FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts new work on an old guy . . . last page . .
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 Next Page )
new work on an old guy . . . last page . .
woofmutt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-05 12:51 am   Permalink

I dug the bone ones way back whenever and like the silver versions as well.* I like to see work which is Tiki in style but isn't yet another tiki.**

From your Marketplace thread...

I really liked these pendants quite a bit. In each one the brow and mouth seem light, the expression almost quizzical. A good balance with the solid, blunt weight of the face and the texture.

You've created strong, primitive looking pieces that aren't crude. It's something a lot of folks attempting the primitive never fully grasp.

*But I have no intention of piercing my ears.

**Calm down kittens, I'm not kockin'. Pert near all the Tiki stuff I make is just tikis.

View Profile of woofmutt Send a personal message to woofmutt  Email woofmutt Goto the website of woofmutt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pdrake
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-07 8:51 pm   Permalink

thank you ver much, woofmutt.

i'm having a really hard time photographing the bronze stuff. i put a patina on it and tumbled it for a few hours and this is the result.

View Profile of pdrake Send a personal message to pdrake  Email pdrake     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Paipo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-07 9:13 pm   Permalink

That patination adds a LOT to the look of the pieces - a bit like the difference between greenware and glazed pottery, the shadows in the recess really help to read the design. Sweet pieces Perry!

View Profile of Paipo Send a personal message to Paipo  Goto the website of Paipo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pdrake
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-09 4:11 pm   Permalink

thanks a lot, paipo. i have some really cool stuff in the molds right now.

thought i'd try my hand at clay, too.

View Profile of pdrake Send a personal message to pdrake  Email pdrake     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pdrake
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-09 6:55 pm   Permalink

well, it's getting a little smoother. i've never used clay before. well, i have used sculpey for really small stuff. i've never used plasticine.

[ This Message was edited by: pdrake 2009-06-09 18:56 ]

pdrake
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-09 8:32 pm   Permalink

what!???

now he's got ears. molding up comes tomorrow, then a res-culpt in wax.

i'd still like to get it smoother.

pdrake
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-09 10:14 pm   Permalink

oops, forgot i had a magic smoothing tool under my bed. worked okay.

Babalu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-09 10:47 pm   Permalink

Whoa! We've been busy tonight! Look at you go!

Looks like your answering all your own questions there just fine Perry - good job. If you have to finish tonight...look around the house - wood and metal spoons and knifes...rubber of some kind. a little mineral spirits on your finger if needed - rub.

Keep burning that midnight oil - your on a roll!

[ This Message was edited by: Babalu 2009-06-09 22:48 ]

View Profile of Babalu Send a personal message to Babalu  Email Babalu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pdrake
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-09 11:02 pm   Permalink

heh, thanks, babs. i'm done for the night. i used goof off to smooth it out. the rest of the smoothing will come with the wax. it's actually kind of small. only about 3 1/2" tall. going to save the inside of the mouth for wax. gotta watch those undercuts.

squid
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-10 02:35 am   Permalink

hey Perry-
Lookin' good so far! This works for me if it's a firm plasticine: Use progressive grits of wet/dry sandpaper. Start with 150 or 120. Sand lightly in a cross hatch or circular pattern when the plasticine is cool. It will ball up as you sand then you can brush it away. Just use small pieces of sandpaper because the clay gets trapped on the paper and you'll have to chuck it.

You can also side-stroke with a file (I use rifflers and needle files) in a cross hatching pattern. Just keep a wire brush handy to keep the file teeth clean.

You can finish it with a wire loop tool or like Baba said with mineral spirits. But Zippo lighter fluid works well too. Just use it sparingly on a lint-free rag or you'll gum up all your hard work. AND No smoking!!! POOOOF!!!

Plasticine will also take a coat of Crystal Clear very well. I do this to avoid sulphur contamination that occurs with some silicones, but it also creates a really nice finish.

Tear it up!!!

Ltd Edition Mugs & MORE!

Ltd Editions by Squid & Gecko

View Profile of squid Send a personal message to squid  Goto the website of squid     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2009-06-10 10:38 am   Permalink

PDrake, that sculpt is lookin' awesome!

While we have the experts in this thread, maybe someone can help me understand about silicone masters and such. Do you make a silicon master only when you plan to make several molds? Like a commercial run of several hundred? If you plan to make only one mold for less than 50 pulls, you just make your plaster mold from your plasticine original, right?

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
squid
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-10 12:10 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-06-10 10:38, MadDogMike wrote:
PDrake, that sculpt is lookin' awesome!

While we have the experts in this thread, maybe someone can help me understand about silicone masters and such. Do you make a silicon master only when you plan to make several molds? Like a commercial run of several hundred? If you plan to make only one mold for less than 50 pulls, you just make your plaster mold from your plasticine original, right?

Let me know if I'm hijacking here Perry and I'll shut up.

A rubber master (silicone or urethane) can be used to make just one mold if you want. And just to clarify, a rubber master is a duplicate of your original model, not a mold.
It's good for multiple molds.
Especially if your original model has some slight undercuts that you think might cause problems when pulling out your clay casting.

Otherwise you can make a plaster mold directly from your plasticine original. Just give it a clear coat first. Those oils leach into the plaster and inhibit the clay slip from drying.

View Profile of squid Send a personal message to squid  Goto the website of squid     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pdrake
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-10 12:14 pm   Permalink

no hijack at all. i was hoping someone else would pipe in. i think he meant specific for mug making. i'm not making a mug. i'm going to make a wax original from a silicone mold. wax doesn't come out of plaster too well. then i'll carve the detail. the plasticine doesn't hold the sharp, crisp lines i want. then i'll make a master silicone mold to make wax masters for my casting process.

a little different than mug making. i'll probably still make a urethane master in case anything happens to the mold.

MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2009-06-10 12:33 pm   Permalink

Thanks guys!

Holy cow Perry! That's a lot of steps, I'm nowhere near patient enough for that, I want results NOW!

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pdrake
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-11 4:35 pm   Permalink

well, i found enough birfday candles to melt down. finally have a hunk of wax that's nice enough to clean up and add all the detail to.

sorry it's a little blurry, nothing really pretty to see yet anyway.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation