FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums ╗ ╗ Tiki Music ╗ ╗ Lounge music forums?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
Lounge music forums?
MrFab
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-01-06 11:02 pm   Permalink

Here's one so new, no-one's even posted anything on it yet:

http://kiddierecordsweeklyforum.yuku.com/forums/73/t/SPACE-AGE-POP-MUSIC-SHARING-FORUM.html

View Profile of MrFab Send a personal message to MrFab  Goto the website of MrFab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hakalugi
Site Administrator

Posted: 2010-01-07 08:44 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-01-06 23:02, MrFab wrote:
Here's one so new, no-one's even posted anything on it yet:

I deflowered it.

View Profile of Hakalugi Send a personal message to Hakalugi      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiG
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-07 09:02 am   Permalink

Now here's a new genre? -soundbite collages taken exclusively off of vintage kiddie records. The comical juxtaposition potential alone warrants a go at it.

Maybe somebody already does this?

tiki since '67!

View Profile of TikiG Send a personal message to TikiG  Email TikiG     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MrFab
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-01-08 1:07 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-01-07 09:02, TikiG wrote:
Now here's a new genre? -soundbite collages taken exclusively off of vintage kiddie records. The comical juxtaposition potential alone warrants a go at it.

Maybe somebody already does this?

The Bran Flakes (based now in Toronto, I believe?) do quite a bit of just that:
http://www.thebranflakes.com/

Much fun they are.

I used some Babar action taken off kiddierecords.com:
http://fairtilizer.com/track/63656
and after WFMU played it a couple of days ago I heard from a New York museum curater who put together a Babar exhibit last year, and she's sending the song off to the old French guy (the son of Babar's creator) who wrote some of the Babar books!

[ This Message was edited by: MrFab 2010-01-08 13:08 ]

View Profile of MrFab Send a personal message to MrFab  Goto the website of MrFab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Carmine Verandah
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2010-01-08 4:53 pm   Permalink

La Verandah had somehow thought tiki was a subset of exotica, which in turn she presumed was related to lounge. One never knows, does one?

But this is coming from a woman working up a raqs sharqi routine to that lovely vintage Latin-flavored lounge song known as "Sway."

View Profile of Carmine Verandah Send a personal message to Carmine Verandah      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-09 08:37 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-01-08 16:53, Carmine Verandah wrote:
exotica, which in turn she presumed was related to lounge.

I have always thought of Exotica as a subset of lounge.

View Profile of lucas vigor Send a personal message to lucas vigor      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Beach Bum Scott
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-11 3:59 pm   Permalink

Very intresting reading...

I grew up listening to Lounge/"Rat Pack" from my mom. Surf,Jazz/Exotica,Rock-a-Billy style from my dad
Then spent my 20's with Surf/Punk & Reggae and got sucked in to the Buffett as a SCUBA Inst. but still was listening to what I grew up hearing.
My friends thought I was very strange.
At some point in my early 30's I started to dig the "Latin/Cuban Sound" that Bossa/Mambo/Cugat stuff from the Ricky Ricardo pre Bay of Pigs days.

Now that I'm pushin 50 I am really liking Koop's Cocktail Nation, The Bachelor Pad, Buddies Lounge and of course The Quiet Village pod casts.
I listen to them at work where most of the folks are into hippy/jamgrass bands and get lots of strange looks... at least the owner of the store likes jazz.

But as much as I still dig the Surf/Rock-a-Billy to me it's just a little to high enegry even the first wave of surf...for my Basment Bar when the lights are dimmed.

View Profile of Beach Bum Scott Send a personal message to Beach Bum Scott      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
koopkooper
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-18 02:22 am   Permalink

Beach Bum Scott knows where it's at! Great to see you dig all the podcasts out there man.

View Profile of koopkooper Send a personal message to koopkooper  Email koopkooper Goto the website of koopkooper     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Zeta
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2010-06-25 5:10 pm   Permalink

I searched Tiki Central but couldn't find a better place to post this:

www.spaceagepop.com

View Profile of Zeta Send a personal message to Zeta  Goto the website of Zeta     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
skullisland
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-06-25 8:10 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-01-09 08:37, lucas vigor wrote:
Quote:

On 2010-01-08 16:53, Carmine Verandah wrote:
exotica, which in turn she presumed was related to lounge.

I have always thought of Exotica as a subset of lounge.

Exotica is more a subset of orchestral music than anything. Les Baxter recorded the first Exotica album Ritual of the Savage in 52 (?) that contained his song Quiet Village. Martin Denny recorded it a few years later arranged for a small group to play. It was when he re-recorded it around 1959 in stereo that it really caught fire. The people of Hawaii dug it, and soon the whole nation was digging it, so it really didn't branch off of anything but itself

View Profile of skullisland Send a personal message to skullisland      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-25 8:54 pm   Permalink

I totally disagree. Most bands and artists that played the original Exotica of the 1950's and early 60's were from the jazz-pop or easy listenting world.. What we now call "lounge". Les Baxter was really one of the few artists of this genre that used a large orchestra. The rest were small combos. Martin Denny, Arthur Lyman, Cal Tjader, etc..though some of these artist's piano stylings were influenced by Debussy or Ravel, I would hardly consider exotica to be a subset of orchestral music.

"yer jus not tuned into the series of tubes yet, let it soak in".

[ This Message was edited by: lucas vigor 2010-06-25 20:57 ]

View Profile of lucas vigor Send a personal message to lucas vigor      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
skullisland
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-06-26 03:58 am   Permalink

Well Les Baxter was orchestral, and he recorded the first Exotica album so...keep in mind that small group jazz as well as bands like Denny's really took off in the late 50's into the early 60's. By this time Ritual of the Savage was already 10 years old.

View Profile of skullisland Send a personal message to skullisland      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
skullisland
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-06-26 04:00 am   Permalink

Well Les Baxter was orchestral, and he recorded the first Exotica album so...keep in mind that small group jazz as well as bands like Denny's really took off in the late 50's into the early 60's. By this time Ritual of the Savage was already 10 years old.

lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-26 07:58 am   Permalink

All Exotica is a form of popular music. Classical/orchestral music is not. That's the crucial difference. For example, just because led Zepellin had a orchestra on the song "kashmir" does not make them classical/orchestral.And PS, I am well aware of the time frame involving lounge music, jazz, exotica.

"yer jus not tuned into the series of tubes yet, let it soak in".

[ This Message was edited by: lucas vigor 2010-06-26 08:00 ]

skullisland
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-06-26 09:34 am   Permalink

I think your missing my point, I'm not saying Exotica is Orchestral in nature, I was pointing out that Exotica sprang "out" of an album that was orchestral. Martin Denny was most defiantly a jazz based group as well as most Exotica that we think of.
Cheers

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation