FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving NEW manaia pendant pg -10
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 Next Page )
NEW manaia pendant pg -10
Creative Chimp
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-26 6:04 pm   Permalink

thanks benella.....it only took me a year to respond. have had alot keeping me away from carving since last summer but now i'm ready to finish what i started....

you all might remember my first practice log with dry rot in it?.....well put it in the fire pit and drank a beer and just looked at it. figured i would see just how bad that rot really was so i pulled it back out and started grinding. WHAMO....hit good wood!(thats what she said). well i stripped the inch thick bark off and the entire log was still good........started cutting into it again so im going to actualy be able to finish this thing, then finish my second one too... here are some pics.

back from the dead and outta the fire pit!

oh...and benzart was right(as usual)...never should have gave up so quick on it to begin with. and aloha station was right too......carve deeper!!!! next time i'll listen fellas. thanks

[ This Message was edited by: Creative Chimp 2010-03-26 18:09 ]

View Profile of Creative Chimp Send a personal message to Creative Chimp      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikigodz
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-26 8:17 pm   Permalink

Wow!! I havent seen any of your wourk
I love the style Very NICE!!!!!

View Profile of tikigodz Send a personal message to tikigodz  Email tikigodz     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Creative Chimp
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-04-04 4:36 pm   Permalink

tikigodz.....thanks for the compliments.i need to work as fast as you.....my speed needs improving...

I do have a question for all of you out there in TC land. This practice log(sable Palm) has alot of mold discoloring and light and dark spots from moisture damage.....i bleached it as much as i could but i figured a dark stain or maybe a grey weathered stain would look nice and help hide the bad spots. what kind of stain should i use....???

i know nothing about wood staines, do i use a water based stain or oil? and do i seal it too after i stain the entire thing? looked around TC but still unsure of the correct process. any help out there would be great to actually finish my first attempt at carving.

I'm still cutting out the body region and trying to go deeper with the cuts...still a work in progress but better than setting it on fire like i had planned. kinda starting to like it again.

Thanks
Creative Chimp

[ This Message was edited by: Creative Chimp 2010-04-04 16:37 ]

View Profile of Creative Chimp Send a personal message to Creative Chimp      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AlohaStation
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-04-04 4:57 pm   Permalink

Let the log continue to dry as long as possible. Stain will cover the discoloration but the mold will continue to grow if the log is not dry. I use Minwax stains and Poly. Home Depot or Lowes usaually carries a standard variety. DO NOT USE the stain and poly in one - pure crap!

View Profile of AlohaStation Send a personal message to AlohaStation  Goto the website of AlohaStation     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Creative Chimp
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-04-05 08:48 am   Permalink

thanks aloha! i'll get some at lowes and see if i screw it up. the mold is kinda weird actualy......it will show up after about 5-6 days and looks like a light greyish blue dust. should i sit this log outside since we are having nice weather lately in florida? i thought that might make it crack more if it drys too fast. it has sat in my garage for over a year.

also.....you cant tell from the pics but this log got attacked by carpenter bees(2 holes in the head i have to putty up). those little suckers can drill a perfect hole faster than a drill. is that common with these palms?

[ This Message was edited by: Creative Chimp 2010-04-05 08:49 ]

seeksurf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-04-05 12:24 pm   Permalink

Great looking carve! Very nice long flowing lines all coming together well.

View Profile of seeksurf Send a personal message to seeksurf  Email seeksurf Goto the website of seeksurf     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tiki beat by marcus thorn
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2010-04-05 1:42 pm   Permalink

very cool keep up the good work

View Profile of tiki beat by marcus thorn Send a personal message to tiki beat by marcus thorn  Email tiki beat by marcus thorn Goto the website of tiki beat by marcus thorn     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AlohaStation
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-04-05 6:02 pm   Permalink

Keep it inside if you can - the humidity is contributing to the mold. Clear the existing mold and look for any new growth. You can still stain the log just wait after you stain it and see if any new mold grows. Don't seal it with poly till your sure the mold has stopped growing. If you don't the mold will continue to grow under the Poly.

View Profile of AlohaStation Send a personal message to AlohaStation  Goto the website of AlohaStation     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Creative Chimp
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-04-06 06:14 am   Permalink

seeksurf and marcus.....thanks for looking and your compliments. means alot coming from 2 pros like yourselves.

hey aloha......thats good to know about that poly cuz thats where i would have screwed up. mold is a tuff lil bugger to get rid of. i'll just stain it for now and let it sit and see......thanks again for your help. maybe actually finish him this weekend and start the stain

[ This Message was edited by: Creative Chimp 2010-04-06 06:16 ]

laojia
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-04-06 8:49 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-04-04 16:36, Creative Chimp wrote:

Excelent work you do ...

View Profile of laojia Send a personal message to laojia      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikitammy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-04-09 7:21 pm   Permalink

I love it....resurrected from the ashes. Call him Phoenix! This carving almost looks drawn. You truly have talent...keep going.

View Profile of tikitammy Send a personal message to tikitammy  Goto the website of tikitammy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
benella
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-04-10 01:51 am   Permalink

Hi dude, nice one indeed, the lines are always neat, I love what you did with the hands and the eyes are top shelf.
Can't wait for the next steps,

Mahalo,

Benjamin.

View Profile of benella Send a personal message to benella  Goto the website of benella     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Creative Chimp
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-04-10 06:54 am   Permalink

laojia, tikitammy, benella,
...thank your for your compliments and checking out my stuff. I've been struggling with this guy since the beginning and hopefully it will be worth it. learned alot what not to do thats for sure.

i put a first coat of stain on this guy(red oak minwax) and it went a weeee bit dark. had alot of trouble actually on picking out a stain and seeing how different the color changes when it touches the wood. alot different from the chip to say the least. i tried 3 different cans.....they hate me at ace hardware for returning stuff now.

so here is a question for all the experts out there....
?????
should i just sand down the high spots and go back with a lighter stain to help give it more definition or just finish the 2 or 3 more coats and finish this sucker off and move on? this has been an experiment from the beginning.....any ideas???????

Here it is in its future spot waiting for the stain to dry a bit

thanks everbody

Creative Chimp

[ This Message was edited by: Creative Chimp 2010-04-10 06:55 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Creative Chimp 2010-04-10 06:59 ]

tikigodz
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-04-10 7:29 pm   Permalink

WOOWWWW!!! Chimpo that looks great did you put poly on it?
I have been trying to get that loop into the nose for a while wth no luck
Looks like you nailed it !!!

View Profile of tikigodz Send a personal message to tikigodz  Email tikigodz     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
seeksurf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-04-12 10:39 pm   Permalink

I struggled with the stain and still do. You have a great carve and have a good eye for
tikis. Id move on. Im expecting great thing from your shop.

View Profile of seeksurf Send a personal message to seeksurf  Email seeksurf Goto the website of seeksurf     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation