FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Beyond Tiki Wild and Not So Wild World
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 Next Page )
Wild and Not So Wild World
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2011-06-25 10:17 am   Permalink

Ha! I had heard of Gentle Ben but I did't see any TV in the 60's (or much since then for that matter)

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AlohaStation
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-06-25 2:16 pm   Permalink

My dad's place is close to the SR Mall. Their property is next to Hurlbert Field, which has a LARGE protected wooded area (part of the Eastern Diamondback Rattlesnake sanctuary - that's part of where the Army Rangers train). My dad has told me many stories about his battle to live with the bears. Apparently they like to climb his fence, swim in his pool and dig through his trash. Cleaning the skimmer in his pool is an adventure - once when I was visiting we found a 6' king snake, still alive!

Mike - what doesn't FL have? Every time I turn around there's some other type of critter roaming around. Bears are fairly common everywhere in FL. 90% of FL is very rural - the other 10% has its own type of wildlife!

View Profile of AlohaStation Send a personal message to AlohaStation  Goto the website of AlohaStation     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AlohaStation
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-06-29 12:41 pm   Permalink

Case in point...

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/blogs/green-south-florida/sfl-nile-monitor-sightings-increase-in-broward-palm-beach-20110628,0,6013384.story

View Profile of AlohaStation Send a personal message to AlohaStation  Goto the website of AlohaStation     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2011-06-29 12:52 pm   Permalink

Do we really need a Eastern Diamondback Rattlesnake sanctuary???!!! Can't we just let the damned things die out?

Tom, I got a question for you - do buzzards eat dead buzzards? We have a lot of Turkey Vultures out here. This morning I saw a dead one beside the road and 2 live ones standing near by. Were they mourning the loss of a friend or were they getting ready for breakfast? Sorry, no picture.

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AlohaStation
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-06-29 1:31 pm   Permalink

What's interesting is that the rattlesnake sanctuary is part of Eglin Air Force Base. Eglin is where the Army Rangers train and practice. Several years ago a couple Rangers died of "exposure" while training. I always wondered what they were "exposed" to? Eglin is also home to a mountain bike trail that winds its way through the heart of the protected property. While riding, one time I saw 3 - haven't been back since!

We have Turkey buzards too! Never seen them pass up any type of meal??

AlohaStation
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-07-21 08:08 am   Permalink

I thought it was just me. I have been carving in my garage with the door closed because these things have been REALLY bad (the garage is not a cool/refreshing place to carve when its 90+ outside).

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/health/fl-mosquito-season-20110722,0,3709131.story

AlohaStation
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-06 2:23 pm   Permalink

I almost walked into this guy while mowing the grass. His web is so fine it is almost invisible. Must be effective, because you can see all of the bugs its caught. While taking the picture it was feeding on a freshly caught bee (those are bees and beetles above the spider, so you can see the proportions)). This is a big Golden Silk Spider - now, during their season these are in every gap between tress and buildings.

Jungle Trader
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-06 5:22 pm   Permalink

Heebie Geebies man. But they serve a purpose eating bugs. Thank you Mr. Spider, jus don't bite me please.

View Profile of Jungle Trader Send a personal message to Jungle Trader  Goto the website of Jungle Trader     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikipaka
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2011-08-06 5:41 pm   Permalink

Just a story here. I'm always amazed at what I see when I'm laying on a float or just up on the deck by the pool. I few weeks ago I bald eagle came out of one of the tall pine trees and flew over head no more than 20 feet above me and into the woods. What a site. Then last night around 7:00 pm we were just floating around in the pool and my husband says here they come. And I said what? The turkey's he said. I never really seen a turkey in a tree before, but apparently every evening around the same time, the entire family comes walking through the woods, and one by one they fly up and land in a big catalpa tree behind the pool.. The mom & dad are huge and make a lot of noise in their leaps. But the little ones look like they have no problem flying up to the branches.. I never knew that's where they sleep. Did you?

View Profile of tikipaka Send a personal message to tikipaka  Email tikipaka Goto the website of tikipaka     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikipaka
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2011-08-08 02:53 am   Permalink

What a scare yesterday when the dog's went crazy barking and jumping at the back door! Thank god I looked out the door before opening it! There standing in a walking position and looking straight at the door was a Big Bear! Everyone ran for their camera's but it started to walk towards the neighbors yard, stood up on the pool pump house looking right at my son now standing it the back yard trying to get a picture. The bear turned as my son starts now walking backwards at this point and the bear start moving towards him.. Thank god once he was out of view because of a tree, the bear went in the opposite direction... Never did get a picture, but It scared the heck out of me!

View Profile of tikipaka Send a personal message to tikipaka  Email tikipaka Goto the website of tikipaka     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Will carve
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-09-05 09:12 am   Permalink

After all that bitein & slippin
Look what happened

[ This Message was edited by: Will carve 2011-09-05 09:15 ]

View Profile of Will carve Send a personal message to Will carve      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AlohaStation
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-10-02 5:09 pm   Permalink

On the way to my local mountain bike trail I pass by a canal. Littered all along the canal are shells, snail shells. Thousands of them. Most are empty but some are not. South Florida is bird central - everything from ducks to osprey to egrets to cranes to storks... Birds are everywhere, especially in the local Park. This guy let me walk to about 6' from him before he flew off with a snail in its beak.

VampiressRN
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2011-10-02 5:21 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-06-29 12:52, MadDogMike wrote:
Do we really need a Eastern Diamondback Rattlesnake sanctuary???!!! Can't we just let the damned things die out?

I am with you on that one...we actually don't need any snakes in my opinion. My male Golden Retriever got a rattlesnake bite a few months ago...had to get anti-venom and stay overnight...caught it in time thank goodness.

edit...meant to post this viral video here too...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JsC4xBzzBQk

[ This Message was edited by: VampiressRN 2011-10-02 17:44 ]

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chuck Tatum is Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-10-02 5:47 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-10-02 17:21, VampiressRN wrote:
Quote:

On 2011-06-29 12:52, MadDogMike wrote:

I am with you on that one...we actually don't need any snakes in my opinion. My male Golden Retriever got a rattlesnake bite a few months ago...had to get anti-venom and stay overnight...caught it in time thank goodness.

edit...meant to post this viral video here too...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JsC4xBzzBQk

[ This Message was edited by: VampiressRN 2011-10-02 17:44 ]

These snakes keep the wild rodent population down, its all about the balance of nature.

View Profile of Chuck Tatum is Tiki Send a personal message to Chuck Tatum is Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VampiressRN
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2011-10-02 5:57 pm   Permalink

Yeah I know...but we don't need rodents either...and cockroaches are not necessary...oh dear...I could go on and on...damn PETA!!!

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation