FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts Tiki Art Swap 2009 #1 - PNG Theme. Done and dusted!
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 Next Page )
Tiki Art Swap 2009 #1 - PNG Theme. Done and dusted!
Mr. Pupu Pants
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-20 3:18 pm   Permalink

It's not rocket science but....ok.

I use the most common method which is to use a propane torch to scorch the surface of the wood. A wire brush is used to remove the charred wood--leaving a raised grain since the meat of the wood chars faster than the grain. I repeat as necessary to make the effect more dramatic. A simliar result can be obtained via sandblasting with a compressor (as done at Disneyland) or with certain types of acid.

Cat..say goodbye to bag.

View Profile of Mr. Pupu Pants Send a personal message to Mr. Pupu Pants  Email Mr. Pupu Pants     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TIKIVILLE
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-20 3:52 pm   Permalink

ya you could do it the easy way !
but where's the fun in that ! lol
( got a whole bag full of cats ! hahaha)

View Profile of TIKIVILLE Send a personal message to TIKIVILLE  Email TIKIVILLE     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
little lost tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-20 4:23 pm   Permalink

Who's up for scorching a bag of cats with a propane torch?

So much great work already from youse cats!
And the due date is the end of May or June?

if it's June-this could get real BIG!

www.kinnyruzic.com Art Blogs Wishes Fulfilled!
I'm on Facebook and now Instagram under Ken Ruzic
AW Jeah!

View Profile of little lost tiki Send a personal message to little lost tiki  Email little lost tiki Goto the website of little lost tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Liana
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-05-20 5:29 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-05-20 16:23, little lost tiki wrote:
And the due date is the end of May or June?

if it's June-this could get real BIG!

Finished pieces are to be photographed and posted on this thread by the END OF JUNE - JUNE 30

View Profile of Liana Send a personal message to Liana  Goto the website of Liana     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mr. Pupu Pants
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-20 5:55 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-05-20 15:18, Mr. Pupu Pants wrote:
It's not rocket science but....ok.

I use the most common method which is to use a propane torch to scorch the surface of the wood. A wire brush is used to remove the charred wood--leaving a raised grain since the meat of the wood chars faster than the grain. I repeat as necessary to make the effect more dramatic. A simliar result can be obtained via sandblasting with a compressor (as done at Disneyland) or with certain types of acid.

Cat..say goodbye to bag.

A power washer will do it too if you happen to have one.

View Profile of Mr. Pupu Pants Send a personal message to Mr. Pupu Pants  Email Mr. Pupu Pants     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2009-05-20 6:21 pm   Permalink

Wood choice an an issue too; hardwoods with close grain won't work well but a softwood with coarse grains like fir, pine or cedar work really well.

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mr. Pupu Pants
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-20 7:08 pm   Permalink

Uh oh, was that cat previously in a bag too?

MadDogMike
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2009-05-20 7:41 pm   Permalink

LLT & Amy, thanks. Henrik, here's what I did with the beads, a matching pendant to go with the mug.

It's big and gaudy, about 3x6 inches. Kinda heavy too, I'll throw it in with the mug but only if it doesn't add significantly to the cost of shipping

It's still 6 weeks to the deadline, what else can I make?

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tobunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-20 10:29 pm   Permalink

Wow! Everyone is creating such awesome art! This is gonna be one sweet art swap!

I couldn't decide what to do exactly, so I started off with a couple of plush PNG tikis so far...

Each figure is about 12" high. They are constructed of various fabrics, including flannel, felt, corduroy, terrycloth and satin.

I'd still like to do a couple of drawings too, so my trading partner will probably be getting three or four pieces from me... hey, sometimes quantity IS quality!

Oh, by the way, does anyone know the type of PNG tiki the black Trader-Vic's-logo-looking one is? Jonpaul mentioned from which region this tiki comes, but fer the life of me, I can't remeber what he said!

http://ericoctober.com

View Profile of tobunga Send a personal message to tobunga  Email tobunga Goto the website of tobunga     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AlohaStation
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-21 10:13 am   Permalink

Lets not get too crazy. If you are willing to include more in your swap that's great, but it is not expected (at least not by me). Really cool stuff being presented!! The end of June is perfect - some of us just got motivated early. I'm sure there are some people that are sweating the deadline. 5 weeks and counting!!

View Profile of AlohaStation Send a personal message to AlohaStation  Goto the website of AlohaStation     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mp
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-21 11:27 am   Permalink

Beautiful Eric! Everyone's stuff is great.

View Profile of mp Send a personal message to mp  Email mp     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tobunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-21 11:11 pm   Permalink

Hey Mikel! Glad you like! I couldn't decide which to make, so I did 'em both!

Any updates on your mug? The first progress pic you posted looks fantastic! (and I'm honored that a piece of my work helped inspire you!)

http://ericoctober.com

View Profile of tobunga Send a personal message to tobunga  Email tobunga Goto the website of tobunga     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ZeroTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-23 11:05 am   Permalink

Finally starting to get some progress on the painting that isn't New Zealand~esque... though I have to say there is already some amazing finished pieces in the swap!
<EDIT>
Still not PNG enough! Have started again!! 3rd time is a charm!!
(Man, this swap is making me work!)
<END EDIT>

I might put the N.Z. painting in as well, make it a 2fer...
~Zero

P.s.---Sam, where's your piece? Please oh please oh please

[ This Message was edited by: ZeroTiki 2009-05-28 22:28 ]

View Profile of ZeroTiki Send a personal message to ZeroTiki  Email ZeroTiki Goto the website of ZeroTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VanTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-23 9:11 pm   Permalink

Man oh man - I've been stressing about this swap! I suppose you could say that the swap is an educational experience, as I knew next to nothing a month ago about PNG. Totally unfamiliar with the style and nature of the artwork, I set about a serious course of study at Google University. I LOVE the masks, carving, and color - so I wanted to definitely make a mask to hang on a wall... but I also wanted to make a mug. Dilemma! I ended up combining the two and put together a mask/mug that you can hang on a wall peg when you are not drinking from it. They are not that big - so they wont hold too much fluid, but if you fill them with the straight stuff I am sure they will do the trick. I did two - one for the swap, and one for me to keep-and-or-sell. Hopefully if something goes wrong at least one will survive and I can stay in the swap!

Ok - enough blabbing (can you sense my PNG insecurity ?) here are the (very bad cell phone) photos. I'll take better ones later:

Mahalo for peeking!
Henrik "VanTiki"

View Profile of VanTiki Send a personal message to VanTiki  Goto the website of VanTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2009-05-23 10:00 pm   Permalink

Looking very PNG and yet still distinctly HVR (Henrik Van Ryzin) Innovative compromise between wall hanging and mug

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2017 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation