FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Drinks and Food » » So what's the latest on Commercial Orgeat?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
So what's the latest on Commercial Orgeat?
CincyTikiCraig
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-05 8:15 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-08-05 11:29, The Gnomon wrote:
Quote:

On 2009-08-04 22:37, CincyTikiCraig wrote:
Mick, I have used Amaretto with great success. In fact when I'm traveling and can't find orgeat I always use 3/4 amaretto with 1/4 simple syrup. I call it "emergency Orgeat". Use a good quality liqueur, like Di Saronno or Luxardo, they have a better almond purity than the cheap brands.

Cheers,

Craig

Not to be confused with Emergency Orgeat Syrup.

Thanks for posting that link Gnomon. That recipe may be my new backup syrup when I'm on vacation.

Thanks again!

Mahalo,

Craig

View Profile of CincyTikiCraig Send a personal message to CincyTikiCraig      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
skeeter
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-08-06 11:54 am   Permalink

What was the problem with Monin?
Just curious...

I dig their Almond syrup.

View Profile of skeeter Send a personal message to skeeter  Goto the website of skeeter     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
CincyTikiCraig
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-06 1:16 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-08-06 11:54, skeeter wrote:
What was the problem with Monin?
Just curious...

I dig their Almond syrup.

I've always found Monin's almond to be quite good, although hard to find in my area. It's a heck of a lot better than the Torani that I used to use.

View Profile of CincyTikiCraig Send a personal message to CincyTikiCraig      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mick9
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-08-10 08:22 am   Permalink

I also can find nothing but torani in my area. Anyone in Vancouver area know where I can find better orgeat?

View Profile of mick9 Send a personal message to mick9  Email mick9     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Gnomon
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-10 10:12 am   Permalink

I was unaware that Torani made orgeat and I'd be surprised if they did.

They make an almond syrup, which of course, is not orgeat. The whole Torani line, just like other lines you can actually find in neighborhood stores, seems to be geared totally for using in brown water to mask the coffee flavor. That's really the only reason you can find them in the first place. They are harsh and not of mixological grade, but with all of the Starbucks and copycat chains peddling brown water, they do have a decent market.

The Greater Washington Area is about as cosmopolitan as they come, so you'd think you could find something as basic as orgeat in lots of stores. Nope. And I suspect that most parts of the country are even less inclined to have orgeat than the DC area.

That's why a long time ago I stopped even looking for it anymore and just went online to have it shipped to me.

But since my Emergency Orgeat tastes better than storebought, I hardly ever use anything else unless I'm up for making the real thing. Still, when I'm out of the ingredients for EO, it's always good to have some storebought on hand.

If you can't find orgeat in your area, why hold your tiki drinks hostage by using unworthy substitutes when you can just order it online?

[ This Message was edited by: The Gnomon 2009-08-10 10:15 ]

View Profile of The Gnomon Send a personal message to The Gnomon      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bewarethe151
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-08-10 12:59 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-08-10 10:12, The Gnomon wrote:
I was unaware that Torani made orgeat and I'd be surprised if they did.

[ This Message was edited by: The Gnomon 2009-08-10 10:15 ]

Acually, they do call it Orgeat. Well, they have both. They taste the same, though not very good.

[ This Message was edited by: bewarethe151 2009-08-10 13:24 ]

View Profile of bewarethe151 Send a personal message to bewarethe151      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bewarethe151
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-08-10 1:00 pm   Permalink

Years ago, it just said Almond Syrup. Now it says Orgeat Almond Syrup.

[ This Message was edited by: bewarethe151 2009-08-10 13:23 ]

View Profile of bewarethe151 Send a personal message to bewarethe151      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
quickiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-19 3:39 pm   Permalink

Has anyone tried Crème de Noyeau as an orgeat substitute in Mai Tais?

View Profile of quickiki Send a personal message to quickiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Rum Balls
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2009-08-20 08:28 am   Permalink

Quote:
Has anyone tried Crème de Noyeau as an orgeat substitute in Mai Tais?

Not specifically Creme de Noyeau, but I have used Amaretto a few times...taste is similar to me, but it does kick up the alcohol level a bit.

View Profile of Rum Balls Send a personal message to Rum Balls      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Gnomon
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-20 09:35 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-08-10 13:00, bewarethe151 wrote:
Years ago, it just said Almond Syrup. Now it says Orgeat Almond Syrup.

Just as I suspected. Wannabees Buttaints.

View Profile of The Gnomon Send a personal message to The Gnomon      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unga Bunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-20 10:48 am   Permalink

Quote:

How did I miss this?
Excellent thread Gnomon

Quote:

Wannabees Buttaints

And this also could be an excellent thread.

View Profile of Unga Bunga Send a personal message to Unga Bunga      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
quickiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-20 12:00 pm   Permalink

I'm sure kick the reverb doesn't want to see this, and this may have been posted elsewhere on this forum, but here's a really basic recipe for orgeat that doesn't sound too conplicated:

http://www.artofdrink.com/2006/02/orgeat-syrup.php

Anyone try this??

View Profile of quickiki Send a personal message to quickiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Gnomon
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-20 1:04 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-08-20 12:00, quickiki wrote:
I'm sure kick the reverb doesn't want to see this, and this may have been posted elsewhere on this forum, but here's a really basic recipe for orgeat that doesn't sound too conplicated:

http://www.artofdrink.com/2006/02/orgeat-syrup.php

Anyone try this??

Yes, sort of.

That is the more or less standard orgeat recipe. The most tedious part is making the almond milk. Here is something I posted a while back on
making almond milk.

The method I posted uses pre-blanched, slivered almonds, but you really get much better milk if you blanch your own nuts. Ouch!

Oh. I forgot to mention...

The OP stated at the outset that this thread was intended to determine which ready-made orgeats were worth acquiring. There has been plenty of discussion among purists on TC in other threads who extol the virtues of making it from scratch, myself included.

[ This Message was edited by: The Gnomon 2009-08-21 06:27 ]

kick_the_reverb
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-20 3:32 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-08-20 13:04, The Gnomon wrote:

Oh. I forgot to mention...

The OP stated at the outset that this thread was intended to determine which ready-made orgeats were worth acquiring. There has been plenty of discussion among purests on TC in other threads who extol the virtues of making it from scratch, myself included.

Thanks Gnomon...excatly, I know how to use the search feature, and have been on here a few years to read about home made stuff. Apart from Oasis time and other special occasions, I don't make large quantities of drinks.
High hassle factor + short shelf life + no need for large quantity = home made Orgeat not a good option.

Ran

View Profile of kick_the_reverb Send a personal message to kick_the_reverb  Email kick_the_reverb Goto the website of kick_the_reverb     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Gnomon
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-21 06:40 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-08-20 10:48, Unga Bunga wrote:
Quote:

How did I miss this?
Excellent thread Gnomon

Quote:

Wannabees Buttaints

And this also could be an excellent thread.

Thanks for the props. You're right about the thread idea; definitely Bilgeworthy. We might also want to start one called TMI.

Quote:

On 2009-08-20 15:32, kick_the_reverb wrote:
Thanks Gnomon...excatly, I know how to use the search feature, and have been on here a few years to read about home made stuff. Apart from Oasis time and other special occasions, I don't make large quantities of drinks.
High hassle factor + short shelf life + no need for large quantity = home made Orgeat not a good option.

Ran

NP. My Emergency Orgeat only takes ten minutes and, other than the fact that it has no thickness whatsoever, it tastes better than storebought and is probably easier to come by for a lot of people unless you order online at considerable expense. Still, it pays to have some storebought handy, so it's good to know what's good and what's not.

Hit the swaybar, face the speakers, and blast some screeching feedback! Or I suppose, in your case, you could kick the reverb.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation