoai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-10-26 07:18 am   Permalink

It's very much like Coco Lopez (or so I hear) in that it has solids that tend to settle at the bottom and you need to give it a good stir before attempting to pour. I've had good success with it, anyway. Give it a try, Slacks. If you haven't found it in a store yet, Save-On usually stocks it with their bar mixers and non-alcoholic beer.

View Profile of Brandomoai Send a personal message to Brandomoai  Goto the website of Brandomoai     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2010-11-12 8:55 pm   Permalink

I am a big fan of sugar, it is one of my favorites of the 4 basic food groups (fat, sugar, salt, and caffiene), but whew, that Coco Lopez is SWEET!!!

Last time I made Painkillers, I used Toroni coconut syrup, only because it has a resealable lid and keeps well. I didn't want to open a 15 ounce can of Coco Lopez and throw out 13 ounces of it.

But I was feeling rich today so I opened up a can. I want enough to taste the coconut, but don't want it sickeningly sweet. Does anyone add a little lime juice to help cut the sweetness? I wonder if you could use part Coco Lopez and part coconut cream to still get coconut flavor without so much sugar?

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation