FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts new work on an old guy . . . last page . .
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 Next Page )
new work on an old guy . . . last page . .
pdrake
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-31 12:12 am   Permalink

thank you.

View Profile of pdrake Send a personal message to pdrake  Email pdrake     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pdrake
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-31 8:18 pm   Permalink

little bit of sanding and fill work, then a nice polish.

View Profile of pdrake Send a personal message to pdrake  Email pdrake     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2009-10-31 9:08 pm   Permalink

That was quick!

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pdrake
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-31 9:32 pm   Permalink

yes, as quick as a 6 hour dewax and an 8 hour burnout can be. now there's only about an hour and a half of finish work and 24 hours of mold making, then the wax masters, then the investing of them, then the whole process starts over again. yay for unemployment!!!

pdrake
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-31 11:56 pm   Permalink

i forgot to mention how easy metal is to carve. it's like butter. lucky i have lots of soft brushes to swirl it around.

MadDogMike
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2009-11-01 09:10 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-10-31 23:56, pdrake wrote:
i forgot to mention how easy metal is to carve. it's like butter. lucky i have lots of soft brushes to swirl it around.

Perry, I have an appreciation for metal casters, they have the skills of a sculpturer and mold maker, and the balls of a brass monkey! To heat metal to 2000+ degrees and then pour it into a machine that spins it 'round 'n 'round at high speeds is just plain CRAZY

I did one, and only one attempt at metal casting 20 years ago - a pewter snake head swallowing an onyx egg. Heating the pewter to 600 degrees and playing with it was definitely an adrenaline rush, I can't imagine 2000 degrees. It's not much, but here it is

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pdrake
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-04 8:15 pm   Permalink

this will have jump rings on top of the bird's heads.

puppy hair not included.

[ This Message was edited by: pdrake 2009-11-04 20:16 ]

BigToe
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-04 8:56 pm   Permalink

swwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwweeeeeeeeeeet!!!

View Profile of BigToe Send a personal message to BigToe  Email BigToe Goto the website of BigToe     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pdrake
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-08 7:30 pm   Permalink

thanks, toe!

now for the casting . . . .

first time a had a mold work on the first molding. good thing because the mold material isn't cheep.

(get it? birds? cheep?)

[ This Message was edited by: pdrake 2009-11-08 19:32 ]

pdrake
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-11 9:22 pm   Permalink

coming out nice . . .

sorry about the non-tiki pieces. just ignore them.

pdrake
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-15 10:25 pm   Permalink

i know there are a few other metal people here. i'm a little lost as i'm learning all this on my own. i have a question for anyone with an inkling of knowledge to help me. (well, two questions.)

what's the best way to solder jump rings onto bronze?

how can i stop the crystallization of the metal during the casting?

mahalo!

pdrake
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-18 4:50 pm   Permalink

never mind, solved my problem.

i know these aren't exactly tiki, but . . .

starfish!

these were easy and they're cute and i thought people would like them. i had to experiment with some casting techniques anyway.

i have some cool tiki stuff in the works, though.

mahalo!

pdrake
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-19 6:23 pm   Permalink

tiny bob . . . these will be earrings, that's why the back is hollowed out. they'll be quite lite.

ZeroTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-23 11:30 am   Permalink

nice bobs!

View Profile of ZeroTiki Send a personal message to ZeroTiki  Email ZeroTiki Goto the website of ZeroTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiMango
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-23 4:46 pm   Permalink

You are doing wonderful things with your metal castings! Looking forward to seeing all your final works. Is that a Shazam! or TCB lightning bolt?

View Profile of TikiMango Send a personal message to TikiMango  Email TikiMango     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation