FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Locating Tiki Trader Vic's (Benson Hotel), Portland, OR (restaurant)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Trader Vic's (Benson Hotel), Portland, OR (restaurant)
hang10tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-12-19 03:15 am   Permalink

My wifes Dad use to put down a few here quite often back in the day, dammmmm i wish he had an i-Phone back then...

View Profile of hang10tiki Send a personal message to hang10tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-03-14 4:59 pm   Permalink

I just got a nice feature matchbook from the Trader Vic's in Portland. I have not seen one like this before with the tapa.

Or the design of the feature sticks.

Anybody know if these designs were used elsewhere?

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikidon
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-07-13 11:31 am   Permalink

Found this online

View Profile of tikidon Send a personal message to tikidon      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-07-13 2:31 pm   Permalink

Judging by the cars, the "Before" photo must have been taken in the 80s, when the A-frame entrance and the great sign were already gone

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Wachee
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-07-14 1:37 pm   Permalink

i just thought I'd post this link to the new Trader Vic's Portland in this thread, just to make it easier to find:
http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=43104&forum=2

I think they've done an exceptional job with the new place, wouldn't you agree?

[ This Message was edited by: Tiki Wachee 2012-07-14 14:29 ]

View Profile of Tiki Wachee Send a personal message to Tiki Wachee      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-09-28 9:01 pm   Permalink

Just got this postcard with a great view of the Trader Vic's features on the old Benson Hotel building.

The overhead scene.

Close up of the Trader Vic's corner with the torches lit.

Cool stuff.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-09-29 06:05 am   Permalink

Judging by the cars, the change from the A-frame entrance to the look above happened already in the late 60s/ early 70s

It might be of interest that the "thatched roof" on the corner seems to have been made of the same weather-resistent metal fronds that the wonderful SAFARI CLUB in the little lumber town of Estacada uses:

Main Street Estacada

Humu and Naomi under the sign

This place is taxidermy heaven

This stuff clearly survived the rainy Northwest climate much better than real palm frond thatching would have.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikidon
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-09-29 11:14 am   Permalink

I was just at the Safari Club last week and the recently painted thatch appears to be made of Tin. The Alibi in Portland has the same painted tin thatch as well.

View Profile of tikidon Send a personal message to tikidon      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-09-30 02:16 am   Permalink

Aaah, the Alibi, of course!

Looks like they repainted the Safari Club "palm fronds" and added appropriate art to the entrance.
I believe it is under new, youthful management now. Anything that keeps that place going is good with me:
http://www.legendarysafariclub.com/index-1.html

This species of North-Western palm seems akin to the Wildwood palm tree variety :

http://roadsidenut.wordpress.com/2012/09/21/day-2-a-perfect-summer-day-in-nj/

[ This Message was edited by: bigbrotiki 2012-09-30 09:06 ]

Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-10-03 5:53 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-09-29 06:05, bigbrotiki wrote:

Humu and Naomi under the sign

The heck with the tin thatch story, you had double date with Humu and Naomi at the Safari Club? Nice!!

DC

bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-10-03 10:07 pm   Permalink

...and they got really scared and I had to comfort them !

Here's lil' Humu and BIG polar bear:

tigertail777
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-10-04 10:52 pm   Permalink

When did they put the Polar bear behind glass? It used to be out in the open on a pedestal that was supposed to resemble an iceburg. Obviously I have not visited in many years. Those stuffed animals kinda freaked me out and made me sad.

View Profile of tigertail777 Send a personal message to tigertail777  Email tigertail777 Goto the website of tigertail777     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-09-18 3:39 pm   Permalink

Found a few more images from Trader Vic's at the Benson Hotel on-line. Some cool-e-o stuff.

Color photos that came from the shoot done for the postcard.

With people..

Without people

Another view of the exterior.

A red awning has been added to the entrance, and look at that Tiki on the sidewalk towards the corner.

Cool shot of the bar, check out those Tiki bowls on the right of the bar.

A strange looking simian Tiki on the entrance sign.

Signature Trader Vic's Tiki.

DC

heylownine
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2014-10-08 4:00 pm   Permalink

Not that there's been a ton of change on this corner, but since Val and I are staying at the Benson this week, we had to take a couple of photos. These are from October 7, 2014.

Kevin

http://twitter.com/heylownine

View Profile of heylownine Send a personal message to heylownine  Email heylownine Goto the website of heylownine     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-10-08 4:08 pm   Permalink

Thanks Kevin! nice to see how it looks today.

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation