FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food So what's the latest on Commercial Orgeat?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
So what's the latest on Commercial Orgeat?
Unga Bunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-24 12:25 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-07-24 05:50, Rum Balls wrote:

This company's now located an hour down I-5 from Portland in Albany. Don't know who, if anyone, sells their stuff retail around here. Not only do they make an almond syrup, but I also see on their website that they make cane syrups...and list a passion fruit syrup! More investigation is needed!

http://www.entnerstuartsyrups.com/html/Products.html

I didn't see the passion fruit. From this company it should be a winner.
And thanks for the heads up on that.

View Profile of Unga Bunga Send a personal message to Unga Bunga      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thejab
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2009-07-24 2:04 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-07-22 22:01, kick_the_reverb wrote:
I just looked through my inventory and found that besides the almost gone old glass bottle TV, I have another unopened one, plus two unopened bottles:
1. Rosata from Israel
2. Orzata from Italy
Both look very unpromising with their ingredients...

I'm curious what the Orzata tastes like. Have you compared it to Orgeat?

View Profile of thejab Send a personal message to thejab  Goto the website of thejab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kick_the_reverb
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-24 3:10 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-07-24 14:04, thejab wrote:
Quote:

On 2009-07-22 22:01, kick_the_reverb wrote:
I just looked through my inventory and found that besides the almost gone old glass bottle TV, I have another unopened one, plus two unopened bottles:
1. Rosata from Israel
2. Orzata from Italy
Both look very unpromising with their ingredients...

I'm curious what the Orzata tastes like. Have you compared it to Orgeat?

I haven't opened the bottles yet, but I assume it won't be anything special.
If I open these up I'll try them in a cocktail and post the results. I doubt I'll try them by themselves, as I'm not a big fan of the Orgeat taste by itself.

Ran

View Profile of kick_the_reverb Send a personal message to kick_the_reverb  Email kick_the_reverb Goto the website of kick_the_reverb     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kick_the_reverb
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-24 3:32 pm   Permalink

Here's a quote from Beachbum Berry that he just sent me:

Aloha Ran,

I totally agree; the hassle of making orgeat isn't worth it if you only use a dash or two once in a while. Purists may object to my favorite brands because they do have artificial ingredients in them, but I judge on taste alone (hey, we're not drinking cocktails for health reasons!)

I like two brands: The absolute best-tasting is Premiere Essence from Roskin Incorporated, made by Bob Esmino -- who actually was a bar manager at Steve Crane's Kon-Tiki restaurants back in the 1960s. Unfortunately you have to order it, as it hasn't hit stores yet:

http://roskinincorporated.com/tropicalmixes.html

I also like Fee Brothers orgeat. But distribution is spotty on the West Coast. Easy to order by phone, though. They're friendly and cool about not having to buy large amounts: http://www.feebrothers.com/Page.asp?Script=2

I've heard good things about Tessiere, but haven't tried it yet....

Feel free to repost this on TC.....

Okole maluna,

Jeff

View Profile of kick_the_reverb Send a personal message to kick_the_reverb  Email kick_the_reverb Goto the website of kick_the_reverb     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pablus
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-24 4:05 pm   Permalink

Annnnhhh, what does the Bum know?
He likes Fee Bros. Falernum over Taylors - he's officially a-fee-shill.

Actually - mahalo for posting that, ktr. I'm always looking for better orgeat than this giant plastic bottle of creamy goo that Koka Nut found somewhere.

View Profile of pablus Send a personal message to pablus  Email pablus Goto the website of pablus     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kona Chris
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-30 9:57 pm   Permalink

So should I stock up on the glass bottled TV's orgeat that a local store still has for $4.99 a bottle?

Chris

View Profile of Kona Chris Send a personal message to Kona Chris      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kick_the_reverb
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-31 09:47 am   Permalink

Probably, sounds like a good deal. I'm sure some of the other brands mentioned here are much better, but most people were using the old style TV with success, so I see no reason not to.
Ran

The Mayor Of Exotica
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-31 10:10 am   Permalink

I have been reaaaaallly happy with the orzatta from Ferrara, which is based in NYC. They use sugar instead of corn syrup, and the taste and texture is a step up from Fee's, imhop. I have only found it at one store in Boston.

View Profile of The Mayor Of Exotica Send a personal message to The Mayor Of Exotica  Email The Mayor Of Exotica Goto the website of The Mayor Of Exotica     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GatorRob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-02 2:51 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-07-24 15:32, kick_the_reverb wrote:
Here's a quote from Beachbum Berry that he just sent me:

Aloha Ran,

I totally agree; the hassle of making orgeat isn't worth it if you only use a dash or two once in a while. Purists may object to my favorite brands because they do have artificial ingredients in them, but I judge on taste alone (hey, we're not drinking cocktails for health reasons!)

I like two brands: The absolute best-tasting is Premiere Essence from Roskin Incorporated, made by Bob Esmino -- who actually was a bar manager at Steve Crane's Kon-Tiki restaurants back in the 1960s. Unfortunately you have to order it, as it hasn't hit stores yet:

http://roskinincorporated.com/tropicalmixes.html

I REALLY hate to disagree with the Bum (a second time), but...

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=21769&forum=10&vpost=343028

Tasting it straight about made me gag.

View Profile of GatorRob Send a personal message to GatorRob      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unga Bunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-02 2:57 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-07-30 21:57, Kona Chris wrote:
So should I stock up on the glass bottled TV's orgeat that a local store still has for $4.99 a bottle?
Chris

Chris, I would be all over it.
Check out the expiration date.

View Profile of Unga Bunga Send a personal message to Unga Bunga      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bewarethe151
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-08-03 12:43 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-07-31 10:10, The Mayor Of Exotica wrote:
I have been reaaaaallly happy with the orzatta from Ferrara, which is based in NYC. They use sugar instead of corn syrup, and the taste and texture is a step up from Fee's, imhop. I have only found it at one store in Boston.

The Ferrara Orzata is a high quality product but it has a much weaker almond taste than the older TV, IMO. The Premier Essence (BTW, I'm not a fan) has the almond "intensity" correct. In this light, I see why Beachbum Berry recommends it. But, overall it is a very chemical laden product.

[ This Message was edited by: bewarethe151 2009-08-03 12:44 ]

View Profile of bewarethe151 Send a personal message to bewarethe151      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mick9
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-08-04 11:30 am   Permalink

I only have cheap lousy commercial orgeat available where I am. What is the best substitute? Can I use amaretto?

View Profile of mick9 Send a personal message to mick9  Email mick9     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
CincyTikiCraig
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-04 10:37 pm   Permalink

Mick, I have used Amaretto with great success. In fact when I'm traveling and can't find orgeat I always use 3/4 amaretto with 1/4 simple syrup. I call it "emergency Orgeat". Use a good quality liqueur, like Di Saronno or Luxardo, they have a better almond purity than the cheap brands.

Cheers,

Craig

View Profile of CincyTikiCraig Send a personal message to CincyTikiCraig      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mick9
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-08-05 07:11 am   Permalink

Great! and it gives an extra kick of C2H5OH (ethanol)whereas the orgeat has none.

View Profile of mick9 Send a personal message to mick9  Email mick9     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Gnomon
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2009-08-05 11:29 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-08-04 22:37, CincyTikiCraig wrote:
Mick, I have used Amaretto with great success. In fact when I'm traveling and can't find orgeat I always use 3/4 amaretto with 1/4 simple syrup. I call it "emergency Orgeat". Use a good quality liqueur, like Di Saronno or Luxardo, they have a better almond purity than the cheap brands.

Cheers,

Craig

Not to be confused with
Emergency Orgeat Syrup.

View Profile of The Gnomon Send a personal message to The Gnomon      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation