FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Drinks and Food » » So what's the latest on Commercial Orgeat?
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
So what's the latest on Commercial Orgeat?
kick_the_reverb
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-22 09:28 am   Permalink

Hello all,
Yesterday I spent some time reading old posts about Orgeat. The reason was that I used Trader Vic's newer Orgeat in a presntation I did, and what a surprise (not), it's bad. Not nearly as thick as the old one, and the taste was very weak in the drink.
I have some Monin, and that is what I originaly used for my drinks, but I resent them for changing their syrup line, and rather find something else.
Torani is out of the question, I know what it tastes like, and I'm not going to use it (I did a small batch of 50/50 Monin/Torani for Mai Tais a couple of years ago, but I'll never use it by itself).
What are you all using now?
I am not interested in homemade syrup as answers to this thread, although I'm sure it's great.

Thanks,
Ran

View Profile of kick_the_reverb Send a personal message to kick_the_reverb  Email kick_the_reverb Goto the website of kick_the_reverb     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Gnomon
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2009-07-22 12:32 pm   Permalink

At Touch of Europe you can get...

Teísseíre

as well as...

Rieme almond syrup.

Not that this really applies anymore, but these two orgeats are French as is the orgeat that Victor Bergeron specified in his Mai Tai recipe. The French style orgeat of today may have no resemblance to what it was in the 1940s. I use Teísseíre when I don't make my own.

View Profile of The Gnomon Send a personal message to The Gnomon      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
quickiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-22 2:48 pm   Permalink

Rum Balls on a previous post has a recipe for NW Tiki Kon Mai Tai, which uses Amaretto di Saronno instead of orgeat, and it is surprisingly good, although the almond has a completely different flavor profile. I've been put off by Torani because it tastes overly artificial and leaves a weird aftertaste in my mouth.

View Profile of quickiki Send a personal message to quickiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thejab
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2009-07-22 4:08 pm   Permalink

Amaretto is an Italian liqueur flavored with herbs and fruits soaked in apricot kernel oil, according to the Disaronno web site. Not really an almond liqueur, though some say it tastes somewhat like almonds.

I still use Trader Vic's brand, though I know it's probably not the best, it's the easiest for me to find. But my bottle is probably a couple years old so may be before they changed it.

[ This Message was edited by: thejab 2009-07-22 16:10 ]

View Profile of thejab Send a personal message to thejab  Goto the website of thejab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
CincyTikiCraig
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-22 5:07 pm   Permalink

I had been using Torani or Monin Orgeat for some time simply because it's all that I could find here in Cincinnati. The Monin was the better of the two but neither of the syrups were really great IMHO. I ordered a French brand online recently, Routin 1883 Orgeat, and it was a total epiphany for me. Routin is an old French syrup producer that is located in the Alps and their syrups are a cut above others that I've tried. Their Orgeat is complex with a wonderful mouth feel. My Mai Tai's are really world class now thanks to the use of a better brand of Orgeat.

FYI-I also bought Routin's cinnamon, raspberry and vanilla syrup, all of which are top notch. Routin comes in big 1 liter bottles, so you have to replace them less frequently.

If i am traveling or somewhere that I can't get orgeat I use amaretto with a dash of simple syrup. I call it Emergency Orgeat.

[ This Message was edited by: CincyTikiCraig 2009-07-22 17:09 ]

View Profile of CincyTikiCraig Send a personal message to CincyTikiCraig      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kick_the_reverb
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-22 10:01 pm   Permalink

I just looked through my inventory and found that besides the almost gone old glass bottle TV, I have another unopened one, plus two unopened bottles:
1. Rosata from Israel
2. Orzata from Italy
Both look very unpromising with their ingredients...
All of the above can't be counted on for the future.
The Routin 1883 sounds like something I should try. Touch of Europe offerings look nice too, but more expensive.
Keep 'em coming please
Thanks,
Ran

[ This Message was edited by: kick_the_reverb 2009-07-22 22:02 ]

[ This Message was edited by: kick_the_reverb 2009-07-22 22:06 ]

View Profile of kick_the_reverb Send a personal message to kick_the_reverb  Email kick_the_reverb Goto the website of kick_the_reverb     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Shaun of theTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-22 11:33 pm   Permalink

I've been using Sonoma Syrup's Orgeat "infused" simple syrup. Its vanilla taste is stronger than its almond component but it does the job.

I've been tempted to buy the Small Hand Foods orgeat that's made in SF but it's quite expensive and all-organic (as in very perishable).

[ This Message was edited by: Shaun of theTiki 2009-07-22 23:35 ]

View Profile of Shaun of theTiki Send a personal message to Shaun of theTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unga Bunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-23 07:59 am   Permalink

You guys should try Entner-Stuart Almond Premium Syrup.
It's made from Maui sugar.
Good stuff.

http://www.baristaproshop.com/catalog/product.php?productid=176

View Profile of Unga Bunga Send a personal message to Unga Bunga      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kick_the_reverb
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-23 1:15 pm   Permalink

Thanks for the tip Unga Bunga, that looks like another good option.
Ran

Hakalugi
Site Administrator

Posted: 2009-07-23 1:26 pm   Permalink

For those of you listing an orgeat to try, can you confirm if it contains rose water or orange-flower water, or neither? I'm under the impression that some brands of orgeat neglect to include this important ingredient.

[ This Message was edited by: Hakalugi 2009-07-23 13:30 ]

View Profile of Hakalugi Send a personal message to Hakalugi      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GatorRob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-23 4:14 pm   Permalink

I can also vouch for the Teisseire Orgeat. Nice smooth almond flavor with none of the "burn" I've experienced with some other brands. It's a little pricey, but I think it's worth it. Homemade is better, but has to be used so quickly.

View Profile of GatorRob Send a personal message to GatorRob      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bongo Bungalow
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-23 6:18 pm   Permalink

You mean the Collins Brand orgeat I've been using isn't very good? I could do better?

View Profile of Bongo Bungalow Send a personal message to Bongo Bungalow  Email Bongo Bungalow Goto the website of Bongo Bungalow     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kick_the_reverb
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-23 8:38 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-07-23 13:26, Hakalugi wrote:
For those of you listing an orgeat to try, can you confirm if it contains rose water or orange-flower water, or neither? I'm under the impression that some brands of orgeat neglect to include this important ingredient.

[ This Message was edited by: Hakalugi 2009-07-23 13:30 ]

Thanks Hakalugi, that's a very good point.

Ran

Rum Balls
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2009-07-24 05:50 am   Permalink

Quote:
You guys should try Entner-Stuart Almond Premium Syrup.
It's made from Maui sugar.

This company's now located an hour down I-5 from Portland in Albany. Don't know who, if anyone, sells their stuff retail around here. Not only do they make an almond syrup, but I also see on their website that they make cane syrups...and list a passion fruit syrup! More investigation is needed!

http://www.entnerstuartsyrups.com/html/Products.html

View Profile of Rum Balls Send a personal message to Rum Balls      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unga Bunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-24 12:22 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-07-23 13:26, Hakalugi wrote:

Yes , good question.
I just threw out the Entner-Stuart bottle and won't know until I buy another.
I just read my Trader Vic's (plastic) bottle and it does not contain either of these. In fact, it looks like there's a lot of nasty crap in it, but no rose water or orange-flower water. Interesting.

View Profile of Unga Bunga Send a personal message to Unga Bunga      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation