FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts new work on an old guy . . . last page . .
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 Next Page )
new work on an old guy . . . last page . .
pdrake
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-23 5:04 pm   Permalink

thanks, zero, tikimango. haha, that's a shazaam logo. it will get a yellow enamel in the middle. i'm working on a line of superhero logos.

i'm still learning with metal. it's a tough medium to tackle.

TCB!

View Profile of pdrake Send a personal message to pdrake  Email pdrake     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pdrake
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-23 7:50 pm   Permalink

just in case anyone is interested in some of the steps involved . . .

this is step one and then step 9.

there's couple more steps, but they're not as time consuming. just stinky.

View Profile of pdrake Send a personal message to pdrake  Email pdrake     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pdrake
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-23 10:30 pm   Permalink

here is bob in most of his glory. i don't have the talent to take a nice picture at night. the sun, at least under my awning, has a nice diffusing light, i'll get to it tomorrow. the clip ons are all i had around the house tonight. i'm waiting for a shipment of findings from some chinese guy. stuff's always cheaper from asia.

i'm pretty happy with this little piece. i put the nickle there to give it some scale. it is pretty little.

MadDogMike
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2009-11-24 09:02 am   Permalink

Classic icon and well executed. Nice detail for that small of a size

GO! PERRY GO!

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Digitiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-24 10:52 am   Permalink

That is really impressive!! Bob cuff links would be cool too!!

View Profile of Digitiki Send a personal message to Digitiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pdrake
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-24 9:36 pm   Permalink

hey, thanks you guys. appreciate the encouragement.

digi, i could probably make a pair into cufflinks if you'd like. just have cast them without the hole on top and solder on the findings. easy peezy!

pdrake
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-29 11:48 am   Permalink

new sculpt of taiaha. had to make some design concessions due to size and eyesight.

almost done.

pdrake
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-29 4:43 pm   Permalink

think this is it. time to mold.

what do you think?

MadDogMike
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2009-11-29 5:01 pm   Permalink

I think it's killer! I suspect you are outsourcing your work to tiny little pygmies who carve with tiny little hand adzes

Good luck with the next steps.

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AlohaStation
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-29 6:02 pm   Permalink

You have been posting some really killer stuff lately, but I really like the last one!

View Profile of AlohaStation Send a personal message to AlohaStation  Goto the website of AlohaStation     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiMango
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-29 6:29 pm   Permalink

Great sculpt of the taiaha, that will look killer when completed.

View Profile of TikiMango Send a personal message to TikiMango  Email TikiMango     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pdrake
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-29 9:38 pm   Permalink

thanks, mike, i always appreciate your input. you have a keen eye.

tom, that's pretty high praise coming from a master like yourself. thanks.

tikimango, thanks, i hope you'll stay tuned for future stuff.

the wax is both easy and hard to carve. sometimes it's even harder to work with than bone. it's quite brittle. you can make the perfect cut/shape and it will break off whereas bone won't. i'm going to do a bone piece this week just because i miss the medium. (plus, it may show people that i can actually carve. i can never decide where to post stuff. carving or other crafts? i carve wax and cast metal. hummm . . . )

this piece was fun. i did it in pretty much one marathon carving session. i tried to sculpt it in clay first, but the mold failed and i said, "screw it, i'll just carve the wax". i know it's not as smooth and perfect as a machined piece, but i think it adds character. metal is interesting to work with. i know i can leave a few sharp edges to add detail and they'll work out during the finishing/buffing stage. that's an important thing to keep in mind. if you make it too smooth and perfect it may lose detail. well, in my work at least. wish i'd learned about this art about 20 years ago. now i have to learn a lot of stuff and it makes my brain hurt.

mahalo!

pdrake
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-30 6:42 pm   Permalink

these came out of the rough mold even nicer than the sculpt. will be pouring tomorrow.

pdrake
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-12-01 10:54 pm   Permalink

hoping to have these cast by this weekend. i hope i can do both silver and bronze. i know bronze is coming, both white and yellow. love to be able to cast a gold one. it's down this week!

pdrake
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-12-03 8:33 pm   Permalink

bronze taiaha. little blurry, but pics are hard at night with my camera.

shrunken head monkey sculpt . . .

just gotta put the cording through the mouth. still working out how that's going to happen.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation