[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Manual Ice Crushers
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
Manual Ice Crushers
SuperEight
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-04-08 11:40 pm   Permalink

I own a great manual ice crusher (you know the hand crank kind) that I actually bought at the Forbidden Island Parking Lot Sale and I love the big thing. Thing is I need one to leave at my vacation place on Kauai so I am wondering if any of the new ones are any good. I don't really want an electric one and I am fully aware that the ones on Amazon look flimsy.

Does anyone have experience with any of the new ones?

[ This Message was edited by: SuperEight 2009-04-08 23:42 ]

View Profile of SuperEight Send a personal message to SuperEight  Email SuperEight     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikipenguin

Posted: 2009-04-09 06:39 am   Permalink

Hi Super,

This one has given me several years of solid service:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0001IWY78?tag=mixshaandpou-21&camp=1406&creative=6394&linkCode=as1&creativeASIN=B0001IWY78&adid=0V16GM8HPPP10ACRRPF3&

Can't find it on Amazon.com, so I don't know how much of a hit you'll take getting it shipped to the states....

View Profile of tikipenguin Send a personal message to tikipenguin  Goto the website of tikipenguin     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Haole'akamai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-04-09 08:03 am   Permalink

Yep! That's the same one we use at Hinky Drinks in Lund Manor. We bought it as a housewarming gift to ourselves over four years ago and it's been a good work horse since. Definite recommend!

We bought it at Target for between $15 - $20.

[ This Message was edited by: Haole'akamai 2009-04-09 08:05 ]

View Profile of Haole'akamai Send a personal message to Haole'akamai      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jingleheimerschmidt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-04-09 10:21 am   Permalink

Quote:

Yep! That's the same one we use at Hinky Drinks in Lund Manor. We bought it as a housewarming gift to ourselves over four years ago and it's been a good work horse since. Definite recommend!

...but can you mount it on the wall?!

My friends rigged one of these old ice-o-matics with a giant hopper and a bowl underneath for the efficient manufacturing of crushed ice. These are the bees knees for sure.

View Profile of jingleheimerschmidt Send a personal message to jingleheimerschmidt      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unga Bunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-04-09 11:24 am   Permalink

Do not, I repeat, DO NOT buy this one.
Every time I try to use it, it starts playing this cornball music and these god damn monkeys show up with fezzes and drink up all my booze.

View Profile of Unga Bunga Send a personal message to Unga Bunga      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jingleheimerschmidt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-04-09 11:48 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-04-09 11:24, Unga Bunga wrote:
....and these god damn monkeys show up with fezzes and drink up all my booze.

Jeez...I heard of pink elephants, but monkeys with fezzes???

View Profile of jingleheimerschmidt Send a personal message to jingleheimerschmidt      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SuperEight
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-04-09 3:49 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-04-09 08:03, Haole'akamai wrote:

I can't find these listed anywhere in America. Shoot.

I need more suggestions guys.

View Profile of SuperEight Send a personal message to SuperEight  Email SuperEight     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
sputnikmoss
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-04-09 4:08 pm   Permalink

Your best bet will be to buy a vintage one. You can pick them up at an antique mall or Ebay for $15-$30. They are indestructible and work like a dream. For countertop ones I would go with an "Ice-o-Mat","Swing Away" or the Sears version called "Maid of Honor". If you want a wall mount the "Dazey" is my favorite.Those crappy ones from China won't last long.

View Profile of sputnikmoss Send a personal message to sputnikmoss  Email sputnikmoss Goto the website of sputnikmoss     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
CucamongaChango
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-04-11 8:56 pm   Permalink

My low-tech solution to creating perfect cracked ice every time.

View Profile of CucamongaChango Send a personal message to CucamongaChango      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
toofastjim
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-04-12 09:49 am   Permalink

I use this one by Metrokane - found at some snooty high end cooking store at the mall that I never go to except to buy overpriced, retro-looking manual ice crushers. Works great, though.

View Profile of toofastjim Send a personal message to toofastjim  Goto the website of toofastjim     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Haole'akamai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-04-12 10:04 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-04-09 16:08, sputnikmoss wrote:

Those crappy ones from China won't last long.

Before I bought ours, I would have agreed with you. The seemingly P.O.S diecast one we were lucky enough to purchase has been amazing.

I'm all for vintage, though. And the Hammer/cloth process is never fail and time-honored, for sure.

View Profile of Haole'akamai Send a personal message to Haole'akamai      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
rev_thumper
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-04-12 11:41 am   Permalink

We have one of those reproduction ones and it does work very well. I need to get a Lewis Ice Bag and a large mallet however, that's the real deal.

View Profile of rev_thumper Send a personal message to rev_thumper      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
snackbar
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-04-12 4:19 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-04-09 08:03, Haole'akamai wrote:

I got the same one, works good, only mine is rusting and leaves some brown dirt in my crushed ice every once in a while.

Another one I have is much better. A stainless steel Dazey:

There are always lots of them floating around on eBay for under $10.

[ This Message was edited by: snackbar 2009-04-13 02:19 ]

View Profile of snackbar Send a personal message to snackbar  Goto the website of snackbar     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jingleheimerschmidt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-04-13 08:29 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-04-12 11:41, rev_thumper wrote:
...I need to get a Lewis Ice Bag and a large mallet however, that's the real deal.

...unless you need to make a cocktail while the children are sleeping.

Carpathia
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-04-13 11:40 am   Permalink

Is there a difference between an ice crusher and an ice shaver?

View Profile of Carpathia Send a personal message to Carpathia      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation