FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Beyond Tiki » » Wild and Not So Wild World
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 Next Page )
Wild and Not So Wild World
Club Nouméa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-11-19 11:04 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-11-05 19:37, komohana wrote:

The Kea are New Zealand parrots, south island i think, Club Noumea might know more about them.
Aren't they the birds that destroy cars up in the snow fields?

Whoops! Missed this one - yes, that's right, and keas are clever, evil birds with a malicious sense of humour. They like doing stuff like chewing the rubber bits off car windscreen wipers, or ripping out the rubber insulation strips holding car windows in place. They are quite large birds too. When I was a kid and my family was at Arthur's Pass once, dad had just parked the car when a big one landed on the bonnet, squatted, and made an enormous mess all over the hood. Dad was NOT impressed!

Incidentally, here's a hunter spider I caught in the bathroom. She is longer than she looks: she just wouldn't stay still while I was trying to take a photo - kept rearing up:

Her abdomen alone was just over an inch long, which is large for spiders here. Somewhat blurry side view:

These things aren't poisonous, but they're not the sort of thing you accidentally want to tread on (very messy...), and they are fearless. Most spiders here either freeze or run away from humans; these ones advance towards you.

CN

Toto, j'ai l'impression que nous ne sommes plus au Kansas !

[ This Message was edited by: Club Nouméa 2011-11-19 23:10 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Club Nouméa 2011-11-19 23:13 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Club Nouméa 2011-11-19 23:13 ]

View Profile of Club Nouméa Send a personal message to Club Nouméa      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chuck Tatum is Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-11-20 02:01 am   Permalink

Spiders!

View Profile of Chuck Tatum is Tiki Send a personal message to Chuck Tatum is Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
komohana
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-11-23 07:11 am   Permalink

was just up the shed and noticed the dog acting wierd outside,
went to have a look and she'd bailed up a bob tail goanna...

very common here, especially this time of year when all the reptiles
are more active, non-venomous but do bite.

was not harmed by the dog and went on its way when i let it go after
the photo shoot.

View Profile of komohana Send a personal message to komohana      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Gavin
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-11-23 08:01 am   Permalink

Super Cool Skink.
Thanks. Nice way to start my morning.

View Profile of Gavin Send a personal message to Gavin  Email Gavin Goto the website of Gavin     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VampiressRN

Posted: 2011-11-23 08:53 am   Permalink

Wow...he looks like a very sturdy little guy....CUTE!!!!

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2011-11-23 10:18 am   Permalink

He's big enough to eat - I hear they taste like chicken

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
komohana
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-11-23 6:16 pm   Permalink

yup, a favourite snack amongst the aboriginals, though largely
superceded by the cheeseburger nowadays.

never eaten one myself, but can attest to the delicacy of the
local snakes.

View Profile of komohana Send a personal message to komohana      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2011-12-05 4:24 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-11-17 20:11, MadDogMike wrote:
No picture, but I witnesses something yesterday that's pretty common here but probably not so much where most of you live. They winter sheep in my area because of the mild climate and they just move them down the roads in flocks of several hundred. A goat on a leash in front, a couple of frantically nipping Australian Shepherd dogs in the back, and a sea of sheep moving down the road. If they are coming towards you down the road, you just stop and the sea parts around you in a matter of a couple of minutes. If you come up on them from behind, you have to follow at 5 MPH until you reach an intersection where you can turn a different direction.

Happened again today on my way to work. This pic was taken after most of the flock had passed, they are getting ready to cross the 4 lane state highway (behind me)

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
komohana
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-12-11 05:40 am   Permalink

standing in the shed thinking about something that was probably really important,
i noticed this tiny spider, no more than a couple millimetres in size, catch three
flying insects much larger than itself in its web in just a few moments.

directly below the R and to the left of the top insect...

AlohaStation
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-12-12 07:42 am   Permalink

When I got in to my office this morning this is what I saw!

No photoshop.

View Profile of AlohaStation Send a personal message to AlohaStation  Goto the website of AlohaStation     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Will carve
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-12-20 10:43 am   Permalink

I know you've been waiting for the winter
up date of my curly tail lizards.
Here's Jr. just chillin.
It's 75 today. I'm good but this cold blooded
reptile has all he can do to suck the warmth
out of his favorite log.

Mom & dad are hibernating.
It's way too cold for them.
The 3 legged daughter, She's gone.
I guess a bird or rat got her.
She was cute, but not so smart.

View Profile of Will carve Send a personal message to Will carve      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AlohaStation
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-12-23 3:02 pm   Permalink

I took the family to a place called Butterfly World (they have butterflies). While approaching the entrance I noticed this little fellow chillin out in the sun. Tip to tail he was over a foot long. Not sure what he is.

View Profile of AlohaStation Send a personal message to AlohaStation  Goto the website of AlohaStation     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AlohaStation
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-12-27 06:22 am   Permalink

Check this out!!!

http://www.wsvn.com/news/articles/local/21006256741579/python-captured-at-south-florida-home/

MadDogMike
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2011-12-27 06:27 am   Permalink

Makes me glad I don't have a pool!

"...took it to a farm in ..." That's what we used to tell the kids when their dog/cat got run over on the road - "Oh honey, we took Fluffy to a farm in Brawley where he'll have room to run free!"

Gavin
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-12-27 08:27 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-12-23 15:02, AlohaStation wrote:
Not sure what he is.

(immature) Basilisk.

View Profile of Gavin Send a personal message to Gavin  Email Gavin Goto the website of Gavin     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation