FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving NEW manaia pendant pg -10
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 Next Page )
NEW manaia pendant pg -10
GMAN
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-04-11 6:54 pm   Permalink

Cool helmet. That's a fine log! I can't wait to see what you come up with. Nope, can't say I've been bit by cypress, but I don't mess with it much. I have had cedar with pointy growths on the sapwood, just under the bark. I think they are just "almost branches" that never made it out?

-G

http://www.oceanandislandarts.blogspot.com/

View Profile of GMAN Send a personal message to GMAN      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Creative Chimp
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-04-11 7:12 pm   Permalink

Well, the logs look the same but the bark on the thorny log came off the easiest in stringy chunks. Maybe I got a cedar log mixed in the pile. Do they both grow in the same wet environment?

View Profile of Creative Chimp Send a personal message to Creative Chimp      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GMAN
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-04-11 7:20 pm   Permalink

is it red in middle??

Like here:

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic=15632&forum=7&start=135

[ This Message was edited by: GMAN 2009-04-11 19:22 ]

View Profile of GMAN Send a personal message to GMAN      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-04-11 7:50 pm   Permalink

Yep, That's Cypress. I've seen that a Lot in cypress, the upper portion of the tree will have (GMAN hit it square on)beginning growths of branches and they can be very sharp and pointy and Hard too because they have to push through from the heart wood through the sapwood ans bark. Most likely both logs are from the same tree. Cypress Will check pretty good if it isn't dried out.
You know, most of that bark need not be removed, since Cypress is fairly bug proof, when you start to cut out your design you will be taking off huge chunks with bark on them, what I'm saying is most of the carving also removes the barked wood and when you get it all roughed out you'll have MUCH Less bark... Just a thought.
Hope all this helps.

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Creative Chimp
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-04-11 8:16 pm   Permalink

No it's not red in the middle GMAN. I guess it's like Benzart said it was...closer to the top which would make sense. Thanks for your help guys. The reason I stripped the bark was so I can map out the design easier. My trade is in design/advertising so I tend to sketch a lot and work out problems before working. Some people wing it with design but I like to think problems through. These logs have some minor cracks forming as it cures which I think will make it look even better in the end. I'm not going the fight the character of the log on this one.

View Profile of Creative Chimp Send a personal message to Creative Chimp      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AlohaStation
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-04-12 5:28 pm   Permalink

Those minor cracks will turn into gaping cracks as the log dries. Keep that in mind while planning.

View Profile of AlohaStation Send a personal message to AlohaStation  Goto the website of AlohaStation     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Creative Chimp
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-04-13 08:17 am   Permalink

thanks for the warning aloha. bouncing around TC i see some awsome carvings and i always thought the cracks make them look better and aged. i will actually be incorporating them in when i lay it out.

Creative Chimp
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-04-24 4:01 pm   Permalink

well I'm going to keep posting little steps to force me to keep moving in these logs otherwise life will distract me and then the next thing ya know 6 months are gone. these are some sketches i have been working on and i think i'm going to try the second to the right "medicine man" i call him. Everybody works different but pulling a sketch of the front and side helps me plan out my cuts. these drawings don't seem to be any certain style....more of a gumbo of maori, marq, pop.....whatever. But then again, i'm pretty ambitious on my second try and it might turn out to be a pumpkin in the end. i like pumpkins too. just going to go with the grain baby!

[ This Message was edited by: Creative Chimp 2009-04-24 16:02 ]

hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-04-24 4:46 pm   Permalink

That first carve had some great lines to it, and youve got some awesome designs sketched out. Cant wait to see you progress

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GMAN
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-04-24 4:48 pm   Permalink

Happy Happy, Joy Joy! Hey kids...it's Log! What's great for a snack and fits on your back.......it's Log Log Log....

http://www.oceanandislandarts.blogspot.com/

laojia
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-04-25 12:22 am   Permalink

Very good drawing! I like the third on the right...Go carving!!!

View Profile of laojia Send a personal message to laojia      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-04-25 10:37 am   Permalink

Yeah, I love All the drawings, wish I could draw like that. Can't wait to see them All transformed into the logs you are collecting. Keep us posted with Lots of progress shots?

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Creative Chimp
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-04-25 2:55 pm   Permalink

well...got some headway today and i need motrin. these pictures are not great but they show progress.... going to the jacuzzi to help kill some "bent over with a cahinsaw all day pain".

laojia
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-04-25 11:34 pm   Permalink

Nice start, it's promising! For "bent over with a chainsaw all day pain" you should purchase a pair of trestles...

continue good carve............. J.

View Profile of laojia Send a personal message to laojia      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Creative Chimp
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-04-26 4:58 pm   Permalink

hey everybody...worked a little more sunday. everything is roughed in now and now i will be slowing digging deeper on the edges and forming its shape. adding some magical lines and shapes between the medicine mans hands and forming the facial features.

Hewey, laojia and benzart....thanks for your kind words on my sketches and progress. thats why i like this site so much. just a bunch of cool people out in the world helping each other out and encouraging each other.

And thanks for the song GMAN. i forgot the words so i looked it up on youtube.com. brings back warm fuzzy memories.

forgot this shot from my previous set....

Now this shot shows his butt....now its no powerful GMAN butt! Its more of a "hank Hill" butt. maybe on the next one i'll have some great "back action" going on.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation