FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving new marq p-11
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 Next Page )
new marq p-11
Creative Chimp
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-04-15 6:05 pm   Permalink

Thanks tikigodz for the comps......your faster than me, whats ya got cooking lately?

Seeksurf!!!! I'm taking your advice and moving on. I've learned alot from this troubled tiki from the beginning. Now let's see if I can actualy finish the next one I have started.....spendIng some extra time on the nose:)

Gotta say a big thanks to alohastation...... Your help saved me from making some painful mistakes. Thanks man!

well i put 1000 coats of stain on this tiki from the fire pit......time to move on to the second tiki......the cypress medicine man.

and a fancy photo (although not that fancy) done with the best iphone app in the world "hipstamatic". if your an artist and have an iphone.....you MUST buy this photo application..TRUST ME!its more addicting than crack.....

[ This Message was edited by: Creative Chimp 2010-04-15 18:18 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Creative Chimp 2010-04-15 18:47 ]

View Profile of Creative Chimp Send a personal message to Creative Chimp      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Creative Chimp
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-17 6:09 pm   Permalink

Hey everybody,

here is an update on the medicine man 7' cypress log. i thought i would have it done by now but the detailing is killing me. bit off more than i can chew on this one but it will be worth it in the end. the photos are not great. but you can see the progress. iphone in low light

View Profile of Creative Chimp Send a personal message to Creative Chimp      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
seeksurf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-17 6:23 pm   Permalink

NICE!!! Looking really cool. For sure the detail comes @ a cost, but when you are done
its there for as long as the tiki is loved.

View Profile of seeksurf Send a personal message to seeksurf  Email seeksurf Goto the website of seeksurf     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
4WDtiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-17 6:52 pm   Permalink

I have to disagree, you did NOT bite off more than you can chew. It's looking great!

View Profile of 4WDtiki Send a personal message to 4WDtiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
congatiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-17 7:13 pm   Permalink

Bite off a little more
Really like this tiki and the one before it.

View Profile of congatiki Send a personal message to congatiki  Email congatiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
drasticwagon
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-17 8:15 pm   Permalink

Super Awesome.

View Profile of drasticwagon Send a personal message to drasticwagon  Goto the website of drasticwagon     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Meheadhunter
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2010-06-17 9:03 pm   Permalink

Love the medicine man!!
Great details!
Is that gonna be Earth between his hands...
Maybe rename him...
Protector of the Planet!!

View Profile of Meheadhunter Send a personal message to Meheadhunter      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Creative Chimp
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-21 2:00 pm   Permalink

SEEKS,
4WDTIKI,
CONGATIKI,
DRASTICWAGON,

Thanks for the compliments guys. it will be worth it but man when is it ever going to be done? I'm putting the hours in but just cant finish it. i have another log waiting and another curing in the back......I'd like to start chopping on those.

MEHEADHUNTER.....nope its not the earth. its going to be some magic swirls and some other details. he might look stoned and maybe tripping on something when im done but thats what medicine men do right? i really have no idea.....I'm really just making it up as i go from my original sketch on the previous pages.

thanks for looking ....going back in to do some details

surfintiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-21 2:30 pm   Permalink

Wow! That's some cool stuff. I can see the time you're putting in, and your after my own heart with all the sanding, and soft looking edges on the arm moko...lookin' great!

View Profile of surfintiki Send a personal message to surfintiki  Goto the website of surfintiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
laojia
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-21 9:19 pm   Permalink

This "medecine man" pole is amazing!!! When it will finished, it will be a beautiful piece and a very personal design. It was worth the wait...

J.

View Profile of laojia Send a personal message to laojia      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Creative Chimp
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-08-08 5:17 pm   Permalink

well. been on vacation and havent done much, and still need to touch up and stain the old medicine man. started catching up on some yard work and decided to at least get rid of some frustrations from working too much.......

I beat the crap out of and stripped two inches of bark off this sabel palm i have had by my burn pit for the past two years. i cut off the bark like skinning a bear. not that i have ever done that but i used a 6 pack of beer and a bear claw knife. took two hours. the wood looks molded and not so good but if i take it down a half an inch i think i'll hit good wood (thats what she said)

AlohaStation
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-08-09 07:11 am   Permalink

I have suffered thru skinning several logs that were similar to your current project. I've asked several sources what kind of palm it is an no one had any idea. The best I can figure is that these are some species of Sabal - perhaps commercial - most of the logs were planted either along the roadside or in a Park where many full grown trees were planted. The wood is fine (a bit stringy), but the bark is a pain. Good luck!

View Profile of AlohaStation Send a personal message to AlohaStation  Goto the website of AlohaStation     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pjc5150
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-08-09 09:23 am   Permalink

I use a chainsaw to "rough" skin my logs and the angle gringer to smooth 'em. It usually doesn't take longer than 30 minutes.

View Profile of pjc5150 Send a personal message to pjc5150      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TheBigT
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-08-09 11:19 am   Permalink

yeah that palm you got ahold of looks like a LOT of work to skin. Love your carves though, good stuff!

View Profile of TheBigT Send a personal message to TheBigT      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Creative Chimp
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-08-09 11:19 am   Permalink

i got the tree from someone i work with. its a sable that had the boots on (stems). i let it sit too long outside...but i think when it finally dries out and i take the planer and angle grinder to it it should clean up. even after all this time i still hit fresh pulp. its about 6 feet of trouble but I'll kick its ass......just need to bleach it and get it more dried out. then figure where the damage is. thanks for looking fellas.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation