FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts Converting netted glass float balls into hanging lamps
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
Converting netted glass float balls into hanging lamps
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2009-08-23 09:11 am   Permalink

Looks good.
You are making things hard on yourself
with the way you are doing the electric
on this light.
Plus it costs more that way.
Look at the old floats and see how they did it.

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
KeithH
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-23 10:48 am   Permalink

I was just thinking this morning that I remembered the Alabi here in Portland had plastic float lights outside.

Last year I built a crystal ball table for my home halloween haunt and used a 12" clear ball. They sell a frosted white ball as well. You can get these with or without a neck - but the hole is smaller on the with neck version - and you can simply cut the neck off with a hacksaw or something.

Check these out -
neckless -
http://www.1000bulbs.com/White-Acrylic-Globe-Lamp-Covers-with-Opening/
with neck - http://www.1000bulbs.com/White-Acrylic-Globe-Lamp-Covers-with-Neck/

View Profile of KeithH Send a personal message to KeithH      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Polynesiac
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2009-08-23 5:34 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-08-23 10:48, KeithH wrote:
I was just thinking this morning that I remembered the Alabi here in Portland had plastic float lights outside.

Last year I built a crystal ball table for my home halloween haunt and used a 12" clear ball. They sell a frosted white ball as well. You can get these with or without a neck - but the hole is smaller on the with neck version - and you can simply cut the neck off with a hacksaw or something.

Check these out -
neckless - http://www.1000bulbs.com/White-Acrylic-Globe-Lamp-Covers-with-Opening/
with neck - http://www.1000bulbs.com/White-Acrylic-Globe-Lamp-Covers-with-Neck/

Great links! Quite a price jump after 12 inch diameter, but sweet jesus! 20" diameter!!!! That would be AWESOME.
I'll bet you could spray (or airbrish) on some color, then drop in a colored bulb, net it up and you're done! I think I got a small one lying around somewhere from HOme depot...

OMG! I'm on Instagram!

View Profile of Polynesiac Send a personal message to Polynesiac  Email Polynesiac Goto the website of Polynesiac     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
1961surf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-24 10:12 am   Permalink

I hear what you are saying tikiship, unfortunately every vintage glass float
ball lamp I have seen is hanging high up in the ceiling so I have no way to really
see how the electrical socket is done or the cover cap that goes over the hole.

View Profile of 1961surf Send a personal message to 1961surf  Email 1961surf Goto the website of 1961surf     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hakalugi
Site Administrator

Posted: 2009-08-24 10:25 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-08-24 10:12, 1961surf wrote:
I hear what you are saying tikiship, unfortunately every vintage glass float
ball lamp I have seen is hanging high up in the ceiling so I have no way to really
see how the electrical socket is done or the cover cap that goes over the hole.

Typically no "cover cap". It's not really needed unless you're looking to hang the float outdoors.

View Profile of Hakalugi Send a personal message to Hakalugi      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
1961surf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-27 1:51 pm   Permalink

Lugi-Looks more like a finished product regardless of how they did the vintage
float lamps...interior or exterior.I guess I am just a detail orientated person.
Bongofury finished his off for Oasis with a round cork at the top which looked good
and I had not seen done before.

View Profile of 1961surf Send a personal message to 1961surf  Email 1961surf Goto the website of 1961surf     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hakalugi
Site Administrator

Posted: 2009-08-27 2:29 pm   Permalink

Irregardless of how they used to do it, unless it's for outdoor use and you need to keep out rainwater, I feel that the caps look too slick and polished and not enough nautical flotsam and jetsam. I too am detail oriented and that's why I prefer no cover cap, but that may be just me. The big cork stopper idea is a good one. It's nautical and it's not going to look like it came from LampsPlus.

View Profile of Hakalugi Send a personal message to Hakalugi      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swamp Fire
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-27 5:15 pm   Permalink

Saw this 12" vintage float (no light) at an antique mall today, in Ventura. Going for $180, seemed a bit high to me?

The Art of Doug Horne
http://www.swampfirelounge.com/

View Profile of Swamp Fire Send a personal message to Swamp Fire  Email Swamp Fire Goto the website of Swamp Fire     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-27 5:49 pm   Permalink

1961 Surf,

I would seek out Bongo Fury, the master of all tiki-lamp-glass-float light projects. His stuff at Oasis this year was great.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trad'r Bill
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-27 6:59 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-08-27 17:15, Swamp Fire wrote:
Saw this 12" vintage float (no light) at an antique mall today, in Ventura. Going for $180, seemed a bit high to me?

This looks like a nice one - I've noticed the marking makes a big difference on price range. If it has a rare marking, it may be worth $180... if not, I agree it sounds high.

Trad'r Bill

View Profile of Trad'r Bill Send a personal message to Trad'r Bill  Email Trad'r Bill     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
1961surf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-30 12:14 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-08-27 14:29, Hakalugi wrote:
Irregardless of how they used to do it, unless it's for outdoor use and you need to keep out rainwater, I feel that the caps look too slick and polished and not enough nautical flotsam and jetsam. I too am detail oriented and that's why I prefer no cover cap, but that may be just me. The big cork stopper idea is a good one. It's nautical and it's not going to look like it came from LampsPlus.

I hear what you are saying Lugi and I agree with you, however the first four of them
are going to be outside in the elements close to the beach.The next set I do will be
for the interior .I did however not paint or coat the cap so it will eventually start
rusting ,giving it a more rustic look...no pun intended .I looked at one of the caps
yesterday it is already starting to turn , just as I thought it would.

1961surf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-09-21 10:00 pm   Permalink

Here are a couple more glass floats with the holes cut and ready to be frosted
on the inside.More pics and info to follow tomorrow.

Beachbumz
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2009-09-22 12:32 am   Permalink

Those are mighty fine balls you have there 1961Surf...

For anyone interested I saw this float on ebay and it has the whole already cut out.. has a buy it now..

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=310167593019

I know this isn't the marketplace but I figured there enough people looking for these..

Aloha

BB

"TikiPop" On Instagram

View Profile of Beachbumz Send a personal message to Beachbumz  Email Beachbumz Goto the website of Beachbumz     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
1961surf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-02 12:16 am   Permalink

I have been looking for some original NOS vintage corks for quite a while and I finally
found a small quantity of 4" diameter and 2" thick corks to use for some lamps and
nautical decor for my back yard.This size is perfect for quite a few nautical applications
and for some reason darn hard to find .When I say hard to find....I have been scouring
estate sales, garage sales , flea markets and the internet for over 11 months before I
found these ..... and I could definitely use alot more.After alot of work , I am pleased
with the results .Here are some pics of finished lamps for yah!
Whatta yah think ??

A couple corks used on this one for a little more nautical look

The red at night looks absolutely incredible

Cobalt blue glass looking xlnt as well

And this is what they start looking like after about three zombies

TikiGabe661
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-10-02 3:09 pm   Permalink

Those lights are awesome! Good job bro!

View Profile of TikiGabe661 Send a personal message to TikiGabe661      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation