FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts new work on an old guy . . . last page . .
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 Next Page )
new work on an old guy . . . last page . .
beadtiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-12-21 10:57 am   Permalink

Liver of sulpher is like magic - but where did that weird-o name come from?! I use it to "age" my store-bought silver jewelry pieces and I've used it on hand made silver clay pieces.

Your work is SO much fun. I really like the monkey!

View Profile of beadtiki Send a personal message to beadtiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pdrake
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-12-22 01:13 am   Permalink

thanks you very much. i was pretty happy with the monkey. it attracted a huge amount of attention when i wore it out. too bad bar people don't want to spend a hunnerd bucks on jewelry. it is a one of a kind. i'll make more soon in different genres.

i like to have fun with my work. i try to make stuff that i think will be popular and it usually falls by the wayside as i often come up with an idea and then tackle it immediately. that would be my adult OCD showing itself. had one this afternoon and i'm almost done with the sculpt.

it's been an interesting process on this piece. picasso used to work the way i did this. it was a type of deconstruction. he'd often paint an almost photo realistic painting and then deconstruct it to his cubism style.

i'm taking this from a pretty fine piece to a pretty accurate antique looking piece. i try and stretch myself on each new piece. can't learn if you keep doing the same thing. (you'll just get the same results.)

thanks and mahalo again!

View Profile of pdrake Send a personal message to pdrake  Email pdrake     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pdrake
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-12-24 1:53 pm   Permalink

sterling silver kaka poria. just under an ounce of silver. i'm almost done with the pounama stone i'm planning on setting in the center. still about half a mil too big.

info:

Kaka poria are small leg rings usually fashioned from bone or stone materials. They were used to confine the movements of young kaka (Nestor meridionalis) parrots, which, after being caught, were held prisoner by the leg rings. The captured kaka became tame and were then referred to as mokai (captive or pet). During the fowling season, these pet kaka were taken into the forests where they were made to cry out to attract wild birds. Wild kaka, being curious and sociable, were attracted in great numbers by the tame birds' cries.

Snaring methods
As the wild birds alighted on nearby branches, the mokai handlers would be lying in wait with mutu kaka (snares for parrots). Some birds would alight on a snare's carefully arranged horizontal perch, and a cord would be jerked trapping the legs of the birds against the protruding upright of the mutu kaka. The wild birds were summarily dispatched and bagged for the journey home.

Fine pendants
Kaka poria, when not attached to the legs of tame birds, were worn as pendants. Some, especially those fashioned from pounamu (New Zealand greenstone), required sophisticated technical knowledge to make because of the hardness of the material and the finely carved details such as the holes on the outer edges that accommodate the cord. Kaka poria often became valued family heirlooms and were passed down from generation to generation.

View Profile of pdrake Send a personal message to pdrake  Email pdrake     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-12-25 04:38 am   Permalink

Cool piece and info too Perry!

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Heath
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-12-28 9:28 pm   Permalink

Nice work Perry!

View Profile of Heath Send a personal message to Heath  Email Heath     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pdrake
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-08 01:38 am   Permalink

thanks, ben and thanks, heath. i'm still working on the inlay. i hope to have this one be a pretty fine piece of jewelry. i'm custom making the bail for it as well.

here's my latest little piece. the picture doesn't show it, but there's quite a bit of detail in the face so far. not as much as i want. just need to stop for the night.

MadDogMike
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2010-01-08 07:20 am   Permalink

Perry, I love your descriptive thread titles - "new...last page"

Nice lookin' little Marq

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pdrake
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-12 12:53 am   Permalink

just found a few chisels (great quality) that my dad had given me. totally forgot about them. it made me quite maudlin for a moment and then it was tempered by the fact that he was proud of me and supported my artistic endevours. i think i'm ready to start carving again. i'm sure he wouldn't want me to let anything keep me from being creative and happy. that's one of the things that kept him going, inspired him and pleased him. he always wanted those feelings to carry into his friends and family. there was not much more in the world that he loved more than a person's passion. whether it was for science, art, family, cooking or whatever, as long as you loved to do what you did, that was wonderful to him and he'd listen to you talk about it.

Jungle Trader
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-12 07:43 am   Permalink

That moai on the first page is exceedingly cool, and the Koru on 5, and the Marq, and the.............

Oki NiKsoKoWa
(Hello all my relatives)
TikiJungle.com

View Profile of Jungle Trader Send a personal message to Jungle Trader  Goto the website of Jungle Trader     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GROG
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2010-01-12 08:55 am   Permalink

GROG not know how you can sculpt stuff SO small. That crazy. It make GROG 'eyes hurt just thinking about it. Good job P-Dog.

View Profile of GROG Send a personal message to GROG      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pdrake
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-12 11:39 pm   Permalink

mahalo JT and grog. i'm taking a break from that tiny marq for a few days. my eyes are still recovering from being punished in the last few days. i'm concentrating on a large, palm marq.

i really appreciate the kind words of everyone. i think if you've taken time out of your day to post something nice in my thread it's worth me acknowledging that and appreciating it. it helps to keep a person be enthused and creative.

pdrake
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-30 8:24 pm   Permalink

finally got back to doing a little work. i know my dad would've wanted me to.

the mini marq . . .

i'll probably cast it in vanadium or cadmium or maybe plutonium. not sure yet.

thanks!!

Heath
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-30 9:34 pm   Permalink

Big or small, it doesn't matter, it still looks good!
Way to go Perry!

View Profile of Heath Send a personal message to Heath  Email Heath     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pdrake
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-30 11:25 pm   Permalink

thanks, heath. you've always got a great attitude. good for you. that pic is from earlier tonight. it needed more stuff done. now it's done. i'll take some pics tomorrow outside so i don't have to flash it. that blows out some of the detail. i know i'm not the best little carver, but i think i'm getting better.

i'm going to mold this one and then make another wax piece and put a lava rock finish on it to see how that looks. from my research a lot of the tahitian stuff was done in stone with quite a bit of texture.

pdrake
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-31 4:18 pm   Permalink

here's a better photo with more work done.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation