FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Locating Tiki Pago Pago - all locations under one roof
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
Pago Pago - all locations under one roof
sputnikmoss
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-04 09:19 am   Permalink

The Pago Pago in Portland was a notorious Mob hangout. The second floor was a full on gambling establishment with a race wire called the Turf Club. Hot spot in the 1940s, closed in 1951.

View Profile of sputnikmoss Send a personal message to sputnikmoss  Email sputnikmoss Goto the website of sputnikmoss     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-07 11:14 am   Permalink

Just got this postcard from the Pago Pago in Tuscon.

For such a swinging place, the owners Bob and Homer sure look frumpy.

Close up of the building

Close up of the interior.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-07 12:10 pm   Permalink

Wow, that must be the earliest one! Almost looks more 1930s than early 40s...anyone can tell?

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikibars
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-07 4:48 pm   Permalink

Very timely topic.

There will be a short article about the beloved Chicago Pago Pago mural in next Thursday's Time Out Chicago (May 14).

The author of the article, John Greenfield, wrote to me that:

"...the mural is probably coming down during the demolition of the 421 S. Wabash building for a new Roosevelt University high-rise. They're saving the history facade (west wall.) Maybe you can use your tiki lobbying skills to convince them to salvage the north wall, where the mural is?"

OK, Tonga Room/Kahiki/Vic's Beverly Hills crew(s), here's another Sisyphean task for us!

I am surprised that no one has posted a pic of the Chicago Pago Pago mural yet, so I will!

See www.tydirium.net for Tiki Road Trip, global travelogues, and more!

View Profile of tikibars Send a personal message to tikibars  Email tikibars Goto the website of tikibars     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
congawa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-08 12:50 pm   Permalink

&forum
Quote:

On 2009-04-17 16:39, bigbrotiki wrote:
I have always been fascinated by the name of PAGO PAGO (pronounced Pungo Pungo) for Pre-Tiki Polynesian bars and supper clubs in the 1940s. Pago Pago is the main port in American Samoa, and was featured early on in literature:

I'll repost the link to my screen captures from the 1956 film CRIME AGAINST JOE with shots of the Tucson Pago Pago:
http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=302=1&vpost=409830&hilite=john%20bromfield

Every time John Bromfield says the name of the place in the film, he says "Pango Pango." That's just one of those American/English idiosyncrasies about pronouncing the names of places the way we want them pronounced (or spelled). i.e.: Hey Germany, you say "Munchen" but we think it should be spelled "Munich." Italy, cut a syllable out of "Roma" and call it "Rome," and why that unnecessary "o" at the end of "Torino"?--chop it off and make it "Turin." And Beijing and Mumbai? -- I'm gonna go eat some Beijing Duck and wash it down with Mumbai Gin.

Brent

Quote:

Now here is the place to post swizzle sticks, more matchbooks, postcards and other paper ephemera from all the various Pago Pagos in Chicago, Tuscon, Portland, Long Beach and so on.

I'll repost the link to my screen captures from the 1956 film CRIME AGAINST JOE with shots of the Tucson Pago Pago:
http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=302&forum=1&vpost=409830&hilite=john%20bromfield

View Profile of congawa Send a personal message to congawa  Goto the website of congawa     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pappythesailor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-08 1:02 pm   Permalink

I had a long interview with Paul Soohoo who opened the Pago Pago in Milford, MA. If I ever break my leg or something and can't leave the house, I need to copy it out of my little notebook.

P.S. He used to work at Trader Vic's Boston.

[ This Message was edited by: pappythesailor 2009-05-08 13:03 ]

View Profile of pappythesailor Send a personal message to pappythesailor  Goto the website of pappythesailor     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-08 6:40 pm   Permalink

In the Samoan language, the "G" is pronounced very guttural and soft, so it sounds more like "ng" than "g". Because the name was much more in use in the 40s and 50s, the majority of times it is heard in songs and movies from that time is used in its correct, Samoan pronunciation. When spoken correctly, the "N" in Pango Pango should not be fully pronounced, as in "BANG!", more like a soft "G" --but in American songs from that time it often is.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2009-05-08 9:38 pm   Permalink

Is this the kind of Pago Pago you were looking for? Rev BooBen has the matching "man-skirt" but I don't know if it was made in Pago Pago Samoa or not

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-18 3:56 pm   Permalink

Matchbook listing the three Pago Pago locations in Illinois.

Sure hope they can save the old Pago Pago wall mural posted by Tikibars.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sabu The Coconut Boy
Tiki Central Poet Laureate

Posted: 2009-06-12 10:43 pm   Permalink

The Pago (singular) in San Francisco - "House of Zombie"

View Profile of Sabu The Coconut Boy Send a personal message to Sabu The Coconut Boy  Email Sabu The Coconut Boy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-02 2:06 pm   Permalink

Sabu,

Nice card, that's an oldie. Picked one up on ebay.

Another matchbook from the Pago Pago in Long Beach.

DC

puamana
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-05 6:10 pm   Permalink

Here's a matchcover from the Pago Pago in Long Beach, with mention of another location in Palm Springs:

[ This Message was edited by: puamana 2009-07-05 18:14 ]

View Profile of puamana Send a personal message to puamana      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-05 6:30 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-07-05 18:10, puamana wrote:
Here's a matchcover from the Pago Pago in Long Beach, with mention of another location in Palm Springs:

A Palm Springs location, never heard of that before.

Nice find on the matchbook Puamana.

DC

Tipsy McStagger
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-05 8:05 pm   Permalink

as of this weekend , the pago pago mural is still there.

View Profile of Tipsy McStagger Send a personal message to Tipsy McStagger  Email Tipsy McStagger     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-06 07:11 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-05-08 12:50, congawa wrote:
&forum
Quote:

On 2009-04-17 16:39, bigbrotiki wrote:
I have always been fascinated by the name of PAGO PAGO (pronounced Pungo Pungo) for Pre-Tiki Polynesian bars and supper clubs in the 1940s. Pago Pago is the main port in American Samoa, and was featured early on in literature:

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=302=1&vpost=409830&hilite=john%20bromfield

Every time John Bromfield says the name of the place in the film, he says "Pango Pango." That's just one of those American/English idiosyncrasies about pronouncing the names of places the way we want them pronounced (or spelled). i.e.: Hey Germany, you say "Munchen" but we think it should be spelled "Munich." Italy, cut a syllable out of "Roma" and call it "Rome," and why that unnecessary "o" at the end of "Torino"?--chop it off and make it "Turin." And Beijing and Mumbai? -- I'm gonna go eat some Beijing Duck and wash it down with Mumbai Gin.

Brent

Quote:

Now here is the place to post swizzle sticks, more matchbooks, postcards and other paper ephemera from all the various Pago Pagos in Chicago, Tuscon, Portland, Long Beach and so on.

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=302&forum=1&vpost=409830&hilite=john%20bromfield

Fantastic!!!!!!!

View Profile of lucas vigor Send a personal message to lucas vigor      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation