FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki The Exotica Girl thread
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 Next Page )
The Exotica Girl thread
JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-29 10:06 pm   Permalink

This whole post deserves it own Tiki Central category if not a web site of its own !!

View Profile of JOHN-O Send a personal message to JOHN-O      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Formikahini
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-29 10:45 pm   Permalink

Now that I try and pin it down, a full-on happy smile seems to kill it as Exotica for me. She has to be looking alluring..tempting...naughty/sexy. Wholesome: no. (I fully concur with Bigbro on not all hula girls' being Exotica Girls for that reason.)

Jeans, furs, pearls: BIG no. Down-to-Earth or glamorous is NOT exotic. Nice in their own right, but they are not Exotica.

Marina the Mermaid, tailed or no: Always. Whether fire-breathing, Polynesian dancing, belly-dancing, Orion Slave Girl dancing, or peeking through the windows - with a tail - at the [soon-to-be-history] Wreck Bar, she IS the modern Exotica Girl.

And as a mermaid, she can break my above personal rule and smile all she wants; a babe with fins is exotic, no matter what.

View Profile of Formikahini Send a personal message to Formikahini  Email Formikahini     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-29 11:23 pm   Permalink

And (ideally), the Exotica girl stands in some form of context to Tiki culture or Exotica ---cuz remember folks, this IS Tiki Central. Either by decor, costume, time period, or the Ports of Call concept.

But here I go again, being accused of being limiting again, while all I am doing is trying to define a genre:

Film Noir is a genre. Would you say Jerry Lewis is a classic Film Noir actor? I don't think so. Or Adam Sandler would be a Film Noir actor, just because he has a baby killer face? Not really. Then why would Cassie Ventura be an Exotica girl?

In case some of you don't know, there are LOTS of websites out there for tropical babes like her. Brasil models, Ibiza Girls, and so on. But what do they have to do with the themes and focus of this website?

And of the examples I posted, half of them were NOT from record covers, velvet paintings, or Mai Kai calenders. So they are out there, they're just not easy to find. Like good Tikis.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Murph
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-29 11:39 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-05-29 18:23, kahalakruzer wrote:
Here's one super exotic babe...

Ok. Not really, but in a weird way, kind of. If Annette
was wearing one of the outfits that Candy Johnson was wearing in the Beach Party movies, I'd say it might work.

Here she is a little closer to the topic

[ This Message was edited by: Murph 2009-05-29 23:44 ]

View Profile of Murph Send a personal message to Murph  Email Murph     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-29 11:54 pm   Permalink

Baeeeeeeep! Not! Murph, you must be running out of examples! Even Kahalakruzer carefully conceded:

Quote:

Ok. Not really, but in a weird way, kind of. If Annette was wearing one of the outfits that Candy Johnson was wearing in the Beach Party movies, I'd say it might work.

If she's an Exotica girl, than Jerry Lewis IS a Film Noir actor!

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bora Boris
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-30 12:01 am   Permalink

Okay how about the former Mrs. Marlon Brando Tarita from Bora Bora who starred in the 1962 version of Mutiny on the Bounty?

and lovely Tahitian T e v a i t e - V e r n e t t e from the Mel Gibson / Anthony Hopkins version of The Bounty. (Im spacing out her name since it could draw in more creeps such as myself that do constant Google searches of her.)

These two make me want to drop everything and start swimming for the Islands

View Profile of Bora Boris Send a personal message to Bora Boris      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-30 12:28 am   Permalink

That would be like asking if France Nuyen, the Liat of South Pacific, is an Exotica girl!

Both she and Tarita are classic movie "come hither" Exotica girls inexorably linked to Tiki culture.

Tarita: BOT pages 103 and 133, and Tiki Modern page 269

Murph
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-30 12:43 am   Permalink

I've still got a few left

WaikikiWomb

View Profile of Murph Send a personal message to Murph  Email Murph     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-30 01:04 am   Permalink

TCs very own Liana, photo by me

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
teaKEY
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-30 05:06 am   Permalink

Could be but needs that eye make-up for sure. Maybe some lip stick like the above LP cover girls.

View Profile of teaKEY Send a personal message to teaKEY  Email teaKEY Goto the website of teaKEY     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-30 05:46 am   Permalink

Would this fit the criteria? Though pre-Tiki by a million years exotic none the less.

View Profile of uncle trav Send a personal message to uncle trav      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bongofury
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2009-05-30 09:41 am   Permalink

View Profile of bongofury Send a personal message to bongofury  Email bongofury     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kahalakruzer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-30 09:58 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-05-29 23:54, bigbrotiki wrote:
Baeeeeeeep! Not! Murph, you must be running out of examples! Even Kahalakruzer carefully conceded:

Quote:

Ok. Not really, but in a weird way, kind of. If Annette was wearing one of the outfits that Candy Johnson was wearing in the Beach Party movies, I'd say it might work.

If she's an Exotica girl, than Jerry Lewis IS a Film Noir actor!

I know, I know, all in jest. Even though I feel she could have an exotic pair of eyes, not Exotica at all. But how much cooler would some of those movies be if she was...

View Profile of kahalakruzer Send a personal message to kahalakruzer      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jungle Trader
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-30 11:24 am   Permalink

AppleVenus would be an excellent model for "Exotica Girl". I see more vintage photos than I do "modern" images. Maybe it's time for TCer's to start up a new generation like they have the velvet paintings.

[ This Message was edited by: Jungle Trader 2009-05-30 11:48 ]

View Profile of Jungle Trader Send a personal message to Jungle Trader  Goto the website of Jungle Trader     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-30 12:11 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-05-29 23:23, bigbrotiki wrote:

But here I go again, being accused of being limiting again, while all I am doing is trying to define a genre:

Film Noir is a genre. Would you say Jerry Lewis is a classic Film Noir actor?

Actually Film Noir geeks like me would argue that Film Noir is not a genre in the traditional sense. It's more of a mood or style versus a specific visual iconography. I thought Jerry Lewis was pretty "noir" as Buddy Love in the "Nutty Professor". Also take an actor like Fred MacMurray. Whether you consider him a noir icon would depend on if you remember him as Walter Neff in "Double Indemnity" or as the guy from the "My Three Sons" TV show or the live-action Disney comedies.

Exotica may fall into this more subjective category. With Tiki, it's easy. You have to have physical tikis. Just like the Western genre (cowboys, horses) or Science Fiction (space ships, aliens, robots, etc.)

Anyway I see the beginning of a very long (and fun) thread. "Exotica or not Exotica ??"

OK, I guess I'll go back to my Las Vegas thread now.

Sorry, I take my mid-century culture audiences where I can get them.

JOHN-O

[ This Message was edited by: JOHN-O 2009-05-30 12:48 ]

View Profile of JOHN-O Send a personal message to JOHN-O      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation