FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Beyond Tiki » » Wild and Not So Wild World
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 Next Page )
Wild and Not So Wild World
komohana
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-04-28 8:21 pm   Permalink

bugger, didn't mean to turn the page.

[ This Message was edited by: komohana 2014-04-28 20:25 ]

View Profile of komohana Send a personal message to komohana      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
komohana
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-04-28 8:24 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-04-28 18:41, MadDogMike wrote:
I took a Zoology class in college that had bird watching as part of it’s curriculum so I have paid attention to birds ever since. I have often thought about photo-documenting the birds of my area but the Imperial Valley is in a major migratory pathway and we have hundreds of bird species here. So I narrowed down the scope of my project by doing the birds I could find in one month (April) in the one square mile around my house. I came up with 35 species photographed and another 3 spotted but not photographed

One square mile with my house in the middle. Grass farmland, a hay compress, a small wetland, and some tumbleweed scrub area.

American Coot. They take off flying by running across the water

Anna’s Hummingbird (female)

Bank Swallow

Black Crowned Night Heron

Black Necked Stilt

Black Phoebe

Blue Winged Teal (not a great picture)

Boat Tailed Grackle

Brewer’s Blackbird

Burrowing Owl, with his burrow mate behind him

Cactus Wren (he wouldn’t come out in the sun for a better pic)

Cattle Egret

pair of Cinnamon Teals

Cliff Swallow

Common Yellowthroat

Desert Great Horned Owl (best pic I could get at night)

Eurasian Collared Dove

European Starling

Gambel’s Quail

Glossy Ibis

Great Egret

House Sparrow

Kildeer

pair of Mallards

Mourning Dove

Northern Mockingbird

Red Tailed Hawk

Red Winged Blackbird

Ring Neck Pheasant – this bird was standing gloriously in the morning sun when I drove past. By the time I stopped and got the camera he was almost gone!

Roadrunner with lizard

Rock Doves or Pigeons

Turkey Vulture

Western Kingbird

Western Meadowlark

Whimbrel

Birds seen but unable to photograph:
American Bittern
Belted Kingfisher
Rufus Crowned Sparrow

Outstanding work Mike!!

View Profile of komohana Send a personal message to komohana      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bamalamalu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-04-29 9:30 pm   Permalink

Wow, it's like a safari in here!

View Profile of bamalamalu Send a personal message to bamalamalu  Email bamalamalu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-05-04 05:04 am   Permalink

I have a ton of birds and squirrels in my neighborhood and I feed both. I recently doubled the size of my hummingbird and butterfly garden and I am waiting for the last frost to plant my new annuals. I was having my morning coffee yesterday and feeding the locals when I noticed my fist baby squirrel of the season. The baby is almost totally white. I couldn't get close enough for a good picture but hopefully it will come for peanuts like the others.

[ This Message was edited by: uncle trav 2014-05-04 05:06 ]

View Profile of uncle trav Send a personal message to uncle trav      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2014-05-04 07:36 am   Permalink

Nice Trav. Speaking of babies, I had a "baby" great horned owl in my backyard yesterday. About the size of a large chicken, all fluffy and not able to fly yet. Hopefully momma is still taking care of him.

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bamalamalu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-05-21 8:36 pm   Permalink

It's been hard to get good pictures (stealthily shooting through the bathroom window), but we've now confirmed at least 5 gangly babies out by our front door.

View Profile of bamalamalu Send a personal message to bamalamalu  Email bamalamalu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2014-05-22 05:46 am   Permalink

Nice Bam, what are they?

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GROG
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2014-05-22 09:46 am   Permalink

Birds.

View Profile of GROG Send a personal message to GROG      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GROG

Posted: 2014-05-22 09:48 am   Permalink

You knew that was coming.

GROG' roommate saw a bear several miles from GROG' cave a couple of weeks ago riding up in Angeles Crest.

GROG miss Tiki-Kate

View Profile of GROG Send a personal message to GROG      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bamalamalu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-05-22 9:08 pm   Permalink

I must concur with the wisdom of GROG: to the best of my knowledge, they're birds.

This is what the Mama looks like - she's a red-headed stripy-bellied bird.
(Ours are nice, but not quite as cute as the fuzzy baby owl bird)

Don't get eaten by bears!

MadDogMike
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2014-05-22 9:55 pm   Permalink

Bam & Grog, you are both right about the "bird" part Without knowing the location and size my best guess is the house finch. But most of the pictures on the net show more red than orangish like yours. Also, only the male has that coloring - the female is more drab (something that occurs in almost all species except humans )

bamalamalu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-05-23 5:09 pm   Permalink

Ha. I should've at least been smart enough to realize the pretty bird was a male. Looking more carefully through our pictures, it looks like both the male & female have been tending the babies equally. Who knew (besides MDM, of course)?

We're in inland San Diego (La Mesa area.) Whatever they are, hopefully the young'uns will be quick learners when flying time comes. The nest isn't very high off the ground and is in kind of an enclosed area. And hopefully none of the neighborhood stray cats will be around or things will get very exciting.

Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 23 days ago; 6:29 pm   Permalink

Sorry I didn't get any shots, but I was not going to risk getting sprayed by a Skunk
I was about 5 feet away.

Last night I watched a Skunk & possum fight over some scraps of food
The Possum just bulldozed its way to the food, where the Skunk had already staked a claim

At which point the Skunk repeatedly headbutted the Possum (A large one) which
the Possum mostly ignored & was clearly unafraid of getting sprayed by the Skunk
it was for the most part, a shoving match which went on for about 10 minutes.

None of the beasties did any real damage to each other, but it was a real nature show
to say the least & Skunks are actually pretty cute animals.

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GROG

Posted: 23 days ago; 9:55 pm   Permalink

Saw a doe with twin fawns this morning just down from the fire road behind GROG' house.

MadDogMike
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 23 days ago; 9:59 pm   Permalink

Fall is in the air and the animals are active.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation