FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Bilge » » Is Star Trek Tiki????
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
Is Star Trek Tiki????
leleliz
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-10 8:22 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-05-10 20:12, woofmutt wrote:
"Oh and in case you are wondering my lack of enthusiasm for said Trekkies is due to having dated one for a brief while many, many years ago."

Yeah, I can see how gettin' dumped by a Trekkie could make you bitter.

Oh Woofmutt...what would these forums be without you?

View Profile of leleliz Send a personal message to leleliz      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Cammo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-11 07:29 am   Permalink

As I was standing in line with the three people I had convinced to actually GET in line for the new Star Trek movie, I realized that the line had wandered around a bit and was putting us right at the entrance for the Hannah Montana movie. The movie was in progress, and somebody had left the door open.

What the heck? I walked in to see what all the fuss was about. Comparing and contrasting Hannah to Star Trek.

So the thing with this Hannah movie is, it’s REALLY bad. So off the map, down in the gutter, washed into the sewer bad that only people with 3 year old mentalities could survive it without permanent mental damage. They seem to be made by cocaine-pumped Hollywood dropouts who really don’t care about reality or at least have an ongoing distaste for it.

Even the soundtrack is bad. Not the songs, which were terrible, just the mating of sound to image was off a lot. And the camera doesn’t seem to know what to do with Ms. Cyrus. Is she outraged? Is she happy? Sad? We never quite know. The camera cuts back and forth to her for no reason, at times when she doesn’t really have a lot to do with the plots swirling around her. Its all very confusing.

I looked at the audience. They seemed to be embarrassed to be there, the median age was about 19. Jeez, shouldn’t these kids be on drugs, annoying their parents and hanging out at the beach on a Saturday afternoon? What’s wrong with them? Where is their STYLE?

Why are they here?

The theme of Hannah Montana seems to be that Hannah rules the universe. That’s the attraction. She lifts her finger, or looks a tiny little bit … dissatisfied… and adults run around yelling at each other, asking Hannah what’s wrong. It’s great to be Hannah. She’s incredibly rich, the center of the world’s attention, she lives on this, oh crap, go see the movie if you’re that into it. I ain’t.

What’s interesting is how totally opposite this all is to real life for a pop star. Teeny pop stars have to do EVERYTHING the studio says, when the execs say it and how. They have no personal life, they are not allowed to have fun and most of the time they sit in makeup chairs (Hannah had a lot of pancake on, like about ½” thick on her cheeks, even when relaxing around the campfire) being told how ugly they are and how makeup will save them from a life of drudgery. God help us when this generation hits the streets.

Finally, I didn’t find Miley Cyrus all that cute. She squints a lot. Her chin is kind of strange looking, it looks like she got in some fights in grade 6. She can’t dance. And her singing is pretty thin. She seems to sit around a lot, brushing her hair, looking like she doesn't know the camera is rolling.

What the…?

View Profile of Cammo Send a personal message to Cammo  Email Cammo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ravenne
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-11 07:32 am   Permalink

View Profile of ravenne Send a personal message to ravenne      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
woofmutt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-11 08:50 am   Permalink

I gotta agree about the Hannah Montana movie. And it's especially unfortunate as the TV show is so exceptionally good.

The acting on the show is surprisingly accomplished for such young people and Billy Ray is amazing. The music is generally always good and well crafted.

The plotting and the characterization is far better than one finds on most adult shows. Also I have found that a layer of crunchy peanut butter in my shoes gives me a lively step and makes my feet smell Georgia farm fresh.

I think Mylie's switch back and forth between the ordinary high school girl and Hannah is really something else, even without the blond wig you'd really see her as two different characters.

I'm glad to find there are other Hannah fans here on TC, and for those of you who have just dismissed it out of hand give it a look. And I recommend Skippy Extra Crunchy for the shoe thing.

View Profile of woofmutt Send a personal message to woofmutt  Email woofmutt Goto the website of woofmutt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GROG
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2009-05-11 09:33 am   Permalink

Cammo derailed his own thread.

When GROG niece was young, and GROG was visiting GROG' sisters house and GROG' niece was watching Hannah Montana Grog watch the show with her. GROG was surprised with the show. GROG agree with Woofy, it was pretty good for a kids show. Miley Cyrus' comic acting remind GROG of Lucy, Carol Burnette, and Jenna Elfaman. Not as funny as them, but you could see she was inspired by them. It still not make GROG want to go see Hannah Montana movie. But GROG plan on seeing Star Trek today. ROTTEN TOMATOES gave it a 96 on the tomato meter.

(Cammo, notice how GROG steer GROG' post back to Star Trek which was the original topic of this thread.)

GROG miss Tiki-Kate

View Profile of GROG Send a personal message to GROG      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
King Bushwich the 33rd
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-11 09:44 am   Permalink

Not directly tiki but indirectly inspired by idealized imagery of indigenous inhabitants of Oceanic Islands.

Star Trek Original Series: Episodes - The Apple

The costumes are somewhat SouthSeaIslandish. And it looks like they live in grass huts.

Yes, I know... there was no South Sea Island village that had David Soul in a puffy blond wig and bad spray on tan.

[ This Message was edited by: King Bushwich the 33rd 2009-05-11 23:11 ]

View Profile of King Bushwich the 33rd Send a personal message to King Bushwich the 33rd  Goto the website of King Bushwich the 33rd     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Babalu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-11 09:54 am   Permalink

Freakin Space Hippies!

View Profile of Babalu Send a personal message to Babalu  Email Babalu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
little lost tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-11 10:00 am   Permalink

so...is Hannah Montana Tiki?

View Profile of little lost tiki Send a personal message to little lost tiki  Email little lost tiki Goto the website of little lost tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ravenne
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-11 10:04 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-05-11 10:00, little lost tiki wrote:
so...is Hannah Montana Tiki?

Yes.

View Profile of ravenne Send a personal message to ravenne      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GROG
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2009-05-11 10:08 am   Permalink

Gonna see Star Trek in IMAX!!!

View Profile of GROG Send a personal message to GROG      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
woofmutt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-11 10:46 am   Permalink

She looks like Party City's idea of a hula girl.

View Profile of woofmutt Send a personal message to woofmutt  Email woofmutt Goto the website of woofmutt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Cammo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-11 11:03 am   Permalink

Cammo glad GROG gonna go see Star Trek in IMAX. Cammo see Star Trek in IMAX too and he like it. He give it five coconuts.

Three pieces of advice to GROG:

1. Do not go to bathroom in middle of movie. Do anything, go to bathroom in aisle if you have to but do NOT leave theater in middle of Star Trek movie. You will miss big exposions or something.

2. If theater is really crowded, go early and save the empty seat beside you. Tell people, "No, this seat TAKEN." and glare at them. Then when it ten minutes to showtime, pretty girl with BIG boxes of greasy popcorn clutched to chest come looking for a seat. Tell her "This seat open." Then - close the deal.

3. Count how many times Kirk punches things. It fun.

View Profile of Cammo Send a personal message to Cammo  Email Cammo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chip and Andy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-11 11:18 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-05-11 11:03, Cammo wrote:
3. Count how many times Kirk punches things. It fun.

I never visit the local film house with at least two flasks.... so every movie invariably becomes a drinking game.

We started the game with DRINK every time Kirk punches things. But then decided it was more fun to DRINK every time someone grabs Kirk by the throat and tries to strangle him.

Luckily I had a spare flask hidden in my hat, we needed it after we changed the rules!

As an aside..... was Leonard Nimoy in soft focus? I mean a little TOO soft? Like the almost full-on blur when they would show closeups of Yeoman Rand in the original shows.........

View Profile of Chip and Andy Send a personal message to Chip and Andy  Email Chip and Andy Goto the website of Chip and Andy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Cammo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-11 11:24 am   Permalink

Soft focus or not that Nimoy guy looks REALLY strange in the movie! They make his ears just as wrinkley as his neck, and it freakin' creeped me out. What would he have looked like in macro focus and harsh lighting?!

GROG -

4. Shut your eyes when Nimoy comes on screen!

Son-of-Kelbo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-11 1:12 pm   Permalink

The Star Trek / Tiki connection has also been pondered in Tiki Music --

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=25954&forum=11

Also, my Tiki Hut definitely has a Hor'gahn (which sees a good deal of action), and, Woofmutt is at least correct about the Green Women. Oooo.

Glad to see a new generation carrying the torch...

Live Long and Prosper, TC Lifeforms!

S K

[ This Message was edited by: Son-of-Kelbo 2009-05-11 13:12 ]

View Profile of Son-of-Kelbo Send a personal message to Son-of-Kelbo  Goto the website of Son-of-Kelbo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation