FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving NEW manaia pendant pg -10
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 Next Page )
NEW manaia pendant pg -10
GMAN
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-04-26 5:19 pm   Permalink

what rolls down stairs, alone or in pairs......and rolls over your neighbor's pet.......

The medicine man is looking strong!

-Gman

http://www.oceanandislandarts.blogspot.com/

View Profile of GMAN Send a personal message to GMAN      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Savage Daddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-04-26 5:42 pm   Permalink

Looking good Creative Chimp! What a beautiful log you have. I love the wood grain
As it begins to take shape I can tell he is going to be a very impressive tiki. Your drawing are also excellent!
I predict we will be seeing other tiki art from you as well. Now get back to work.

Savage Daddy
www.savagedaddy.webs.com

View Profile of Savage Daddy Send a personal message to Savage Daddy  Email Savage Daddy Goto the website of Savage Daddy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Creative Chimp
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-04-27 06:49 am   Permalink

GMAN.......once ya get that song in your head its hard to get out. your latest project is kicking ass dude!!!!!!!!!

Yo Savage........hows it going? what your latest project? i'll be heading up to st pete again in a month to get some more cypress as soon as i bust through these 2 logs. got some smaller projects too in the works. I'm going to be putting them around the new pool so thats why i'm motivated. I'll send you a message a week before if your interested. I like the cypress a lot better than sable.

View Profile of Creative Chimp Send a personal message to Creative Chimp      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
congatiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-04-27 12:03 pm   Permalink

Hey Chimp...things are looking good on the Medicine Man. I like the
flowing look of this one, you are making progress quickly. Now lets get
the other sketches knocked out in wood.

View Profile of congatiki Send a personal message to congatiki  Email congatiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
drgoat456
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-04-27 12:55 pm   Permalink

CC,
Really great carving...nice feeling coming out of them. Obviuously, you're also a talented designer & drawer(?). Wondering what is that wheel you've got on your grinder in that pic.? I've had trouble finding a wheel that does what I want it to do. Tips are greatly appreciated.
Ciao

View Profile of drgoat456 Send a personal message to drgoat456  Email drgoat456     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Creative Chimp
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-04-27 4:10 pm   Permalink

thanks Drgoat456.....i used a cheap $30 electric chainsaw-(craftsman). got that on ebay. they are always listed. and the dewalt angle grinder with the sanding wheels shown below. hardly used a chisel because the wood is so dry the disc are getting the job done. the cracking like crazy but i expected it too.....drying too fast. the cypress wood made it real easy to carve....just like butter.

View Profile of Creative Chimp Send a personal message to Creative Chimp      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tucson Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-04-28 12:04 am   Permalink

Chimp, I have not posted on here for a while, but I am still carving. Your designs are excellent. I would suggest getting some sawhorse's and get that wood up where you can work on it without bending over. I use a lot of cinder blocks to get the bigger logs up to a height that I can work on. The smaller stuff I use the sawhorses. Keep carving dude. I usually work in flip flops too. When I first started a cider block fell on my big toe and broke it. Damn, that hurt. I cried! Carving is painful.

[ This Message was edited by: Tucson Tiki 2009-04-28 00:09 ]

View Profile of Tucson Tiki Send a personal message to Tucson Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Creative Chimp
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-04-28 06:12 am   Permalink

Congatiki
.....left you out on my last reply(sorry)thanks for the compliments.....i'm working as fast as i can. the mind is willing and strong but my mortal body is weak.

Tucson Tiki
.....glad you like it. the only advantage of being on the ground was i could roll and cut. i though of blocks too but i need more to still have the the rolling effect. in my last post i lifted it up and OHHHHHHHHH so much better!

I'm going to be at the beach all next weekend so it will be a couple of weeks before i get to finish it.

[ This Message was edited by: Creative Chimp 2009-04-28 06:14 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Creative Chimp 2009-04-28 06:14 ]

drgoat456
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-04-28 10:18 am   Permalink

CC, Thanks for the info...the sanding wheel I had was not cutting it, (the kind you attach a wheel of sandpaper to.) Again, GREAT work. I ended up building a giant sawhorse type affair out of 2x4s, which helps, 'cause being 1 yr away from 60, everything is painful. and glad to hear you're back to carving, Tucson Tiki & working too. My job is looking pretty dubious lately. Hope things get better soon.

View Profile of drgoat456 Send a personal message to drgoat456  Email drgoat456     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mykee50

Posted: 2009-04-28 11:53 am   Permalink

Hey CC, nice carvings. I'm a chainsaw carver, bears, fish, etc. Tiki's are next. Always try to carve at waist level. Your back will be better for it. Harbor Frt. has some great adjustable hydraulic tables.

Some finishing tools that I find indispensable are made by Saburr-Tooth (google it). They can be used on die or angle grinders. The 4" disc's work great with an angle grinder. They are way more aggressive. Then finish with paper disc's or flap sanders. Just FYI. Carve On', MK

[ This Message was edited by: mykee50 2009-04-28 12:11 ]

View Profile of mykee50 Send a personal message to mykee50      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Creative Chimp
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-01 10:45 am   Permalink

Mykee50......thanks for the tool info.

I'm adding a progress shot of the head and face. slowly working the ears , eyes and tonight the mouth is going in. its starting to get a personality now......to be continued....

I'll be digging deeper on the face slowly (around the eyes and sides) to give it a little more character

[ This Message was edited by: Creative Chimp 2009-05-01 10:47 ]

seeksurf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-01 7:19 pm   Permalink

Great work on the sketches. This is going to be great carve.
I use the crap out of my sanders.

View Profile of seeksurf Send a personal message to seeksurf  Email seeksurf Goto the website of seeksurf     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Creative Chimp
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-02 05:56 am   Permalink

thanks seeks.....i like working on the large logs. although it is a work out

i had to work on my boat trailer so all had had time to do was the mouth last night. my boat comes before everything (except family)

seeksurf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-02 12:35 pm   Permalink

Looking great! Yes i like bigger it allows me to make
mistakes and recover because of the size or extra wood.
I don't know how these guys do the little tiny stuff.

View Profile of seeksurf Send a personal message to seeksurf  Email seeksurf Goto the website of seeksurf     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
benella
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-03 01:07 am   Permalink

Hi Dude,

Didn't see this one finished :

...And it's too bad because he looks really excellent with a kick ass design

By the way, the new one's a killer too !

Benjamin.

View Profile of benella Send a personal message to benella  Goto the website of benella     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation