FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving Tiki 65 carvings Update 04/26/2011 New pics & links Pg 6
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
Tiki 65 carvings Update 04/26/2011 New pics & links Pg 6
KeithH
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-15 9:13 pm   Permalink

Not much to say that hasn't already been said here.

I love your work so far - especially the big guy on the right! I want one!

View Profile of KeithH Send a personal message to KeithH      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikilizard
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-16 11:08 am   Permalink

Sweet! Outstanding detail and a nice flow. Would love to see some of your sculptures to see where you draw your talent from. Keep up the great work.

Facebook

View Profile of Tikilizard Send a personal message to Tikilizard  Email Tikilizard Goto the website of Tikilizard     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tiki 65
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-06-17 04:19 am   Permalink

Thank you to all of my fellow TCers. Your response has been over whelming. It's great to read all this great feedback. You're all to kind.

Sorry for the slow reply but working two jobs now to pay for the Hukilau trip. I'll try to keep up with my posting as I carve some more.

A big Thanks again to you all and Aloha Station for his needed nudge.

Mahalo
Tiki 65

View Profile of tiki 65 Send a personal message to tiki 65  Goto the website of tiki 65     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tok-tok
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-21 1:26 pm   Permalink

Hello there,

You really have an eye for it. This is what I wanted to say. Compared to my first attempts these are perfect from the start. I have scrolled through your flickr photostream. Are you a professional sculptor?

View Profile of tok-tok Send a personal message to tok-tok      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-21 7:34 pm   Permalink

Tiki65, Welcome to TC, Glad to have you here finally. Not sure how long you have been carving, but Definitely long enough to be comfortable enough in your skills to create some Awesome Detail. Excellent designs and traditionals as well. Love that you aren't afraid to add your own twists to the ancient pieces. I would love to see the tools youn use as well as your work space?
Cheers

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tiki 65
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-06-21 7:54 pm   Permalink

Tok-tok: Thanks for the bump and compliments. As a answer to your question I would say No and Yes. No it's not my profession but a passion. I wish I could move to the tropics and work on my carving skills. But the answer is also yes because I've sold a few pieces and produced some for production.

Here's a few pieces not on flickr

The Twisted Bat is a personal project (much red tape to make it legit)
The bottom two tikis were a promo for Goodguys car shows but they lost interest and never went any further.

Tikilizard: Here is a pic of some recent sculpts. I'll have to dig for some of the older stuff

Thanks again to everyone including the ones just looking

Mahalo
Tiki 65

[ This Message was edited by: tiki 65 2009-06-21 19:55 ]

View Profile of tiki 65 Send a personal message to tiki 65  Goto the website of tiki 65     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tiki 65
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-06-21 8:22 pm   Permalink

Benzart: Thank you.
I saw you Saturday morning at Hukilau but didn't want to bother you. Plus you had a sharp object in your hand
And again at the Mai Kai that night but wasn't the place to talk shop.

The piece you did that Bob Ho (Tiki Hana) had around his neck was spectacular. The pics on the forum didn't do it justice.

I use a lot of different tools. Like most all beginners I bought some cheap stuff to make sure I could even do this.
Now I'm starting to buy better quality tools. I'd say every piece gets touched by my dremel tool. But my hook knife comes in a close second. Especially with the smaller stuff. I'm wanting to tackle some big pieces next. So some better chisels are going to make there way to the garage. I'll try to get a pic of tools and space together.

Thanks again

Mahalo
Tiki 65

Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-22 03:28 am   Permalink

Man, I can't wait to se what you do with more better tools, I'm droolin' already!
Really nice stuff.

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
phinz
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-22 2:16 pm   Permalink

Quote:

Hey! I recognize that guy 2nd from the right...

View Profile of phinz Send a personal message to phinz      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
squid
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-22 4:22 pm   Permalink

Twisted Bat for me please!

View Profile of squid Send a personal message to squid  Goto the website of squid     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tiki 65
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-07-13 6:23 pm   Permalink

Did a quicky carve just for giggles. Haven't had a lot of time to carve. This was the first time in the shop since Hukilau.

I did the letters a few months ago.

Inspired by Ed Roths Surfite.

As fast as it was carved it was stained and painted. Box has original art.

Here's it all together.

As Always Thanks for looking.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/tiki65/

Aloha
Tiki 65

Clarita
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-14 11:36 am   Permalink

Hi tiki65, i just discovered your thread, very cool first tikis indeed! i went trhu your flickr too, is the palm tree wood?

View Profile of Clarita Send a personal message to Clarita  Goto the website of Clarita     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tiki 65
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-07-14 12:04 pm   Permalink

Hey Clarita, The palm tree on the chalk board, the Aloha Pineapple and the Trader Scotts' sign were carved from MDF. It's like particle board but finer particles. Stays together better and less likely to chip. Very forgiving for a beginner such as myself.

Thanks for looking
Tiki 65

finkdaddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-14 12:18 pm   Permalink

I don't want to hear any of this "beginner" B.S. anymore. Got it?!
Amazing work!

View Profile of finkdaddy Send a personal message to finkdaddy  Email finkdaddy Goto the website of finkdaddy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tiki 65
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-07-14 1:11 pm   Permalink

Finkdaddy: Thanks again for the compliment.

If not a beginner then a "Less Seasoned Carver" . But by "NO" means a master of the art.

Everyone has a start .....................but does anyone ever stop learning?

That's why I've lurked for so long collecting images and ideas. Reference is "KING"

Every artist on TC is a great source of inspiration in some way or another. No matter how small or great the contribution.

Mahalo
Tiki 65

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation